Kia Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,290 Posts
I was afraid of that implementation. Expensive when the switch fails being in the latch.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
145 Posts
That is nuts!

I wonder are all modern cars like this or Kia is just being stupid...

Anyway, thanks for letting us know Larry!

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
890 Posts
Damn, sure makes little plunger in the door frame look awfully attractive compared to this. Are we making things more complicated just for the sake of more complicated or what? That little plunger was a real switch, didn't talk to any computers or micro processors, didn't flash messages on the dash that my door was open but so what! Now, everything is so integrated that the $2 plunger has become a hundreds of dollar repair plus diagnostics. Just went and checked by 2003 4Runner - still using a door plunger! Guess it stays around another 18 years!

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,114 Posts
Speculation here, but it could have something to do with ensuring the door latch being fully engaged, before allowing it to lock, and the remote start to be used etc.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Speculation here, but it could have something to do with ensuring the door latch being fully engaged, before allowing it to lock, and the remote start to be used etc.
The good old plunger switch should be able to do the same job?

My guess is to avoid additional wiring from these switches? More wires from each of the doors means more weight... not be mention additional install time, whether it's install by human or robots? Perhaps they figured failure rate should be so low that it's worth doing this?

Good thing we have long warranties so Kia will have to figure it out what's best for them to do... or when you buy used Kias, better make sure you're getting CPO so you get the same warranties.

Anyway, if current tend continues, if a switch failed, we might have to just throw away the whole car and get a new one! :p

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,114 Posts
What I recall from the last vehicle I had with the old plunger type is that it would activate with the door slightly ajar, on just the first click of the door latch, and with the switch integral to the door latch it ensures that it's all the way closed on the second click of the latch.

It looks like its quite common across many of the manufacturers.
car door open switch integral to the door latch - Google Search

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, there must be a good reason for them to start doing this..., for sure ease of repair is not on the top of their priority list. :p

Kia has longer warranties compared to other manufacturers though. I'm betting the reduced manufacturing cost and high reliability is probably making it worthwhile for them even if they have to do some warranty repairs like this one.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
890 Posts
I do still get a door open warning in my 4Runner so some intelligent programming taking place, likely based upon current draw to certain interior lights.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,290 Posts

My guess is to avoid additional wiring from these switches? More wires from each of the doors means more weight... not be mention additional install time, whether it's install by human or robots? Perhaps they figured failure rate should be so low that it's worth doing this?

Good thing we have long warranties so Kia will have to figure it out what's best for them to do... or when you buy used Kias, better make sure you're getting CPO so you get the same warranties.

Anyway, if current tend continues, if a switch failed, we might have to just throw away the whole car and get a new one! :p
I can't see how it over a pair or two pairs of wires to a plunger switch used for at least 3 decades is more costly than this. Its easier to trouble shoot with doors open as well when you can press the plunger. I'd be ticked if this new all in one failed on me!!!

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
584 Posts
Assuming the door latch is a more reliable test for a secure door, it's cost effective to just add a sensor to the latch assembly. Eliminate the assembly line task to install the plunger. Then just add one more low voltage low current wire into the latch harness to the BCM. Also eliminate a harness pair of wires to the old plunger setup. Saving a couple of dollars on build cost is a successful design engineers goal. " Replace hardware and wiring with chips is the motto of newer cars". Us old shade tree mechanics are a thing of the past....

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,290 Posts
LOL, hang on now.
Have you talked to the guy in the Mirror !! Tell him that.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts