Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage 4WD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Kia Sportage. My radio has gone willy.

Sometimes, there is a blank, black screen but I cant still hear the radio and change stations using the controls (not the touchscreen).

Other times, the display flickers in and out, but the radio still works.

Last night, the radio didn't go off when I turned off my car and I woke up to a dead battery with the radio still playing, no display.

I change the media fuse, I reset the radio using the little reset button inside of the vehicle.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,693 Posts
There are a lot of possibilities including a short in the wiring and a bad head unit. I doubt whether the warranty covers this, but a new head unit is expensive. If you have an LX or an EX without the technology package, and it is the head unit, you might consider buying an aftermarket unit with a module for steering wheel controls. Look at Crutchfield for those options.

·
Registered
2020 EX KIA Sportages, 2021 Hyundai KONA, 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK
219 Posts
Shoot! I was hoping it was something simple.
I got a factory radio from the U pull it junk yard for $75 for our 2013. There is a factory radio on Ebay right now for $150 that fits your 2017 with free shipping and free returns if it doesn't work. The symptom you describe with the touch screen and it staying on leads me to believe it's your actual radio. Unless you've played with the wiring adding a amp or something. There are many aftermarket options also with plug in play adapters. Should be You Tube videos showing how to get radio out.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage 4WD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, I didn’t play with any wires. It just started going wonky one day. Sometimes there will be no display for days but I can hear it and change the radio channels with my steering controls or the controls on the side of the radio. Then one day it’ll just display again. Sometimes I’m driving and I just goes black, radio still works.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,693 Posts
It really sounds like your head unit has gone caput.... Again, if you do not have the technology package in the EX or have the SX, I would go aftermarket...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.