Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Magentis
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a aftermarket stereo into my new magentis so I went to the local car stereo shop to buy a wire harness adapter and install kit. Turns out that the radio is DIN so there is no need for a install kit. The biggest problem is that they do not make a wire harness adapter for this car. I have to splice into the existing harness or wire one up seperately. I would prefer to tap into the existing harness.

Does anybody have a wire diagram for me to look at?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Magentis
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I searched and nothing came up with nothing. A quick call to the local dealer and a couple hours later I got a fax ... now the stereo is in and playing MP3's. Why do can manufaturers not make this a stock item now <_<

Anyway here is the wires on the plug for future reference

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Originally posted by snoman@Jun 22 2005, 11:28 AM
I searched and nothing came up with nothing.  A quick call to the local dealer and a couple hours later I got a fax ... now the stereo is in and playing MP3's.  Why do can manufaturers not make this a stock item now  <_<

Anyway here is the wires on the plug for future reference
LOL.. I hear ya on that one.. some car do come with it.. Ford Focus main i've seen so far.. newayz, thanks for the info.. how hard/easy was it to install the radio? :unsure:

Hmm.. I've checked out the .pdf file that you've provided and well.. it doesn't explain very much. Just a bunch of boxes with "RR-" and "LR-" etc.. any ideas?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
which illumination wire did you use. i have an alpine cva-1004 and at night i can not turn the brightness down far enough to not blind me while im driving. i would just try both i really dont want to mess up my stereo, or blow more fuses ( had a slight problem when installing )

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I have never seen pink and grey as illumination wires. I have seen orange and yellow but never pink and grey.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
look at snomans diagram.

yellow - switched 12+
orange - constant 12+
pink - illumination?
dark grey (maybe very dark brown) - illumination?
green - right rear -
orange (same exact color as constant 12+) - right rear +
red - right front -
blue - right front +
black - left front -
yellow (same exact color as switched 12+) - left front +
brown - left rear -
light yellow - left rear +
light grey - not listed
black w/orange stripe - ground

i guess i will try to send snoman a pm to see what he did. also what would help is if anybody has changed their stereo using a factory adapt wiring harness like schoshe(not sure on spelling) or from crutchfield. thanks

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Thanks snoman for the wiring diagram that's exacly what I needed !!! I bought an after market MP3 player deck monday and I've been looking and calling everywhere around here for a wire harness but no luck. I had already put the deck in monday thinking I would find a harness sometime soon. In the end I got my local Canadian Tire store to order one today but it will take up to 8 days to get it.

So tonight when I saw this post I went strait to my car and wired the deck temporarlly by soldering the tip of the wires and then inserting them and taping them one by one each in their spot. If someone had some kind of metal tips you could add to the wires and then insert them strait in the existing harness you could do without a harness. Also my deck is kinda cheap so there isnt any illumination wire for it.

For the ones that would like to know how to take out the factory deck I will try to explain how I did it. I first read a post on here that Spec SX gave guidance on how to do it, but I found my car to be different from that.

First I took the silver ring around the base of the shifter out. I dont know if that is necessary but I think it helps taking the rest out after. I think taking that silver ring without scrating or breaking anything was the harderst part. I used a flathead screwdriver. Then after that was out I just pulled on the big piece at the bottom there (what's around the shifter, handbrake and the cup holders). There are lots of clips but it should come out easilly, you have to pull the handbrake to get it out.

After that big piece is out, you will see 2 screws in the lips holding the bottom of the center console that surrounds the factory deck, temperature and etc... Take those 2 screws out with your phillips head screw driver. Now that whole piece is ready to come out, it uses the same clips as the other one, and comes out pretty easilly just by using your hands, you'll have to get your shifter in D to get the whole piece out, you might also want to also disconnect a few wires back there, to give you more room to work with. Now you should be able to get the factory deck out by unscrewing 4 philliphead screws. By the was those were **** hard to take out they were screwed in VERY VERY tight!

After that it's just a matter of installing the your new neck and putting everything back together. Although I had to fit my deck in from the front, so I put everything back together and then fitted the deck from the front. I dont even have it secured to anything, but it slides in very snug and it sits on top of the little cd tray and doesnt move a bit.

I do have a problem with the aftermarket deck fitting in because of that cd tray. Once you put the outer trim ring it's much bigger then then factory deck, so first of all it doesnt go in all the way, but I dont care about that because it looks nice that it's sticking out a bit. But what bugs me is the little door for the cd tray underneath that wont close now because the outer ring blocks it. I could close that door and have the ring over it and not being able to open it but I love that space to store my cd's, so I deceided to keep it there and have it sitting over the ring, it misses like half an inch to be able to close wich isnt that bad, at least I got my MP3 deck in there and looks better.

I left all the factory speakers in there, it now sounds better then before even without changing the speakers. I find the 6X9's in the back dont sound as good as the front speakers with tweaters, so if I were to change speakers it would be the ones in the back I would do first.

I hope this can clear up some of your concerns for any of you out there wanting to change their decks, sorry if I'm sometimes hard to understand, I'm not english my first language is french....

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Actually I just looked at my deck's owner's manual over again, and I was supposed to install the brackets on this deck and screw it there like the factory one, but I dont like the fact that I'll have to take everything appart each time I need to get behind it, to change fuses or connect RCA cables and etc..... I guess I should put it in right maybe I'll do that once I get my harness.....

·
Registered
2004 Kia Magentis
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to hear that my diagram is getting lots of use ... I was never worried about the dimmer but the wiring must have on. My deck only dims a little when I turn the lights on, similar to the clock. I am sure you could tap into the hearter controls to get a dimming wire set up.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
But my after market deck only has 8 wires for speakers, one ground, one 12v memory, one 12v ignition wire and a remote wire.... Nothing on there for dimming, so how am I suppose to add a dimming wire on my deck?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
you cant add a dimming wire. the stereo either has it or doesnt. though please please please please please post which wire is the dimming wire when you get your harness. also i could not get that chrome ring off my shifter, i actually thought that was what was being talked about in the other post and ended up scratching it really bad. what i ended up doin was to open the cup holder and pull up on it since that gave me a place to pull on.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Ok well it's good to know that people dont need to get that chrome ring off, sorry you scratched yours..... Once I get my harness I'll tell you what it says for the dimming. I also thought that I couldn't have dimming on my after market deck, since there arent any wires for it. I dont care though since the brightness on my deck is perfect, you can easilly see at day or night on it.

Another problem I'm facing is to install my new deck behind everything, like the factory one. I took the 2 brackets of the factory deck and tried to put them on my new deck and it doesnt seem to fit in the same spot, in my manual it only shows where to put the brackets for nissan's or toyota's... So I might have to just leave it how it is now. I'll give it a try once I get my harness but it doesnt seem like it's gonna fit like the factory one....

How did it work out for you snoman when you installed the new deck, did the brackets fit right in and does it fit flush with the rest like the old one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Console removal
I removed the silver ring around the shifter.

Are you saying to remove the center console (defined as the plastic section with wood grain surrounding the gear shift and cup holder) is to just keep prying?

That makes me nervous

I was given an OmniFi media player so I was going to install it under the factory radio. It’s kind of cool. It has a 30 gig hard drive and you sync it up with a wifi connection to your home pc.
I have to use a fm modular to the because there is no aux in.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Yes that's exacly what I mean, I didnt have to pry at all to remove it, I just pulled on it with my bare hands and it came out, there are about 6 clips under there and it should come out by pulling, like someone said try opening the cup holders and pulling from that or even inside the cup holders.

Good luck, hope you manage to get it out....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts