Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep coming back to why Kia would go to the expense of installing rain sensors on the passenger side of the rear view mirror front windshield if they had no functionality.
At the same time I have noticed when the HAC is in Auto mode, that the front defogger will occasionally come on automatically. Indeed on a few occasions, we were thinking of pressing the switch, only to notice that it was already on.
Is it possible that the rain sensor might be detecting a moisture build up on the inside of the windshield; thus triggering the front defogger to function ?
Given how rain sensors work, I would think that the front defogger would also come on when it rains. I have not yet noticed whether it does.

So much for theory that rain might trigger the front defogger to come on as coincidently it just happens to be raining.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX-L, 99 Camry LE, 93 Turbo MR2
30 Posts
Wait.. how do yo know that box on the windshield is a rain sensor? I wondered what it was.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least in the Canadian manual (Page 4-114), there is a photo of it along under a section labelled "Auto Control if equipped"; takes up 3 columns of the manual in the Windshield wiper section. But this same section shows that if the car has an operational rain sensor the stauk on right side of steering wheel (photo also included with an A and B variant), will have an "On" and "Off" settings rather than the usual Off, Int, Low, High.

I am curious if this section is in the U.S. manual and is the "rain sensor" in all trim levels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its on page 4-114 of the US manual. And it does indeed say Rain Sensor. Are the CA Sorentos built in GA, USA? I wonder what other thinks CA folks have that might just be "disabled" on US models.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Canadian sorentos are built at West Point Georgia and similar to U.S. cars, do not have a functioning "rain sensor"; have the conventional "Off, Int, Low, High" wiper settings. A functioning rain sensor as in the photos in the manual have an "on" and "off" setting.
So goes back to why install a component that does not have any functionality, unless it has a non rain senor function not discussed in the manual.
Sorentos do have functioning rain sensors elsewhere in the world, even headlight wipers.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Sorentos do have functioning rain sensors elsewhere in the world, even headlight wipers.
Headlight washers yes but headlight wipers not sure !

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see the UK version features include "front headlight washers" but does not mention wipers. I would have thought that with washers, you would need wipers.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
I see the UK version features include "front headlight washers" but does not mention wipers. I would have thought that with washers, you would need wipers.
Here is an exemple of headlight washer on a BMW :

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I wonder if it in't pre-wired...I'd be curious to see if a rain sensing wiper switch were installed if it would work.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wonder if it in't pre-wired...I'd be curious to see if a rain sensing wiper switch were installed if it would work.
I would say no otherwise why not offering it if it would be just a question of a simple switch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After pouring over the schematics and repair manual diagrams (who oh why do they require Flash and Adobe SVG!!!), the sensor on the window is a Auto Defoging/Humidity Sensor.

"The auto defogging sensor is installed on the front window glass. The sensor judges and sends signal if moisture occurs to blow out wind for defogging. The air conditioner control module receives signal from the sensor and restrains moisture and eliminate defog by controlling the intake actuator, A/C, auto defogging actuator, blower motor rpm, and mode actuator.

The Auto Defogger sensor is installed on front window glass. The Auto Defogger sensor senses any moisture on the interior of the windshield.While controlling the temperature and Mode(direction of air) set by driver, if the humidity is higher than certain level, the Air condtioner control Module automatically controls auto defogging mode. Air conditioner control module exits auto defogging when the humidity is decreased. "

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The Rios/Fortes have cruise control with the addition of the factory switch. My Sedona has steering wheel audio remote after adding the switch....Kia seems to like to control feature offerings by nothing other than the switch, at least, in some cases.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After pouring over the schematics and repair manual diagrams (who oh why do they require Flash and Adobe SVG!!!), the sensor on the window is a Auto Defoging/Humidity Sensor.

"The auto defogging sensor is installed on the front window glass. The sensor judges and sends signal if moisture occurs to blow out wind for defogging. The air conditioner control module receives signal from the sensor and restrains moisture and eliminate defog by controlling the intake actuator, A/C, auto defogging actuator, blower motor rpm, and mode actuator.

The Auto Defogger sensor is installed on front window glass. The Auto Defogger sensor senses any moisture on the interior of the windshield.While controlling the temperature and Mode(direction of air) set by driver, if the humidity is higher than certain level, the Air condtioner control Module automatically controls auto defogging mode. Air conditioner control module exits auto defogging when the humidity is decreased. "
Well, nice to finally resolve the function of what the manual labels a rain sensor "if available". It's a nice feature and would have been helpful if the manual had described it's function.
I assume as a result that it is only installed on models with automatic HAC.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX / 2013 Chevy Equinox LT2
42 Posts
Thanks for the clarifaction! I was told from my service manager that it was a rain sensor but when i go through the car wash they never came on.. Auto-fog sensor now makes sense!

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The main clue when it is not raining, that it is not a rain sensor per the manual is the wiper staulk has the usual Off, Intermediate, Low and High settings. The wiper with the rain sensor as in the photo in the manual has an on and off setting.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Canadian as well has "Auto"; should have said that earlier rather than On and Off. Point is that with rain sensor, settings are different from he conventional settings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts