Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is a problem specifically for my spectra or not but whenever i use the phone charger for my car there are a few radio stations that will not come in. They get fine reception when i'm not using it but as soon as I plug it in they go to static. Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this short of buying a new radio?

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts
maybe try a different charger as the radio and antenna are fine. i get the same thing when i have my cell phone on next to the A.M. radio on my desk . our you losing reception on A.M. or F.M. my guess its only A.M.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Seems that you are using one of the newer "Smart" phones that need to be charged quite often. You could check if there are other types of chargers available; some phones use a USB connector, and a generic charger might be suitable.

My older "Fairly Smart" phone only needs charging every 2 weeks, or maybe twice a week if it's using BlueTooth in the car. Never noticed any radio interference. Older-tech phones were bad news for radio interference, but that's not what you're talking about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
maybe try a different charger as the radio and antenna are fine. i get the same thing when i have my cell phone on next to the A.M. radio on my desk . our you losing reception on A.M. or F.M. my guess its only A.M.
I'm losing FM.

@Wry 'Cuda

I'm only having to charge so much because I deliver Pizzas Part time and I constantly have navigation going. That drains the battery pretty quick. If I'm not using that my phone will go for days without having to be charged.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
The new chargers use what is called SMPS (switch mode power supplies) where they pulse the 12v battery voltage 40,000~120,000 times a second (HZ). The cheap chargers have no RF filtering and can generate double/triple/quad/etc harmonics of the base switching frequencies that look like radio frequencies and cause what is called RF hash (noise). These Chinese pieces of junk do not meet US FCC interference guidelines and slip into this country unchecked.
As suggested you might try a different brand of charger that has a name brand on it.. They usually follow FCC guidelines for RF noise suppression.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts