Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today after a long drive I parked my car in the driveway and left it idling; a short time later I noticed the temp starting to rise, (just a bit over half so no big deal) so I got in the car and watched it continue to climb. So I looked under the hood and noticed that the fan wasn't working. I pulled the fan out and ran a continuity test on it, nothing, dead. So I started looking online for a replacement, and all I can find are either direct OEM replacement $130 or one for the automatic trans $55? What's the difference? I would really hate to buy the OEM one and shell out three times as much as I have to if the one for the auto trans will work just as well.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
The radiator on an automatic has coolant lines on the bottom and would probably need a little extra air movement...Other than that I don't think there would be too much more to change...It doesn't make sense (dollar wise) to inventory two different fans...so the OEM replacement companies would make/stock only one.
Dave

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Check out rock auto also view the pic's I doubt there is much of a difference. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did look on rockauto, neither picture looked quite right, so I bit the bullet and bought the fan for the auto trans. If the housing doesn't fit I will just use the old one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts