Kia Forum banner
161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
53 Posts
Ssssh, they need to hold some features back for the 2024/2025 refresh.

My biggest gripe is the tiny screen in the dash, but whatever.

Nicest surprise is the peppy TGDI engine. My spouse and I test drove the Telluride. You had to treat it as if you were driving a bus: a lot more mindfulness about building up momentum and speed than I was used to. The Sorento has a much more direct driving feel.
Yes, but those options are already available on the ones built for other countries...Canada, Korea, etc.

Kia US decided they didn't want them for the US builds.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
192 Posts
We can cry all we want about memory seats or whatever, but clearly there is no issue with demand. I think they did just enough to keep demand high and still have room to improve/add on slowly over the years.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Another annoyance:

Why can’t UVO know my car is blue and not white/silver? Also, the graphic has the S/X-Line front bumper… OCD attack.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige Xline, Aruba Green Ext/Rust Int
59 Posts
Another annoyance:

Why can’t UVO know my car is blue and not white/silver? Also, the graphic has the S/X-Line front bumper… OCD attack.
On the gauge cluster screen where it shows you a picture of the car it got on my nerves for the longest time that you cannot change the color to match your car's actual color. I am used to it now I for the most part but coming from my prior Nisson Murano which let you change it I guess that is why it bugged me so much. I feel (or felt) your pain, lol.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
On the gauge cluster screen where it shows you a picture of the car it got on my nerves for the longest time that you cannot change the color to match your car's actual color. I am used to it now I for the most part but coming from my prior Nisson Murano which let you change it I guess that is why it bugged me so much. I feel (or felt) your pain, lol.
Yeah, I meant the gauge cluster. I also wonder if the next update will switch to the new logo or if the 22's will have a new logo intro screen.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
The stupidest (and most annoying) thing, IMO, that KIA could fix with a software update (I believe) is that ISG will restart the engine every time you put the transmission in park! It's especially annoying when I've just been at several long stop lights and ISG had failed to stop the engine and then I park at home (or work, or in a parking lot, etc) and ISG finally works correctly to stop the engine - only to restart the engine when I put it in park (so we waste that gas and have to manually turn off an engine that was just off seconds ago). Ugh.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The stupidest (and most annoying) thing, IMO, that KIA could fix with a software update (I believe) is that ISG will restart the engine every time you put the transmission in park! It's especially annoying when I've just been at several long stop lights and ISG had failed to stop the engine and then I park at home (or work, or in a parking lot, etc) and ISG finally works correctly to stop the engine - only to restart the engine when I put it in park (so we waste that gas and have to manually turn off an engine that was just off seconds ago). Ugh.
Have any of you been quick on the draw to switch from drive to reverse, let up off the brake just the engine turns off only to have the car beep at you to press the brake again?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
79 Posts
Have any of you been quick on the draw to switch from drive to reverse, let up off the brake just the engine turns off only to have the car beep at you to press the brake again?
😳 No offense, but being quick on the draw from drive to reverse is never a good thing on any transmission on any vehicle. It makes me happy that perhaps Kia programmed in some safeguard there. 😁

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX Prestige X-Line
24 Posts
"Someofthetime", I have to agree, my Sorento gets quirky sometimes when I am parking and need to adjust the car's position. It took me months to learn to appreciate the new (to me) controls and adapt my driving habits. But I believe it is worth the effort. I really like the car and the auto safety controls.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
That’s what I did. scoop is a good word to describe it. cause the water wasn’t that high. I also ruined my right front rim when i made the turn and curbed it (couldn’t see, I had to estimate where the turn into my complex would be).
What was found, engine damage?

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
53 Posts
This might fix your issue 😁

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
53 Posts
Another annoyance:

UVO app shows my actual color 😁

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car

Reactions: C-Trink

·
Registered
39 Posts
😳 No offense, but being quick on the draw from drive to reverse is never a good thing on any transmission on any vehicle. It makes me happy that perhaps Kia programmed in some safeguard there. 😁
I do allow the car to come to a complete stop (hence the engine turning off) and lighten the brake as I go into R.

Nerd mode: With a DCT, there is no direct linkage with the transmission and input would be under computer control, likely with programmed limits that don’t exceed the design capacity of the transmission. The reverse gear would live on the same input shaft as gear 2, so it would not be much different than upshifting to second gear under moderate load. I don’t think there’s any other components in the transmission that might carry some momentum briefly after a stop (like a torque converter in an traditional auto). 🤓

But yes, shifting slower and holding onto the brake longer would work. Just not if you have to do a white knuckle three-point turn on a country road with blind hills both ways in a snowstorm at night. Better turn off ISG for that one. 😁

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
53 Posts
Not unless it was used to turn off ISG and leave it off. I want to use ISG, I just want it to be smart enough to know not to start an engine that is being parked.
Ahhh, ok

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
79 Posts
well with Ida going on in the US, there’s a lot of flooding. I thought my X line with the 1 inch additional height could get through this amount of water. It didn’t. it stalled after a few minutes. A freakin Rav4 drove by me effortlessly.
If Kia denies the warranty, show 'em this...
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
132 Posts
so Geico towed it to the shop. per the appraiser, they don’t think the engine is flooded. what had happened was that the sensors turned the engine off once they recognized water was present in the engine bay and preserved the engine by turning it off. so essentially the car is in off mode. they have to reboot it. they pulled out that cotton filter and it was soaked. i know nothing about cars but i believe them because i can turn on accessory mode and everything. hopefully have good news soon. the estimate was close to $600.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
192 Posts
This is strange. I literally drove through a hurricane a couple weeks ago, roughly 3 hours of torrential rains. No issues.

It's a huge relief your engine isn't toast, but something is very weird here. I assume OBD codes might tell the story here

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
132 Posts
well flood waters isn’t exactly the same as torrential rains. I’ve driven through rainstorms just fine, too.

161 - 180 of 180 Posts