Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have now had my Rio5 for almost a month and a half now, and I've been loving it. I drive 21 miles each way to work, Monday-Friday, in So. Cal traffic everyday, and I'm enjoying the much improved MPG over my Subaru WRX wagon that I traded in for my Rio5.

I know that the "Trip" meter isn't a 100% accurate representation of mileage, so when I fill up, I always divide the mileage on my "A" mode by the number of gallons I put in, which has typically been 9.6-9.7 gallons. This has yielded me an average of 31.5-32.5 MPG (non ECO mode, ECO mode makes the car run like crap).

Ok, now on to something odd that I noticed the other night. My gas light had come on during my drive home from work, and I was about 18 miles out from home, no biggie (there are plenty of gas stations off of the fwy). So I watched my "Range" setting of the Trip meter go from 31 miles (it stayed at 31 miles for what seemed like 3 miles), then it went to 28 miles, and then it showed "- - -", meaning no miles left?

In any event, I found that to be odd that the last reading was 28 miles, then the - - - showed up. Or maybe it couldn't get a reading? When I arrived at the gas station, I topped it off at 9.7 gallons. I know they allow some padding on the alert, so people fill up sooner than later, and don't run out of gas.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Ok, now on to something odd that I noticed the other night. My gas light had come on during my drive home from work, and I was about 18 miles out from home, no biggie (there are plenty of gas stations off of the fwy). So I watched my "Range" setting of the Trip meter go from 31 miles (it stayed at 31 miles for what seemed like 3 miles), then it went to 28 miles, and then it showed "- - -", meaning no miles left?

In any event, I found that to be odd that the last reading was 28 miles, then the - - - showed up. Or maybe it couldn't get a reading? When I arrived at the gas station, I topped it off at 9.7 gallons. I know they allow some padding on the alert, so people fill up sooner than later, and don't run out of gas.

Ditto

I have 4,000 miles on mine. I let the gas tank run down just once to verify my low fuel indicator actually worked. My trip meter did exactly what yours did. It stayed at 31 miles for a longer period then normal, dropped to 28 miles, and then went to "---" until I filled it up (9.6) gallons. It would appear that KIA doesn't want you trusting the trip meter below 30 miles. I can't say as I blame them because this calculation is based on your average mileage during a long driving interval, and your last 30 miles could be all city driving at a much higher fuel consumption rate.

I have a 17 mile drive to work with 9 stop lights and the rest highway. I am averaging 32.6 MPG even in this colder weather with ISG on, and ECO off. I agree with you 100% that ECO Mode = No Fun!

I hope you continue to love your car :)

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts

this is normal as it does this around 30 miles or around 50 km, it does the same on my Soul. It can't be precise to the last drop and hence leave you stranded. It does tell you this in your owners manual (page 4/51). Your low fuel light will come on before this happens too so you get two warnings to get fuel, so if you see ---, get some fuel, you've been reminded for the last time :D

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Displaying --- is a standard feature. The estimates are approximate, and they don't want you taking the estimate too literally. This is possibly to avoid legal action in an emergency situation, e.g. Rushing a sick child to hospital: "But KIA said I had enough gas to get there".

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
My 06 Sedona, 07 Optima, 09 Amanti all show "---" below 30 miles.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replies, glad to here this is a normal thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts