Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Kia Sportage with approximately 188,000 miles on it. I drove 40 miles commuting from work to my house and once I parked I noticed the temperature gauge was climbing hotter and hotter. I then turned my car off and quickly lifted the hood to cool it down effectively. About a minute after I lifted the hood I heard a small pop and antifreeze started leaking from underneath my car. I let my car cool down to resting temperature then proceeded to add some new antifreeze (50/50) to see if it would start leaking again, sure enough it still leaked. I tried starting my car to see what would happen and now my car doesn't start.

Is this a simple radiator replacement? Let me know if I need more detail in this description.

-Remmurd

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would change the thermostat and get a replacement radiator. Check the hoses also for leaks. Fill it up with antifreeze and see if it starts. If not, the next items I would check are timing belt and water pump.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It's puzzling that there was a "Pop" after cooling for a minute. How long did you leave the car to cool before adding more coolant? Ideally, it should be left until it's touchable by hand (about 50°C) and then extra coolant added while the motor is idling.

In your case, with coolant already known to be leaking and the motor not starting, there's not much that you can do other than start replacing parts as suggested. Motor not starting is also a problem. Maybe it became hot enough to damage something else like the ignition system. The post from slammininfo2 may have been referring to the external serpentine belt (drives water pump, alternator etc.) rather than the timing belt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts