Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal that the majority of exhaust comes out of the right (passenger) pipe? I noticed that it's like 95% of the exhaust seems to go out that pipe/side.

Since I know that's the side the EX/LX has its exhaust routed on, I assumed the 2nd pipe/tip on the SX is mainly for looks...

Hoping that is a correct assumption and all is well w/ my newly purchased SX.

As always, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Is it normal that the majority of exhaust comes out of the right (passenger) pipe? I noticed that it's like 95% of the exhaust seems to go out that pipe/side.

Since I know that's the side the EX/LX has its exhaust routed on, I assumed the 2nd pipe/tip on the SX is mainly for looks...

Hoping that is a correct assumption and all is well w/ my newly purchased SX.

As always, thanks for the help.
Seems like it. When I got smogged they put the sensor in the left and got nothing and switched to the right one and it worked fine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like it. When I got smogged they put the sensor in the left and got nothing and switched to the right one and it worked fine.
Cool. Good to know. Thanks for the reply/info...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Basically knowing nothing in particular about the SX exhaust, exhaust gas will follow the path of least resistance. So, depending on how the exhaust splits off and where, one side may get most of the flow at low engine speed/demand, but will more or less equalize under high output. Sometimes the second outlet is on a run of pipe slightly longer and with more bends than the 'primary' outlet, and this alone is sufficient to cause the effect at idle. This effect has been very noticeable to me over the last 50 years when observing factory dual-exhaust cars in cool, damp weather. I think you will feel and hear the second outlet if you are at the rear watching while somebody gooses it a few times.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
^^Yep, pretty much what he said.

Plus the majority of factory "dual" exhausts aren't true duals, but two tips and one muffler.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ah. I saw the Sportage JunBL system was like that, single muffler. 7ism had two, with 360 degrees of bends each.

Path of least resistance, makes sense.

They only smog/emissions test cars at idle? I've never seen a smog test, but I guess that would catch a failed catalytic converter etc. Still, I'm sure some government representatives could be seen driving new luxury cars after choosing that testing system. I'd imagine a car failing the idle test could still pollute less than a full-throttle Bentley even if it caught fire.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah. I saw the Sportage JunBL system was like that, single muffler. 7ism had two, with 360 degrees of bends each.

Path of least resistance, makes sense.

They only smog/emissions test cars at idle? I've never seen a smog test, but I guess that would catch a failed catalytic converter etc. Still, I'm sure some government representatives could be seen driving new luxury cars after choosing that testing system. I'd imagine a car failing the idle test could still pollute less than a full-throttle Bentley even if it caught fire.
In California when they smog a car it's on a dyno like machine. They let the car idle and then bring up the rpms for a few seconds. Other than that, not sure how it works. I've just watched it a few times when required to smog my car for registration renewal time.

Illjim and saxman: thanks. Makes total sense. I was at idle and felt the left side barely doing anything. But, now that you mention it, when driving at speed I can hear the one behind me sometimes if I have the window down.

Path of least resistance must obviously be it. The exhaust path is off center and more toward the right/passenger side. So, easiest path to travel especially when idling and when there's "low exhaust pressure".

Again, thanks for the info...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts