Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give fellow owners a heads up about an issue I had with my '12 Rio SX.

I month or two ago I started hearing a clunk coming from the steering linkage when maneuvering at slow speeds, such as in parking lots. I brought it in to my dealer and they said it was a problem with the rack and pinion and that it was leaking a little.

The story they told was that at some point Kia had to get a second vendor for the rack and pinion and that that vendor had early quality issues. Not enough to warrant a recall, but enough to be noticed. I don't know if they just serviced the rack and pinion by replacing a part in it or replaced the whole unit (which is what I suspect), but it was fixed without a fuss.

So if you hear a clunk sometimes when making large steering changes, bring it in to be checked. They said it wasn't a safety issue, so no need to get anxious about it, but do get it fixed.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
thanks for heads-up but as we don't know where you are located (please filled out your location profile), we are not sure if this would be helpful to where other members are located.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts