Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX // Kia Soul
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rio LX with stock radio...works great and display looks fine when headlights are off (photo on the right). As soon as the headlights are turned on the display is barely visible (left). Dashboard light level is at max, there is no setting in the menus that changes the display brightness with lights on. Does anyone have a tip on how to fix this? I'd be fine with having it always be like it currently is with lights off. FYI....I bought the Rio used, the radio was doing this when I got the car, so I do not know what might have happened and how long it is doing this. I doubt it is normal.
Thanks in advance for any tips.

IMG_20200205_070500723.jpg IMG_20200205_070453474.jpg

·
Registered
2017 Hyundia Tucson petrol. 2018 Hyundia i20 petrol. Never to drive a diesel again
68 Posts
The radio displays, assuming it's a factory fitted unit, are designed to dim when you turn the headlights on so that they don't affect your darkness vision. I don't have a Rio but my Hyundai has a rheostat that I can adjust the level of brigfhtness with. If there is no obvious adjustment then the setting has been set too low at the factory I would think.

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX // Kia Soul
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I guess there is an input on the back that signals lights on, at least I know that most off the shelf radios have that.
I understand the desire for it not to be a distraction, but it is so dim that it becomes a distraction because you can't see a thing.
I see if I can find a wiring diagram and then disconnect the wire or short it permanently to ground/live whatever is the case for headlights off....although I rather not take the dash apart.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
106 Posts
It could be the switch that you use to adjust the brightness that is bad. Is there any change of brightness when it is used? If it were me I would search on line for a used one.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
106 Posts
The whole set of switches, to the left of the steering wheel, goes for around $25 on Ebay. Searching "kia rio dimmer switch" returns many results.

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX // Kia Soul
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the dashboard light brightness works fine and has absolutely no effect on the radio. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts