Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i just took my 2005 kia sorento (6 cylinder, automatic transmission, 4wd) in to a local mechanic 2 weeks ago because my airconditioner had quit cooling, the shop install a new condensor and coil (I think thats what they called it... spending $1200) After picking it up my wife & I started noticing a smell. I thought it smelled like antifreeze, but the car did not appear to be leaking. long story short, the car started overheating yesterday. I popped the hood and discovered that the small hose connecting to the top left of the radiator was not just disconnected but the location it was supposed to connect had been broken off. apparently since getting the car back from the shop, and the car would warm up, this hose was emitting a fine mist of coolant all over the motor (thus the smell, but no drip). I took the car back to the shop asserting that since they broke it they fix it. the lead mechanic told me that this hose was not necessary and plugged it, and put a screw into where it connects to the radiator to plug it (the mechanic stated that the line from the resorvoir splits before connecting back to the radiator and thus having this connection was not necessary) does this sound right? I dont' want to be causing some kind of damage to my car, over something caused by the shop. any advice appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
I've seen it here a fews times...........what we do is get a copper threaded nipple and screw it in then connect the hose. If it was my car I would NOT block it off, it goes back to the overflow bottle.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
It allows the reservoir to bleed any air that might be trapped in the radiator to escape after a fill or flush.
Here is how I fixed mine. Still working great.

http://www.kia-forums.com/do-yourself/67303-broken-radiator-nipple.html
Now that you know WHAT the purpose of this hose is, go back to the mechanic and tell him it IS necessary, was put there for a specific purpose, and if he's unwilling to complete the repair PROPERLY that you will take the necessary actions (including having the repair done at a different facility, then going back after him for the cost of the repair).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts