Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Borrego 2009
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange one here, looking for some ideas. I replaced the stock head unit with a 7" Android model and now have Waze navigation, and also added a backup camera. This was 15 months ago. A few weeks ago the unit would simply black screen and reboot. At first I thought it was just Waze crashing, but then I noticed with just the radio on.

What gets interesting is that I can sometimes make it happen by rolling up the windows and holding up when it hits the top...as soon as that happens...black screen and reboot. This will work sometimes, but not all the time. Most times it just reboots at random intervals.

So...the question is what could be the cause?....bad head unit?, loose wiring somewhere? or something faulty with the electrical supply from the truck harness that is causing a voltage loss...

any thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX
41 Posts
It certainly sounds like voltage drop, caused by, most likely a bad connection/crimp or bad ground somewhere. Did you splice the power lines to the Android model. I would suggest you take a voltmeter and measure the voltage at the 'head' then do your test with the windows and see if the voltage drops significantly at the head. Then its a question of checking the wiring - and grounding of course to/from the head.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts