Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was disappointed yesterday when I found out that there is no installation kit for my particular dash to allow aftermarket radios to be installed.

I have the Infinity radio in my 2011 Kia Sorento SX V6 with Navigation. It seems like my only option is to replace with the kind of radio that I already have.

The Best Buy Associate stated that the dash for the Kia Sorento's with the navigation system is somehow different and there's no kit that will permit an aftermarket radio.

Two questions:
1. Has anyone found a workaround?
2. Are there newer Kia Sorento radios that will fit my dash that have Apple Carplay?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6
6 Posts
I joined this forum just a few minutes ago to ask the same question. I have a 2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 with the same unit which is a 96560-1U000. I bought a decent no CD Android radio on eBay and have it here. It is terrific to find out the harness for it doesn't work after you take out the OEM head unit. The seller is sending me the correct harness. You also need the Metra 40-KI11 antenna adapter. I am guessing the XM radio connector is not needed. I am not going to cut the OEM wires. I am not that desperate to make it work.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
I've been looking for a while. I also have the navigation head unit, 96560-1U000. I'm having some luck but as you've found, there is an issue because of the amplifier. As far as I know, all navigation units come with the amplifier under the passenger seat.

I'm trying to find a workaround and have found the following so far:
  • At least one person I came across bypassed the amplifier and hooked up their unit to the stock speakers. I'm trying to avoid this as it gets messy with all the wires.
  • On several occasions, vendors had incorrect listings that show they can support the navigation head unit and then told me they couldn't. The conversations usually start by them asking me to send a picture of my dash, followed by them asking if I have an amplifier under the passenger seat, leading them to finally say they can't support it. This happens even though their product listing clearly show a navigation unit as the "before" image and their product in the "after" unit. In the questions and reviews for some of the listings there are both those that have not been able to make units work and some that have made the units work. Some even indicated the vendor sent another cable that worked. Some vendors just don't respond. As I provide more info or ask more questions, some vendor conversations devolve into them asking me to purchase their product saying they'll throw in a free rear view camera without answering my questions, essentially just giving up, I guess.
  • There is an aftermarket product that is supposed to work. I found it here: https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-HYKIA4-SWC Manufacturer lists it for $270 but I've found it for around $180 on Amazon, I think. Not sure if it works with all units and what features it keeps. It was too expensive for me so I discounted this option completely.
  • See if there is a way to make a harness that will work. This is complicated as not all information is available. I'm currently exploring this option.
My main concern is to have an Android head unit. The music is important but I'm not an audiophile. So, if the music is OK, I'll be satisfied. I listen to the radio occasionally and usually listen to music from my phone or from a USB stick.

Semper Fidelis, can you let us know why you want or need Apple Carplay? The reason I ask is because I am looking for an Android head unit specifically to avoid having to use my phone. There are some apps I use that use a lot of battery on my phone and are more suited to a car head unit. An example is the Waze app. Also, easier to work with files on a USB stick that to have to load and reload those on my phone. FYI, I believe you can get an Apple Carplay USB dongles to add that functionality to head units and there are multiple manufacturers/vendors that sell them. From what I've read, some people have reported problems with them. I have an Android phone and I'm not sure what functionality Apple Carplay provides especially if those functions are available on the head unit.

NLA, hopefully, the vendor knows what you are looking for and will deliver. Please let us know the link to the head unit product and provide more info about the head unit you purchased, like model, features, etc. Let us know how the new harness works out and if you can, post pictures of both the head unit and the harness.

I'll have more information about what I find later.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6
6 Posts
Here is the one I bought off of eBay (2 GB Memory / 32 GB Storage / No CD):

This is the harness pictured in the listing, but I received an entirely different one. It does look like it has the correct OEM adapters:

This harness claims to support the Infinity systems, but to my eyes it doesn't look like it has everything:

Here is the antenna adapter:

So I guess you leave the passenger air bag/dash clock cable, XM cable, XM antenna, and GPS antenna unplugged and tape them together if possible to keep them quiet and use the GPS antenna that comes with the unit instead.

I listen to the radio, would like to use a wireless computer tester dongle and apps to see diagnostics like Torque Pro, and want to use modern navigation like Waze instead of paying Kia $145 each year to have updated maps on their outdated head unit.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Plus you can add any other Android apps.

I've attached an image of the back of the head unit. I've indicated the connector that's important for the amplifier to work, the white one. If you look at the web page https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-HYKIA4-SWC, one of the images shows the connector clearly and the pins that are used. The white one also has pins for the rear camera, however, I don't think these Android head units can use the factory rear view camera...at least not without modifications.

The radio AM/FM antenna connector is grey, just to the left of the white connector. The GPS and XM satellite connectors are the two connectors on the top left. Blue is for GPS and Curry colour (that's what the manufacturer of these connectors called it) is for XM satellite. These two are "Fakra" connectors. If these Android units ever work, I plan on purchasing a connector so that the antenna on the roof can be used for GPS. It's a Fakra Z Plug to SMA plug adapter.

Please post a picture of the harness that they already sent you, if possible.

By the way, I don't believe the labels on the ISO port connector image you uploaded match the actual pin outs for the navigation head unit. Have you tried connecting it yet? You should be careful. If there are voltages where there shouldn't be, I'm not sure what would happen.

Anyway, when I've gotten further along in digging into all of this, I'll post the details in a post I originally started for this. It only has my first post in it asking for info, like a few of the other posts about this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been looking for a while. I also have the navigation head unit, 96560-1U000. I'm having some luck but as you've found, there is an issue because of the amplifier. As far as I know, all navigation units come with the amplifier under the passenger seat.

I'm trying to find a workaround and have found the following so far:
  • At least one person I came across bypassed the amplifier and hooked up their unit to the stock speakers. I'm trying to avoid this as it gets messy with all the wires.
  • On several occasions, vendors had incorrect listings that show they can support the navigation head unit and then told me they couldn't. The conversations usually start by them asking me to send a picture of my dash, followed by them asking if I have an amplifier under the passenger seat, leading them to finally say they can't support it. This happens even though their product listing clearly show a navigation unit as the "before" image and their product in the "after" unit. In the questions and reviews for some of the listings there are both those that have not been able to make units work and some that have made the units work. Some even indicated the vendor sent another cable that worked. Some vendors just don't respond. As I provide more info or ask more questions, some vendor conversations devolve into them asking me to purchase their product saying they'll throw in a free rear view camera without answering my questions, essentially just giving up, I guess.
  • There is an aftermarket product that is supposed to work. I found it here: https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-HYKIA4-SWC Manufacturer lists it for $270 but I've found it for around $180 on Amazon, I think. Not sure if it works with all units and what features it keeps. It was too expensive for me so I discounted this option completely.
  • See if there is a way to make a harness that will work. This is complicated as not all information is available. I'm currently exploring this option.
My main concern is to have an Android head unit. The music is important but I'm not an audiophile. So, if the music is OK, I'll be satisfied. I listen to the radio occasionally and usually listen to music from my phone or from a USB stick.

Semper Fidelis, can you let us know why you want or need Apple Carplay? The reason I ask is because I am looking for an Android head unit specifically to avoid having to use my phone. There are some apps I use that use a lot of battery on my phone and are more suited to a car head unit. An example is the Waze app. Also, easier to work with files on a USB stick that to have to load and reload those on my phone. FYI, I believe you can get an Apple Carplay USB dongles to add that functionality to head units and there are multiple manufacturers/vendors that sell them. From what I've read, some people have reported problems with them. I have an Android phone and I'm not sure what functionality Apple Carplay provides especially if those functions are available on the head unit.

NLA, hopefully, the vendor knows what you are looking for and will deliver. Please let us know the link to the head unit product and provide more info about the head unit you purchased, like model, features, etc. Let us know how the new harness works out and if you can, post pictures of both the head unit and the harness.

I'll have more information about what I find later.
The reason I want Apple Carplay support is primarily so I can run Podcast and Map apps on my car radio. WE use iPhones so I'm fine with a radio that supports both.

The reason I have to replace the current radio is that it is blanking out about half the time. The radio plays and I can still use bluetooth but the screen is blank. I found a replacement radio on eBay for $150 used which is what I'll go with if I can't replace it with anything else.

I'm reticent to try to figure out how to find all the pieces and parts to wire it all myself. I have early macular degeneration and it's hard for me to do detail work anymore and I guess I could find an installer to do ti.

What I was wondering is if any of the newer Kia radios will fit my existing setup with no modifications. Perhaps they have the Apple Carplay (or Android support). I tried searching for the idea of putting a more modern infinity radio in a 2011 Kia but can't find anything online.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
Semper Fidelis, if you end up getting an Android head unit, you'll be able to install podcast and map apps from the Google Play store. Many to choose from. Usually the same Apple app is available for Android, such as Stitcher for podcasts and Google Maps, Sygic, Waze, iGo and many more for maps. You can browse the Play store at https://play.google.com and see map apps at https://play.google.com/store/search?q=maps&c=apps and podcast apps at https://play.google.com/store/search?q=podcast&c=apps.

If all goes well and I figure it all out, I'll post pictures and instructions on what to do. Possibly, you can take the info to a local car audio shop or a friend that can help out.

I'm pretty sure that you can't fit a newer Kia radio. I'm pretty sure that they started to get larger and the connectors, amplifiers, etc would be all different.

So, the easiest way is to replace the navigation unit with the same unit. If you can wait, hopefully I'll figure it all out and you'll have more options. There are 10 inch units, such as the one that NLA showed, that may work.

NLA, would you also post a picture of the back of your Android unit. Also, did the vendor provide a map of the pin outs so that you could figure out or make your own harness? If so, please post that as well.

As for the image of the black connector, it's definitely wrong. Perhaps that is for a different model radio or a older model Sorento. It's unfortunate that these vendors don't provide all of the information beforehand or say they support something but later we find out that they're wrong. A definite red flag is that the Ebay listing shows it supports 2009-2012 model Sorentos. If the vendor ends up not providing a harness that works, you could probably get a refund from Ebay. The head unit is unusable without the harness or at least a mapping of the pin outs. The product listing clearly shows that the 2011 / 2012 SX model is supported, which I believe only came with the navigation head units. I, as well, do not want to cut the vehicle harnesses. I've used Ebay dispute resolution and they've been pretty good.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Semper Fidelis, if you end up getting an Android head unit, you'll be able to install podcast and map apps from the Google Play store. Many to choose from. Usually the same Apple app is available for Android, such as Stitcher for podcasts and Google Maps, Sygic, Waze, iGo and many more for maps. You can browse the Play store at https://play.google.com and see map apps at https://play.google.com/store/search?q=maps&c=apps and podcast apps at https://play.google.com/store/search?q=podcast&c=apps.

If all goes well and I figure it all out, I'll post pictures and instructions on what to do. Possibly, you can take the info to a local car audio shop or a friend that can help out.

I'm pretty sure that you can't fit a newer Kia radio. I'm pretty sure that they started to get larger and the connectors, amplifiers, etc would be all different.

So, the easiest way is to replace the navigation unit with the same unit. If you can wait, hopefully I'll figure it all out and you'll have more options. There are 10 inch units, such as the one that NLA showed, that may work.

NLA, would you also post a picture of the back of your Android unit. Also, did the vendor provide a map of the pin outs so that you could figure out or make your own harness? If so, please post that as well.

As for the image of the black connector, it's definitely wrong. Perhaps that is for a different model radio or a older model Sorento. It's unfortunate that these vendors don't provide all of the information beforehand or say they support something but later we find out that they're wrong. A definite red flag is that the Ebay listing shows it supports 2009-2012 model Sorentos. If the vendor ends up not providing a harness that works, you could probably get a refund from Ebay. The head unit is unusable without the harness or at least a mapping of the pin outs. The product listing clearly shows that the 2011 / 2012 SX model is supported, which I believe only came with the navigation head units. I, as well, do not want to cut the vehicle harnesses. I've used Ebay dispute resolution and they've been pretty good.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not averse to Android and have owned some Android devices.

I'm intrigued by what you mean by an "Android head unit". I assumed you meant a device that allowed you to connect to your Android phone but it appears that you're talking about a device that has Android running on it without the phone. Do you have a link to the product you have in mind that runs the Android OS?

If the head unit runs Android in the car then how does it connect to the internet to use the Google play apps? Does it have its own 45 radio in it that you have to connect through a service provider?

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
Yes, the head unit actually runs Android. Think of it as an Android tablet with extra inputs and functionality that a normal head unit provides, such as a radio. These units can be found on Amazon, EBay and AliExpress. They are mostly, if not all, from Chinese manufacturers...they're pretty much the only ones that I've found so far that are making them. Youtube has a few videos in English too...most are in Russian as the Chinese manufacturers ship a lot to Russia, I guess.

There are quite a few vendors/manufacturers. The functionality on these either varies a little bit or varies greatly. The cost does too. It's also hard to know about support. There are some specifically for our model year Sorento. Some come with a dash fascia to make the integration look like a factory install.

Most, if not all, have the issue about connecting to the external amplifier for the factory navigation head unit. Still looking into it.

Here are a few links where some of them also have videos to show some functionality. There are options for memory RAM and ROM, such as 2GB Ram + 32GB Rom or 4GB Ram + 64GB Rom. The ones specifically for our model Sorento come with the fascia:

The last four weren't for the Sorento but were in English or showed some of the functionality without any speaking.

Some head units have a 4G radio so you can install a SIM like a phone and get data that way or most, if not all, have WiFi that can tether to your phone or a portable hotspot. If you're at home with a WiFi router, it can connect to that and you can get internet access that way too. You can use Chrome, Google Maps and Youtube, etc on these too.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6
6 Posts
I think the black connector is correct as it matches the one at the bottom right of the back of the OEM head unit. There must be another connector for the white Infinity plug in the middle of the OEM unit.

An Android Head Unit is a replacement that runs Android as the OS like an Android phone or tablet. You download apps by connecting it to WiFi or tethering it to your phone's connection.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
When I look at image of the black plug you uploaded, it doesn't look like the connector on the bottom right of the factory navigation head unit. I think the connectors shown attached below match. The iso male matches the head unit and plugs into the vehicle harness, the iso female.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the head unit actually runs Android. Think of it as an Android tablet with extra inputs and functionality that a normal head unit provides, such as a radio. These units can be found on Amazon, EBay and AliExpress. They are mostly, if not all, from Chinese manufacturers...they're pretty much the only ones that I've found so far that are making them. Youtube has a few videos in English too...most are in Russian as the Chinese manufacturers ship a lot to Russia, I guess.

There are quite a few vendors/manufacturers. The functionality on these either varies a little bit or varies greatly. The cost does too. It's also hard to know about support. There are some specifically for our model year Sorento. Some come with a dash fascia to make the integration look like a factory install.

Most, if not all, have the issue about connecting to the external amplifier for the factory navigation head unit. Still looking into it.

Here are a few links where some of them also have videos to show some functionality. There are options for memory RAM and ROM, such as 2GB Ram + 32GB Rom or 4GB Ram + 64GB Rom. The ones specifically for our model Sorento come with the fascia:

The last four weren't for the Sorento but were in English or showed some of the functionality without any speaking.

Some head units have a 4G radio so you can install a SIM like a phone and get data that way or most, if not all, have WiFi that can tether to your phone or a portable hotspot. If you're at home with a WiFi router, it can connect to that and you can get internet access that way too. You can use Chrome, Google Maps and Youtube, etc on these too.
After I asked you I searched for them. They are interesting devices. I noticed that the units I found on Amazon had WiFi so I could use my phone as a hotspot to provide internet.

I guess my thing is that if you can solve the problem for these head units wouldn't the solution work for other standard 2 DIN radios? I thought the problem with the Navigation units was the actual dash shape but it sounds like it's the connection to the amp as you've described.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
Yes, if I figure it out, it could be used for other units. However, it probably won't apply to all other units. Things I've determined so far are that the amp has SPDIF inputs and CANBUS inputs. I'm not sure if the CANBUS is required, but I'm pretty sure, at this point, I'm pretty sure that SPDIF is required. SPDIF is used to carry audio data digitally to the amplifier. I'm not sure what the CANBUS connections are used for, at this point. I read somewhere for another vehicle that it uses CANBUS to communicate to increase or decrease sound level. That could be an issue. Read elsewhere that it could also be used to turn the factory navigation head unit on and off, but I don't think that's an issue for replacement units. Still working on it.

So, yes, the solution could be used for other units, but it doesn't mean the solution will be applicable for all other units.

You are also correct about the dash shape. The fascia that is available will probably only work with similar units as shown above. I've seen some posts where some don't fit. Best advice is to get the fascia along with the device being purchased. That will have the highest likelihood of everything fitting properly.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6
6 Posts
The seller sent me the correct harness as pictured in the eBay listing. I also ordered a Fakra Z Male to SMA Male Connector to reuse the factory GPS antenna and a radio antenna adapter:

So I got the radio hooked up, but I have no sound :(

There is a 24-pin white connector which I think is the one for the Infinity system amp and backup camera. I cannot find this adapter anywhere online. A diagram is attached. The 24-pin connector is labled 24P. I believe Connector B is not used on the Infinity system. The Sirius gold connector (and the missing GPS blue connector) should be at the bottom right on the diagram below which is upside down:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6
6 Posts
I wonder if these could be used to avoid cutting the OEM wiring for that 24-pin connector:

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
That diagram you have doesn't look quite right. RSE stands for rear seat entertainment. I decided to get the 72 hour pass on KiaTechinfo to get more details on connections, etc

Does your unit have SPDIF output? If not, then you can't use the 24pin connector and in order to use the unit you purchased, you may need to use something like those 2 links you posted to get the sound to your speakers. You'd need to splice into the speaker connectors, probably easiest at the amplifier, where they're all close together.

Edit: Another option might be to get something that takes the RCA input to create SPDIF for the amplifier. Haven't looked into that or other issues that may cause. There would also be some other things required to make that work, though.

I picked up a TEyes SPro Android head unit. I'm getting close to being able to test it in my vehicle. I'm waiting for a connector, that same 24-pin connector. I found it in a listing on the same site, AliExpress, where I purchased the head unit but from another vendor. I'd say I'm about 80-90% there. I'm doing bench testing and have sound going through a SPDIF output to a Sony home receiver, but not through the 24pin connector. While waiting for the connector I'm trying out many of the features and things that I'd like eventually set up. Some can only be tested or set up once the head unit is installed in the car, like the rear-view camera.

I bought the 4GB/64GB version of the SPro on AliExpress. I found a 2GB/32GB version on Amazon.com...it's not available on Amazon.ca though.

Amazon.com: TEYES SPRO Android Car in-Dash Navigation Stereo for KIA Sorento 2 XM Sedan DVD 2009 2010 2011 2012 Octa core 2GB RAM 32GB ROM 9 inch Screen Android 8.1 Car Multimedia Player: GPS & Navigation

It also has 4G dual sim capability...only for data and not for making calls. To make calls, you still need to pair with a phone through Bluetooth. It also has WiFi. There's a fairly big community on the 4pda.ru site where people actively contribute their findings, likes, modifications, etc. I'm using Google translate to read the site...difficult. TEyes has put out a number of firmware updates although the customer service is horrible. I also came across another model from a manufacturer called Joying. There's a somewhat active forum about the Joying model on the xda developer forums. It seems there are a number of very similar units based on the same hardware.

The one I bought did not have the correct connectors either. I opened a dispute with AliExpress and got a partial refund. It took a very long time and the partial refund basically covers the cost of getting the additional connectors and modifying the harness to work properly.

Anyway, I started another thread when I started this and I'll be eventually updating that thread and cross-referencing each thread. That connector is taking it's time getting here. Ordered Dec 16. Said it would take about 30 days...or more. Didn't say if that was calendar days or business days. Yikes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts