Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just upgraded from my sportage to a 2012 sorento :) Had a sorento before and traded it in on the sportage so now I am back...

Anywho... I am not sure which particular radio, but it has the back up camera and navigation with it. My question is.... is there any way to dim or put the radio into "night mode"? I see you can do that with the gps map, but it does not seem to effect the sat radio display. I can't find it anywhere in the manual and gosh it sure is bright.

Thanks for any info!!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 2020 Sportage EX AWD
42 Posts
It IS bright! Even with the screen dimmed it seems bright at first. I think you will get used to it. If not just go to the map, it is black at night.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
781 Posts
You can turn the display off. Go in to the settings, click display and one of the buttons turns off the display...I think that's the sequence.

You will still be able to use some functions without the display coming back on...things that make sense like changing volume.

If you had a route set in the nav, it will still say instructions as when screen was on.

Only the red lighting will be on.

I'm still trying to figure out how to dim the gauge lights without dimming the red lighting.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX
13 Posts
I'm finding that the "auto" brightness setting for the screen really doesn't do much. So when it's light out, I need to manually max the brightness, and when it's dark I need to manually minimize the brightness. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
I have mine dimmed all the way down and on longer night trips I still have to switch to map mode or turn the display off completely. I don't even need to turn the brightness up on the brightest of days, but I also have my front windows tinted (at 20% I think, whatever the dealership did on delivery)

As far as dimming the dash lights w/o dimming the red lighting (such as in the doors) I'm pretty sure it's not possible, and the dash is way too bright w/o dimming them. Honestly I had completely forgot about the lighting in the doors until I lost all of my settings and the dash brightness was reset.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suppose that is much better to use auto settings. Especially when you are driving whole day. I have GPS navigator and it changes modes automatically.

·
Registered
Sorento SX; 07 BMW 335i
21 Posts
all i can say to this is the damn light on the nav screen is just too bright at night, no matter how you adjust the brightness, and yeah i agree, the Auto doesn't do much. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I might get some window tint and cut a piece and put it on there to see if it takes the glare off. Just too darn bright :-/

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hmm, window tint may affect the touch screen usage, not sure. Also it's not glass so not sure how that might affect the screen long term

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, window tint may affect the touch screen usage, not sure. Also it's not glass so not sure how that might affect the screen long term
hmm.... didn't think about the touch screen. I guess I wasn't thinking of proper screen tint stuff. My mom had something a few years ago...a plastic cling thing that was tinted that she used to put on the side window to block the sun a bit. That's more along the lines of what I was thinking.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
all i can say to this is the damn light on the nav screen is just too bright at night, no matter how you adjust the brightness, and yeah i agree, the Auto doesn't do much. :)
x2 I either shut display down or use GPS mode! I sure hope they fix this in '14...

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
781 Posts
Just to make sure that this wasn't missed, when you go into the Nav and the display is set to Auto, the display inverts at night. During the day, the roads on the Nav show up as black on a mainly white display/background. However, during the night, the roads appear white on a mainly black display/background.

I believe this only behaves this way when the headlights are in the Auto mode...I could be wrong.

As for the overall brightness of the display...this is characteristic of a touchscreen. The backlighting is what makes it bright. It looks like flourescent backlighting. It's like flat panel TVs. Many have this issue.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't think it's reliant on the headlights because mine has gone to night mode when the headlights weren't on and vice versa. I think it has it's own light sensor (I think it's the circle somewhere near the CD slot on the left side). As far as the brightness, there's no reason it can't dim down further, the touch sensitivity is not linked to the amount of back light, just consider how dim a cell phone can get.

·
Registered
Sorento SX; 07 BMW 335i
21 Posts
Perhaps a software/firmware update is needed. I'm gonna shoot Kia an email and inquire and hopefully there'll be an update to the Nav soon.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD loaded
10 Posts
The auto-dimming does nothing as far as I can tell. I've had the SX AWD for about 5 months now. Is there a way to turn on the dome light without having to push the lights to turn on and off? Usually I can turn on all the overhead lights with the knob that controls the headlights, but this vehicle doesn't seem to have that? It would be helpful because once you turn the car on, the lights go out, and it is sometimes hard for my kids to see in the back to fasten their seatbelts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts