Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
02 Sedona 80k 500SL 34k 300SE 161k 300E
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a new radiator is in the near future,02 van has 85k and pretty sure its original,bottom seems to be wet with coolant,don't have puddles on the ground yet,where's a good place to get one? will replace hoses while I'm doing the job,think water pump may be original also,should I do it also while its apart or can I wait? van never overheats,but losing about 1" of coolant at tank after 2 week time,any advice appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Carnival 2.5L manual & 2000 Carnival Auto
320 Posts
what model engine?
aluminium radiator?

What fluid used? Straight tap water, or glycol?
Check that coolant is not escaping from somewhere like the cap/hoses area. Check that coolant system is not being pressurised by head gasket failure.

Don't mess around - identify the poblm ASAP. Overheating modern engines is never a good outcome..

leave water pump alone if no sign of leakage/overheating.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mysteriously its not leaking anymore,have the overflow tank filled to the mark and now its holding level? will monitor cooling system.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its 4 years later lol, I went the cheap way out and used some type of $2 stop leak powder stuff , stopped any leaks for 4 years, van has 95k miles now, well now its 2020 and I have noticed a small amount of coolant on the ground directly under the radiator, not always there? coolant tank goes down a little every 2 weeks of driving, no oil in coolant, I could probably nurse it for another few years since I just drive locally in town, but now my wife wants me to drive her to doctor appointments 2 hours away so I just ordered a new radiator and all new hoses, there's some pretty good video's on YouTube on how to do the job.
If anyone has any tips or tricks on this job please share!
Happy New year every buddy!:p

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it out! man it was like 4 hours at least, on my 2002 Sedona there are some 10mm bolt's that are hard to get to on left and right side, they hold the condenser to Radiator, and trans cooler is also attached, one cooling fan was missing 2 out of 3 bolts, now I understand one YouTube video where its a mechanic shop and he evacuated A/C system and pulled radiator with it attached, way easier! I couldn't even drain the rad properly, on my 02 the drain is super hard to get to from below, there is a drain tube attached to it but a metal fixed shelf under it, I had to remove bottom hose to drain it, what a mess, waiting on new unit to arrive, got all new hoses today and did a oil filter change, defiantly a pain in the ass job, I can have the radiator in my Benz out in 30 minutes lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Job done after 3 days of working on it 3 hours a day, everything works and no leaks! so I spent under $200 for new radiator,hoses (3) clamps, coolant(ZerexG5) complete oil and filter change.
I took my time and inspected mechanical's while in there, and cleaned engine bay.
The hard part is getting to some of the 10mm bolts holding twin fans, condenser and transmission cooler, use swivels, extensions 1/2 inch drive and mostly 1/4 inch drive for tight spots! at 95k miles this must have been original radiator(had KIA sticker on it) and hoses, dam hoses were a bitch to remove! they were glued on with some type of sealant along with pinch clamps, I had to cut them off with a razor! getting to where the upper/lower hoses meet the engine I had to remove air cleaner assembly,don't forget to clean hose attachment points, wear gloves if you like your hands!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts