Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I will try to explain this as best I can. I bought a 2000 Sportage a couple weeks ago and only one speaker was producing sound. Aftermarket stereo already installed in the car when I bought it. I took the stereo out and found it was wired all kinds of crappy. looked up the wiring diagram for the sportage and it says light green wire for constant +12v but I don't have a light green wire! Also I have a yellow wire and a brown wire and they aren't listed on the wire diagram at all. so I threw both the stereo red and yellow (constand 12v and switched 12v) onto the black w/yellow stripe wire (switched 12v) and the stereo works! Then I was looking into my fuze panel just for giggles, and I found some wrong fuzes in spots and a blown fuze. replaced the wrong and blown fuze and now my cigagette lighter and stereo are on all the time! troubleshot it down to the "memory" fuze. I have no idea why re-seating that fuze caused this issue! I pull it out and the stereo turns off, I push it in and the stereo and cigarette lighter are on with no key in the ignition. I'm pretty damn confused. I can't find any info on this fuze and what it's for, I assumed it was for the ECM memory, and a quick way to reset it, but now I'm starting to wonder if it is for all of the constant voltage?? Any help with these issues would be very helpful. I'd really like to have all my fuzes in and not drain my battery by having full on power to my stereo all the time instead of just "memory" power. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
First thing I would suggest is going back in and rechecking your wiring modifications (and possibly removing the jumpered wires ... The "memory" (ROOM) fuse is there to supply voltage to items that need constant voltage when the ignition is OFF (radio memory/clock keeping time/door locks and alarm functions)... What was the "name" of the blown fuse?
Also the 2000 Sportage may be a 1997~1999 model (check the build date on the door VIN tag)..Try looking at the wiring color codes for those years for the radio. Get back to us on what you found...
Dave

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
+1 on Dave's recommendations - you have a constant hot lead back-feeding into the circuit *somewhere ..

And if the former owner did any "custom" stereo wiring mods, that may well be contributing to your short issue: - check down by the driver's kick panel / the fuse box for any wiring / leads going towards the back of the vehicle, e.g. sub-woofer / amplifier power, added by the previous owner..

*To prevent circuit issues, I would (disconnect) the stereo until you trace & identify the issue - to prevent other circuit (wiring) damage under the dash / in the Sporty.. *

If in doubt, and can post some good pics of wiring in question, will take a look / try to help.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so as far as I can tell by guess and check method, with the memory fuse pushed in my black/yellow wire is getting constant +12v. And with the memory fuse pulled, it only gets power while the ignition is on... The fuse that was blown before was the "room" fuse. They're separate, room and memory are 2 separate fuses, and upon further inspection I realized that the memory fuse was blown and the previous owner had shorted it with a wire to make it work despite being blown. I replaced all the blown fuses, removed the short, but everything is still the same functionality wise as it was before. I still have no idea why the wires to my stereo don't match any diagrams ive seen looking from 1996-2001, it's a 2000. I have a brown wire and a yellow wire that don't appear anywhere on any diagram I can find, and I don't have the light green wire that the diagrams say I should have! I have found some remnants that suggest the sporty had a sub at one point in its life, but nothing under the dash from it that I can see.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Greetings,

Based finding evidence of aftermarket equipment, it is possible there is an aftermarket adapter installed on the (factory) plug, hence the mismatched wiring:

This link:
--
https://drive.google.com/folderview...&usp=sharing&tid=0B-YuNuTyh57XUXZKRnlLMV9sMTA

file: Elect10.pdf, section: "Audio System 150"

shows the factory pinouts / wiring ..

If still no joy - post some pics / cannot help without having at least (some) reference of wiring & orientation on the factory plug..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I wish there was an aftermarket adapter installed, no whoever updated the stereo to an aftermarket head unit cut the plug off and twisted wires together. It was a mess when I first pulled it out. Electrical tape was the only thing splicing the wires together, and in our 110 degree weather that tape was falling off and making a sticky mess. I felt the wires back and they all go into the factory wire bundle, they're all original, just the wrong colors. I'm afraid due to what I saw in the fuse box that the stupid short someone did on the memory fuse may have caused damage somewhere else in the wire harness shorting my constant +12v to my switched +12v, which if thats the case I guess it could be worse, but still doesn't make sense that the wires are the wrong color.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Ok - got a better sense of what you're dealing with now. Ouch.

--
Just a guess on my part, but if you are blowing the (ROOM) fuse, suspect there is a cross/short with the (clock) circuit - that wiring pigtails out of the dash harness wiring at about the same location..

Would like to help, and willing to check the wiring on the '01 parts Sporty here, but will need some pics of (where) the mess originates from the dash wiring harness on your Sporty,

In the meantime, have you attempted to (back-trace) via continuity test the wiring mess / identified any additional wiring, aside the constant/switched power leads?

A diagram / wiring pair list would help us get it sorted out quicker..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
1997 Sportage 4X4 & Saab Turbo
27 Posts
(A question within a question......)

I can take a photo of my stock '97 unit. I already purchased an aftermarket harness kit for whatever I plan to install. The radio gets excellent reception but the CD is bunk. (It's also quite hot outside, so it won't be an immediate rescue.)

The $.50 question:

If I remove the stock unit and try to repair or clean the CD portion, will I have to do something to the vehicle's computer/re-marry the radio unit to function?

I ran into this nonsense with my GM/Saab.

For my Sportage, I'd really like to find an old 2-knobbie cassette deck. The radio location is a pain in the butt and almost like trying to text while driving.)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Hey oLNutjob (like that handle, LOL)..

-If- it is the older style 1 DIN radio/cd player, it should be ok / no codes needed,

if the (newer) style 2 DIN combo radio/tape/cd player, then there will be an (unlock) security code for the radio unit only.. Usual '1234' / or last (4) of VIN #..

re: any unlock/reset needed for ECM, not that I know of on the (US) Sporty: that type locking system is not present on the 1st gen Sportage.

HTH & Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 9 of 9 Posts