Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with radio in my wifes Rio, I get now FM reception at all. AM receptions is at a minimum as well. At first I thought it was the cheap Jensen I put in there giving up the ghost (which it was). But after putting the factory radio back in, the problem is still there. I tracked the antena cable from the radio to the antena and it all looks good. I'm at a loss here, and I need to get FM reception back. AM radio sucks!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio5
140 Posts
This is just a guess, but it sounds like you have an electrical grounding or shorting problem in the wiring related to the radio. maybe you need whats usually called a "noise canceller". I've never heard of just the radio dying unless its just a fuse. sounds like something really simple, which is usually the hardest to find. Since you said that you put the radio in, I would take it to an installer, Futureshop is a good place if you are in Canada and have them check out your wiring, it will usually only cost 10-20 bucks for them to fix it if its something simple like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can gaurentee that electrical grounding is not the problem. i've been doing installs off and on for almost 12 years now, so i know my way around an electrical system. plus those scoche harness adapters make it pretty impossible to screw up.

also, both units work, but neither pick up FM and the jensen will not accept and cd's (mp3 or otherwise) like it had been for the previous year.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio5
140 Posts
Ok, sorry, no offense meant on the install thing. I was just trying to cover all the bases. I once was told by a stereo dealer that a Blaupunkt stereo was not compatible with my American car's electronics and might screw up if installed, I wonder if there is a compatability issue here, although I have had a Sony and a Panasonic in my Rio without any problems. One last thing, I had a shorting problem with my Rio a little while ago, it was discharging sparks off the pulleys and the dealer couldn't figure out why, it turned out to be chafed spark plug wires, on a car with 40,000 kms on it. check your spark plug wires where they are sitting in the clips atop the engine, with mine, you couldnt see the break in the wire until you actually removed them. If you have the same problem you could be discharging current into your car somewhere.

good luck

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
107 Posts
Have you tried plugging another antenna into the radio to see if that could be the problem? If you have a spare one around the house, that would be a simple test.

Just because the antenna wire looks good doesn't necessarily mean it is good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts