Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 kia rio5/2013 kia Rio LX Sedan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2007 Kia Rio5 with 118,000 miles. as i was pulling into my driveway today all of a sudden the engine light came on and started blinking. I open hood and the engine is shaking and I could hear it missing.

I take it to a local shop and they ran the code and it said random misfire
number one cylinder or coil. of course they try to get me to replace all 4 coils and all 4 plugs and have them do a complete fuel system clean, for a cool $550.00

after they gave me the estimate i told them i deliver auto parts and i can buy my parts for half of what any parts store sells them for, and a competitor of yours only charges me $30 a hour for labor.

also now my car isnt missing anymore and the engine light isnt blinking
I did immediatley fill up the car with premium fuel and added lucas oil fuel treatment. so where do i start? should i try to find out which coil is misfiring?
and only replace that coil? or replace all four ? or start out with just replacing the plugs first?

i have acdelco plugs in the car now, should i buy ngk plugs ?

any help or advice is greatly appreciated
thx

·
Registered
06 Rio, 136K miles
77 Posts
Here's my suggestion. Replace all 4 plugs and buy a coil. I bought one at the local auto parts store for $112 +tax. I then found one on ebay for $22 including shipping. I bought the local one because I needed it immediately and then bought a spare from ebay (the two of them look identical). This is a known issue and I'm sure it will come back. Google "2007 kia rio reliability msn" to see what I'm talking about.

I don't think premium gas and oil treatment will fix your issue.

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
Too funny.

I thought I was the only one.

Wife and I were loading crap into the hatch, she looks over and asks, "What's in that box?"... "Two coil packs, some spark plugs, oil, bottle of water, fuses, 2 ft of wire, and a tow rope."

Yup... Won't be me with the orange sticker on the side of the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts