Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul, 2013 KIA Rio 5 Door
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2013 Rio 5 for about 2 1/2 weeks and absolutely happy with it. I've only had 1 minor issue occur twice since owning it. When I put on the turn signal, be it left or right, sometimes after I turn off the signal or it turns "off" automatically from wheel angle...the turn signal will still remain on. I'll even move it to left if it's on the right or vice versa and sometimes it just sticks on for a bit. If it occurs again, and I'm sure it will, I'll give the dealership a call. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this occur. First time it happened I was turning off of a big exit ramp that looped back around and when I came out of the turn and my turn signal lever went to the off position, the turn signal stayed on for quite a few more seconds.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 & 2009 Rav4 Sport V6
104 Posts
This is a feature of the vehicle. It's called one touch turn signal operation. When you turn it on or even tap it and release for when you are doing a lane change, the signal stays on. I think it stays on for about 5 seconds minimum. So, if you hold the turn signal for more than 5 seconds, it will turn off right away when you release it. If you tap and let go of it for like 1 second, it'll stay on until the 5 seconds are up.

Basically, without this feature, if you were signalling a lane change, you'll have to hold the turn signal until you finish your lane change if you wanted to keep signalling (or press it all the way but then have to turn it off manually cause a lane change usually won't trigger the release). With this feature, you can just tap the turn signal and then it'll automatically turn off after a few seconds and presumably, you would have finished your lane change by then.

The first time I drove it, it startled me cause I let go and it was still signalling. I tried to turn it off thinking I pushed it all the way down, ended up signaling the other direction...haha.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Mercedes calls it "Lane Change Device". One of the many things Kia has borrowed from the Germans like the Air Conditioned Glove Box. If you touch the lever quickly it flashes 3 times (roughly as long as it takes to change lanes). As a retired 16 year veteran Mercedes Salesman I have always liked it:)

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
Mercedes calls it "Lane Change Device". One of the many things Kia has borrowed from the Germans like the Air Conditioned Glove Box. If you touch the lever quickly it flashes 3 times (roughly as long as it takes to change lanes). As a retired 16 year veteran Mercedes Salesman I have always liked it:)
not surprising when the chief head designer for Kia, Peter Schreyer is German and based there. Remember he also worked for Audi and VW before joining Kia. :D

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Turn Signal Tap

Yes - This is a GREAT feature. Lots of cool things on these new Rio's :)

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul, 2013 KIA Rio 5 Door
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not surprising when the chief head designer for Kia, Peter Schreyer is German and based there. Remember he also worked for Audi and VW before joining Kia. :D
Yes, I read he used to work for Audi and VW and used some of that styling into Kia and especially it's new "tiger nose" front end which I really like and makes all Kias look more aggressive.:D

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
This feature should only initiate when you just touch the indicator. Not when you've fully 'clicked' the indicator on. If it does it in that circumstance then you have an issue. As mentioned with the soft touch feature, it should flash three times then stop.

From reading your post, you say it stays on after being in the clicked position. That's not normal.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
As OzSLS said:
1. if you just TOUCH (up or down), without locking turn signal AND if little RIO has '3 blink line change' feature, than turn signal should blink 3 times and that's it.
2. if you pull to lock turn signal (so it will flash forever or until steering wheel moves it into neutral position) signal should STOP right away. If it continues to flash then KIA screwed us something implementing #1 or your unit is defective.
You definitely do not want turn signal to continue flashing AFTER you completed turn.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 & 2009 Rav4 Sport V6
104 Posts
As OzSLS said:
1. if you just TOUCH (up or down), without locking turn signal AND if little RIO has '3 blink line change' feature, than turn signal should blink 3 times and that's it.
2. if you pull to lock turn signal (so it will flash forever or until steering wheel moves it into neutral position) signal should STOP right away. If it continues to flash then KIA screwed us something implementing #1 or your unit is defective.
You definitely do not want turn signal to continue flashing AFTER you completed turn.
Actually, in case #2 above, if you cancel the signal by manually pushing it back right away, it will still blink the 3 times. It will always bliink the minimum 3 times so it will stop right away if you had let it blink at least 3 times, but if you lock the turn signal and unlock it after it's only blinked once, it'll still continue until the 3 times are up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts