Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Radio has power, but low volume (at max) and nonworking buttons (excpt Pwr, CD Eject)

My 2009 Kia Spectra had a dead battery. I jumped the car, and now the buttons on the radio don't work, and when you turn the volume all the way up (to 35), you can barely hear the music. I checked the "room" and "audio" fuses, and they were fine. I replaced them anyways, still didn't help. It's like there's another power supply for the buttons and possibly a stock speaker amplifier that isn't working. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Did you check the IG 1 and IG 2 30A fuses in the under-hood compartment? Just taking a shot in the dark, those fuses usually control a plethora of things you wouldn't expect them to. Hopefully someone with better info will help out. you could try looking at schematic diagrams on kiatechinfo.com. I tried but I can't get the ETM section to load on my computer.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it.
Microprocessors (like in the radio) don't like low voltage and can do some strange things when subjected to it... Removing ALL voltage (disconnecting battery) may solve your problems...
If not the radios for 2007~2009 Spectras are CHEAP on ebay ($20 with shipping)..
07 08 Kia Spectra Factory CD Radio 96150 2F700 | eBay
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I disconnected the hot lead to the battery for around 30 minutes and hooked it back up. Now all the buttons on the radio are functional again (yay!). However, the extremely low audio output problem still persists. The volume meter goes up to 35, and at 35, you can barely hear the music coming out of the speakers. Before, at 35 volume, it hurt your ears. I checked the IG and radio fuses under the hood, but it didn't appear that any of the fuses were bad, although I'm not too familiar with those style of fuses. I think I'm going to try to disconnect the battery again for a bit and see if that does the problem. If anybody else has any ideas, please post a response!

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Like I said a working replacement radio is cheap and available on ebay.
It's not worth trying to repair/reprogram the original radio.
Sounds like you may have reversed the wires when jumping the car.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts