Kia Forum banner

301 - 319 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to revive the old thread.
Thanks to this tutorial I now have a new set of H7 6000K HID's installed. Makes a huge difference to the Sportage's presence at night. The only niggle is that the DRL's now seem slightly more yellow in comparison. I imagine that they must be around 4300K. My first choice for the HID's were 4300K or even 5000K, but I struggled really to find them locally. Imported they would have cost me more than double.
It seems that the type of bulb is regional. H11 in the US (and Europe?) and H7 in SA and South America. I think @Kiastorm from the UK also used H7 (mentioned in a different thread). Fortunately I had a good look at the bulb before ordering the kit, and also managed to get one with the in-line cancellors.

Took the opportunity to also change the interior lights to LED. Looks nice!

Has anyone who has changed to HID notice a longterm effect on fuel economy? There are claims that since it draws less power, it should improve fuel use in the longterm...

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
Took the opportunity to also change the interior lights to LED. Looks nice!

Has anyone who has changed to HID notice a longterm effect on fuel economy? There are claims that since it draws less power, it should improve fuel use in the longterm...
I guess it will not be noticeable. You are talking of saving about 40W of energy (DRL halogen is driven at about half power) so on paper that would be what? less than 1%...
If your engine on average produces 10-60kW to move the car 40W seems insignificant.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
At night, when it rains, or if there's fog, or both, I can't see Shite! With my 5000k HID bulbs!? Especially on blacktop/asphalt roads. Sometimes it's hard to tell if the light's are even On? under these conditions. What gives?

I recently switched from 6000k HID's, they were even worse! :(

Must I goto yellow 4000k bulbs? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
184 Posts
At night, when it rains, or if there's fog, or both, I can't see Shite! With my 5000k HID bulbs!? Especially on blacktop/asphalt roads. Sometimes it's hard to tell if the light's are even On? under these conditions. What gives?

I recently switched from 6000k HID's, they were even worse! :(

Must I goto yellow 4000k bulbs? :rolleyes:
4500K will give you the most light output. Any higher than that and you start losing visible light and start blinding other drivers.
If you're using a 35W kit, you could upgrade to a 55W kit.
I'm still on stock bulbs and find them plenty bright... so maybe an eye exam just in case?
That said, the 35W stock xenons in my BMW are the best lights I've ever had.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
At night, when it rains, or if there's fog, or both, I can't see Shite
no matter what lights you got in rain visibility is worse...

Must I goto yellow 4000k bulbs?
Got to OEM-like 4300K which is far from yellow...
I assume the lights are aimed correctly and lenses are clean.

Upgrading to 55W... sure, you might do that, but all my HID conversions were 35W 4300K and were great.

Also, lenses might be crappy, but experience with Rondo I find them very decent.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I got the car used from a dealer, and the 1st night I put the headlights on, it was "Surprise!" blue lights :rolleyes:
A previous owner installed HID low beams, I'm guessing 6000k. I'm a senior, so I immediately noticed a loss of visible light compared to my (previously totaled) New 2010 Tucson GLS with stock decent headlight bulbs. I recently put in 5000k (supposedly, bright white) bulbs, they still have a blue tint but match my DRL lights now, but now the stock high beams look yellow. I'm thinking of going with Philips H7 Diamond vision halogens for the high beams, but the loss of usable light in the rain, & fog, at night up here in rural Pa. is giving me 2nd thoughts :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
the latest sportage uses H7 & H7U bulbs, I'm about to bite the bullet and buy a set for high beam. Not sure of the legality of installing HID's for low beam in Australia.
My only question, is there a difference between the kits for high/low beam ?
any advice would be welcome.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
the latest sportage uses H7 & H7U bulbs, I'm about to bite the bullet and buy a set for high beam. Not sure of the legality of installing HID's for low beam in Australia.
My only question, is there a difference between the kits for high/low beam ?
any advice would be welcome.
high beam HID is highly discouraged, unless you drive with high beams on for more than 10 minutes at a time.
Frequent on/off cycles will kill HID lamp and ballast.

No, there is no difference. All of them install same way and the only difference is the kit you need (means what base - H7, H11 or what).

Generally HID is installed on low beams. The best output is from 4300K, higher you go less light you get and more blue it becomes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
high beam HID is highly discouraged, unless you drive with high beams on for more than 10 minutes at a time.
Frequent on/off cycles will kill HID lamp and ballast.
True - it's the reason the "better" hi beam HID installations use a projector with the Bi-xenon arrangement - ie the "bulb" is always on and a solinoid contolled flap interupts the top of the light pattern when low beam is selected. This way the HID components are not subject to the on/off cycling. Fitting a projector is a lot more (mechanically) involved than just replacing the bulb but overall it gives a much better result as you have a correctly matched bulb, reflector and lense.

And fully concur with going no hotter than 4300k, there is less actually light with the blue-bling higher temp bulbs. A good projector based system at 35w 4300k should be more than adequate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hehe, we just traded her 2011 LX for a Techno Orange 2011 SX :) so now gotta do this mod all over again. the good thing is, when we traded her in, she had 76k miles and 4 years under her belt, and the original HIDs were still working flawlessly :)

b
If you put HIDs in your new SX, and do anything differently, would you update your original post? I think I'm finally going to get around to doing this upgrade on mine this fall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for posting this tutorial man!, just bought a 2015 SX and this is my first mod.It went smoothly because I read your post,can't thank you enough.

On a separate note, the sound system in this car leaves a lot to be desired, if you have any posts on this subject, I would love to read them, please post some links? because this sound system needs help man,seriously! the stock sound system in my BASE Rav4 puts this one to shame! it's like listening to a megaphone from the 40's!

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey guys i need tips from you,

I already have my conversion done from 2011, then an HID burned. I order a new pair and changed them. Everythings is fine now and work except my fog light do not light up anymore ?

Can you help me to pine point that issue ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
All the photos from the sticky post are gone - hosting provider issue?

I can follow along, but I don't see what to do with the H11b pig tail? Do I have to cut off the socket (attached to the leads of the new LED bulb), solder some spades to the wires and then stick them in the ring mounts? And then if a bulb blows I have to do that every time?

I bought new dust covers with a hole already in them ;)

301 - 319 of 319 Posts