Kia Forum banner
141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
911 Posts
That sucks, and I can't imagine why it got soaked unless you were driving fast enough to scoop water up inside the engine compartment. I think you may have to open the hood and stick a fan in there to hasten the drying. I've driven my older Nissan Rogue through 8-9" of water, it didn't bother it at all. The only downside was I needed to do a few braking tests to get the water out of the brakes, but then all was well.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
132 Posts
That’s what I did. scoop is a good word to describe it. cause the water wasn’t that high. I also ruined my right front rim when i made the turn and curbed it (couldn’t see, I had to estimate where the turn into my complex would be).

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
i suspect since the other cars (it was a trail) were splashing too that it was their back splashes that got me. I attempted to re-start this morning now that the flood waters have drained but no dice. ill keep trying periodically as the sun gets out and hopefully dries it
I suggest that you take a look at the air filter element - it might still be wet and that would prevent starting and it will confirm if water ingestion occurred.

If it did swallow a slug of water get ready for an insurance claim.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
i suspect since the other cars (it was a trail) were splashing too that it was their back splashes that got me. I attempted to re-start this morning now that the flood waters have drained but no dice. ill keep trying periodically as the sun gets out and hopefully dries it
Have you pulled out your drop-in AF to see if its' wet? I hope it didn't get past the MAF and into the cylinders. It doesn't seem the water was high enough to fry any electronics, but dang man. If your air filter is wet might want to call the insurance company.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
No MAF on this model.

Reactions: C-Trink

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S 2.5 GDI USA
88 Posts
Sorry to here yours quit. I had an incident at a car wash a couple of months ago but it resolved it self after waiting 10 minutes. It was scary listening to it crank but not start. I have gone through puddles up to the door jams and it continued to run. Your theory about a splash could be the most plausible. Hope in did not get into the intake. That will lock it right up. What does the dealer say?

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
53 Posts
My annoyances for the US builds.

• No memory seat options, even on the top trims when you are spending $40k or more.
  • No way to get SX Prestige AWD without X-Line
  • Blue isn't offered on very top trim (SXP AWD)
  • No Digital Key (use your phone as a key)
  • No built-in dash cam (uses factory front and rear cameras)

What's crazy is that I could get the SX AWD in blue in Canada and it has all the options the SXP AWD has here in the US but just no X-Line. So full digital cluster, cooled front seats, SVM, BVM, etc.

• Wow
Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
88 Posts
Previous Sorentos had the same parking brake button. I get more annoyed with cleaning dirt out of that hole.

as for the hot dash, if it really is hit to the touch on you car you should take it in ti your dealer. I have the digital gauges and the dash does not get hot.
I'm thinking his phone got hot using a GPS app - Waze or whatever and heated up the dash screen behind where the phone sat. Phones get hot after a while of using GPS navigation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
NJ and Oregon have decided that pumping your own gas is dangerous for anyone to do on their own, but safe enough for someone making minimum wage and 1 hr. of safety training can handle. Those are the only 2 states I am aware of.
I've wondered what they do if you have gas cans to fill. They do those as well? Like contractors may have lots of them... weird. My wife's from NJ so I've seen the crazy spectacle. So backwards. Takes wayyy more time. One dude running around to the cars - pumping - then ya gotta pay them... one at a time... what a royal PITA!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Weird thing is if I get in the car with or without the key fob in my pocket and shut the door, the interior door lock will work just fine. Everyone I’ve spoken to with different vehicles (Toyota, Hyundai, etc) with smart keys - the interior lock button functions as expected. Open the door, press the interior lock button, shut the door - car is locked.
Yes - If you are in the car - shut the door - you can lock it with the button. You are sitting in the locked car. Open the door and the lock opens. I can assure you all cars operate the same way. You can't have the door open and hit the lock button and the door lock. Now there is a way - on Honda's you can lift the door handle on the outside, and hit the door lock, then close the door. Give this a try.

·
Registered
88 Posts

• No memory seat options, even on the top trims when you are spending $40k or more.
  • No built-in dash cam (uses factory front and rear cameras)

View attachment 120667

View attachment 120668

What's crazy is that I could get the SX AWD in blue in Canada and it has all the options the SXP AWD has here in the US but just no X-Line. So full digital cluster, cooled front seats, SVM, BVM, etc.
Whoa! I need that dashcam feature! I wonder if it's a module we can purchase...

Reactions: octavian_kia

·
Registered
39 Posts

• No built-in dash cam (uses factory front and rear cameras).
Ssssh, they need to hold some features back for the 2024/2025 refresh.

My biggest gripe is the tiny screen in the dash, but whatever.

Nicest surprise is the peppy TGDI engine. My spouse and I test drove the Telluride. You had to treat it as if you were driving a bus: a lot more mindfulness about building up momentum and speed than I was used to. The Sorento has a much more direct driving feel.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ssssh, they need to hold some features back for the 2024/2025 refresh.

My biggest gripe is the tiny screen in the dash, but whatever.

Nicest surprise is the peppy TGDI engine. My spouse and I test drove the Telluride. You had to treat it as if you were driving a bus: a lot more mindfulness about building up momentum and speed than I was used to. The Sorento has a much more direct driving feel.
...and it's MPI & GDI - so it could be the perfect engine design... :) All the efficiency of a GDI with none of the drawbacks of a GDI.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
...and it's MPI & GDI - so it could be the perfect engine design... :) All the efficiency of a GDI with none of the drawbacks of a GDI.
Read that last sentence again, slowly. (*jokes)

• Haha
Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S 2.5 GDI USA
88 Posts
2021 Sorento owner. Here is another petty gripe. They give you an owners manual and a couple of thinner books for the warranty, special features and so on. They include a leather pouch. The pouch is two small for the manuals. You cant latch it shut. I did not think anything of it until someone with a 2019 Sorento showed me his leather pouch. His owners manuals were the same size but the pouch was much bigger and opened from the side rather than the top. All the books and then some fit comfortably inside. They broke something that was OK. I went on Ebay and bought a 2019 Kia owners manual pouch for $20. It was well worth it. The manuals were getting all frayed just floating around in the glove box.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Read that last sentence again, slowly. (*jokes)
Well it's still a GDI at heart - but the MPI negates the negatives - turning them into a positive. So it's an A+ engine. :)

Reactions: C-Trink

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorrento Hybrid EX Aurora Black, 2016 Kia Soul +
13 Posts
So after driving a rental K5 with wireless CarPlay the last two days, I’ll stick with wired thanks very much. What a POS. How anyone decided that was ready for prime time is beyond me.
Purchased my EX Hybrid in March.
Use wireless CarPlay everyday without ever a single problem.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
192 Posts
Purchased my EX Hybrid in March.
Use wireless CarPlay everyday without ever a single problem.
Same...almost.

Literally this morning I experienced my first issue, which was more of a 3 second nuisance. When I powered up, the ACP didn't connect and display on the dash right away like it usually does. So I pressed the "Connect apple carplay" button on the touch screen, but the screen just went black for a second and switched over to the radio instead. I tried it 3 times no same result. So I hit the push to talk button on the steering wheel and the Carplay menu loaded on the screen right away. I'll have to check to see if it's still happening later today

I think the "issue" is in the head unit itself.

141 - 160 of 180 Posts