Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm looking to see what kind of range you are getting on a tank of gas highway driving only. I have not really taken my Sorento on a real long trip to see what kind of actual range you can get. I will be going to Florida in March and would like to do some preplanning on stops an such.

Right now I get about 500km (312 miles) but it's mixed city highway driving. Really this is not a true test of the mileage I can get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I'd use what you have now so you plan on the conservative side. If you convert a "tank full" into miles per gallon, it may make your calculations easier.

Two weekends ago I took a trip accross the Cascade moutain range and got nearly 21 MPG. This surprised the hell out of me because the Sorento is only rated at 18 MPG highway, AND I was going accross a moutain range. I double checked on the way back, and came up with about the same calculation. Apparently the Sorento is very efficient at highway speeds with cool air.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I average between 18 miles to gallon in mostly city type driving to 21 mostly Highway driving. Going through the Ozark mountains I got about 19 mpg. If you want to be safe I would figurre on 18 to the gallon then you shouldn't cut it too close.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I drove from NY to florida w/ windows open or AC at some times, avg 20-21mpg.

On the way back with windows/ac/and heat (came back in january) I also got around 20mpg

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
In mixed driving I average about 17 - 18 mpg, about 315 miles to a tank. I am heading to Kansas City this weekend and plan to be conservative in my driving to see if I can't pump that mpg up a little.

I put in a K&N air filter and haven't seen the results I hoped to in mileage.

·
Registered
'04 Sorento X2, '07 Rondo
12 Posts
I average 18-20 and most of my driving is highway, this is with a K&N filter. I also don't see a great improvement in MPG but mt Sorento is quicker, plus I'll save money in the long run, the factory air filter is $19.95 at the dealer and $12.95 at AutoZone, I paid $42.95 for the K&N.

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coach7 let me know how many miles you get per tank. I just looked back on some of my own records of a trip I took to Sudbury last summer.

Using A/C (It was really hot that weekend) I managed to get a range of around 400 miles. Now this time I won't be using the A/C until I hit FLA so I guess that's a start.

·
Registered
06' Blue Sorrento LX
11 Posts
I can't believe the poor fuel milage these things get. They have good aero, light weight and decent sized engine, it must be the gear ratios. I can get 18-20 mpg from a full size 9,000 lb dodge diesel truck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
LIGHT WIEGHT, have you looked at the door plakard, nearly 6,000 pounds empty. My supercrew ford with a 5.4 only wieghs 1600 more pounds

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Filled up 5 minutes ago. 337 miles on the tank, the fuel light just came on. 18.5 mpg, better than the previous tank which was 15 mpg. I figure my mileage will improve, at least I hope, I don't even have 7,000 miles on the vehicle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I get around the same Mileage as you do Dman, 500km/tank with mix hwy/city driving. My best tank is 617km on the highway back from Montreal. works out to about 11L/100km

Derek

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting no's - Kia Handbook says the tanks is 80l- I periodically put in 85-86liters. Mixed driving I get about 650 km per tank, country driving about 750km - Still i think the fuel consumption is heavey,. Previous manula was much better - drive an 05 auto.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts