Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I haven't put many miles on my new SX and while it's wonderful car, I've got some quibbles and annoyances mounting.
We can share and maybe solve some together.
Exterior:
  1. Gloss black pillars scratch very easily. I imagine this happened during the car's only car wash thus far. OUCH!
    Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Car Hood
  2. The large diameter X-line roof rails don't have t-slots which could have provided a way to attach cross rails between them instead of raised above.
    Water Building Asphalt Grass Plant
    Water Nature Wood Automotive tire Hood
  3. The backup cameras cause a loud constant warning when in reverse due to having a bike rack on the added trailer hitch. The car is convinced I'll hit the rack / LOL
    Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire

Interior:
  1. Not a lot of storage space. The glove box is small. The door storage areas are small and not ergonomic. The rear storage area (under the carpet) is nice but would be great if it were larger.
    • The door storage area is not a great shape for storage and is uncomfortably tight to reach into unless the door is open.
      White Light Car Black Comfort

• I can't imagine what this purposeful looking small rectangular cubby space is for under the armrest?
      Automotive design Grey Vehicle door Personal luxury car Automotive exterior
      Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Tints and shades
Under the hood:
  1. A heavy hood with no hood struts. Solved with a mod: Hood Struts 2021 Sorento

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid EX Gravity Blue
86 Posts
1) The hybrid comes with hood struts
2) Turn your parking sensors off and it will shut up when reversing
3) the hybrid has flush rails instead of raised and have a different rack fit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will dig in and shut off the sensors. I won't be trading in my choice of awesome car for a hybrid to fix the hood struts and I don't want flush rails.
What quibbles or annoyances have you found with the hybrid?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid EX Gravity Blue
86 Posts
I will dig in and shut off the sensors. I won't be trading in my choice of awesome car for a hybrid to fix the hood struts and I don't want flush rails.
What quibbles or annoyances have you found with the hybrid?
Mainly the maintenance requirements. It’s truly ridiculous compared to other car brands. Much more frequent than Toyota hybrids. The money I’m saving on gas goes right back into maintenance. Probably going to trade it soon for a Tesla Model Y. There’s only a $3k difference between the Sorento and the Y right now. That’s worth it to me to never buy a drop of gas again nor pay for hardly any maintenance.

·
Registered
USA 2021 Kia Sorento, SX X-Line Green Rust
140 Posts
Hi, I haven't put many miles on my new SX and while it's wonderful car, I've got some quibbles and annoyances mounting.
Exterior:
  1. Gloss black pillars scratch very easily. I imagine this happened during the car's only car wash thus far. OUCH! View attachment 117775
  2. The large diameter X-line roof rails don't have t-slots which could have provided a way to attach cross rails between them instead of raised above. View attachment 117780 View attachment 117792
  3. The backup cameras cause a loud constant warning when in reverse due to having a bike rack on the added trailer hitch. The car is convinced I'll hit the rack / LOL View attachment 117776

Interior:
  1. Not a lot of storage space. The glove box is small. The door storage areas are small and not ergonomic. The rear storage area (under the carpet) is nice but would be great if it were larger.
Under the hood:
  1. A heavy hood with no hood struts. Solved with a mod: Hood Struts 2021 Sorento
Please send link of that bumper protect I think I see , I got a black metal protector for the cargo sill but not the bumper , I load lots of gear and my other cars are all scratched there

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata
34 Posts
Exterior:
  1. Gloss black pillars scratch very easily. I imagine this happened during the car's only car wash thus far. OUCH! View attachment 117775
  2. The large diameter X-line roof rails don't have t-slots which could have provided a way to attach cross rails between them instead of raised above. View attachment 117780 View attachment 117792
  3. The backup cameras cause a loud constant warning when in reverse due to having a bike rack on the added trailer hitch. The car is convinced I'll hit the rack / LOL View attachment 117776

Interior:
Under the hood:
Did you take it through the automatic car wash? the one with the brushes. if so i would highly advise against doing that ever.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige
8 Posts
Exterior:

Interior:
Under the hood:
Thanks for posting! Especially about the scratches from the car wash. I’ll stick to touch less washes or just do it myself I guess. I have sapphire blue so I imagine I’ll want to wash it all the time. Just picked it up Sunday so no bad annoyances yet. Fingerprints on the dash get annoying. And I can’t get the sound off when I lock and unlock my doors

·
Registered
2021 Kia sorento EX, 08 Kawasaki nomad,
107 Posts
what kind of hitch do you have?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S 2.5 GDI USA
88 Posts
1) The hybrid comes with hood struts
3) the hybrid has flush rails instead of raised and have a different rack fit.
Problem with the roof racks is you cant tie anything onto the roof without the special Kia cross bars.

Here is a good one. My wife complained about the lack of heat on her side. She is accustomed to the blast of heat from her 2011 Santa Fe with 4xDI engine. I noticed a red tag behind the glove box. Upon closer inspection the tag reads remove from cabin filter before delivery. After spending $15 for access to the Sorento service manual I followed the instructions and lowered the glove compartment and took out the cabin filter. It was covered in shrink wrap which was supposed to have been removed. Now the heat works just like my 2011 Santa Fe. This is obviously a dealer issue not a Kia issue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here is my gripe. This trim was broken when I took delivery in early December. On a handshake they said it would get replaced. They were supposed to call me when it came in. I called the salesman in late January to see if the part had come in. He told me he did not know anything about what I was talking about but it did not matter since trim is not covered by any warranty. One of the moderators of these forums repeated the same thing. I have the trim on order at another dealer. I had to pay $40 bucks in advance for them to proceed with the order. I have allready been admonished by various moderators for not getting this in writing when it was discovered. To all the moderators and others who have been scolding me. How would you feel if you had to look at that on a car you just paid 35 thousand dollars? How by missuse and abuse could I have caused this kind of damage? To spare me future scoldings I will just say in advance it's what I deserve for my ignorance and I learned a valuable lesson.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
133 Posts
noticed this with our recent snow pileups. At a standstill in a red light, the proximity alarm goes on, cameras turn on and everything. It’s the huge pile of snow that’s to my left. it was annoying. I’m wondering if there’s a cancel button? I don’t want it off permanently. Just when it’s clearly wrong about what it’s sensing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please send link of that bumper protect I think I see , I got a black metal protector for the cargo sill but not the bumper , I load lots of gear and my other cars are all scratched there
I have SX which has bumper protector preinstalled on the back. The rear cargo mat I linked to does have extra material that is folded under and is meant to drape over the bumper for loading or having dogs jump in and out.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
93 Posts
A heavy hood with no hood struts. Solved with a mod: Hood Struts 2021 Sorento
Hey there. First post on the forum for me -- I'm currently looking at some X-Lines at my local dealer. I'm really glad you mentioned that, because I hadn't looked in the engine bay yet. Is it just the old style metal prop rod? It seems crazy that they'd put a strut in some models and not others.

2" Kia hitch from dealer.
Could I trouble you for a pic of the Kia-installed hitch, or at least your impressions of it? The 2" one I installed myself on my Outback is an Torklift Ecohitch, and it's a very clean looking and minimally protruding hitch, which I'd prefer. It bolted up inside the bumper so that only the receiver tube itself showed on the underside, as shown here:

I hope the Sorento factory one is a similar "hidden" style (as the Telluride hitches seem to be), as I've seen a few really ugly ones that also ruin the rear ground clearance.

Thanks much!

EDIT: Btw, regarding the easily scratchable accent pieces on the B and C pillars...

1. Gloss black pillars scratch very easily.
...I assume the car's too new to have aftermarket protectors available yet? I wonder if something like clear Tenacious Tape could be sized and cut to fit them? I use it to repair my tents and other gear, but it adheres well to almost surfaces, and it's very tough. It reminds me of the clear plastic film protectors you can put on your phone or camera screens except marginally thicker. It's almost entirely translucent, and doesn't scratch like hard plastic. Maybe I'll test a small piece out if I wind up going with the Sorento.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here is a good one. My wife complained about the lack of heat on her side. She is accustomed to the blast of heat from her 2011 Santa Fe with 4xDI engine. I noticed a red tag behind the glove box. Upon closer inspection the tag reads remove from cabin filter before delivery. After spending $15 for access to the Sorento service manual I followed the instructions and lowered the glove compartment and took out the cabin filter. It was covered in shrink wrap which was supposed to have been removed. Now the heat works just like my 2011 Santa Fe. This is obviously a dealer issue not a Kia issue.
Hey - if they missed that, have you checked your tire pressures yet? They'll have been at 50psi during transit from the factory to stop them flat spotting, and they are meant to be reduced to the correct pressure by the dealer during PDI, but it's a frequently missed step. Check the tire pressures of rental cars and 4 times out of 5 they will be way over inflated for that reason.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey there. First post on the forum for me -- I'm currently looking at some X-Lines at my local dealer. I'm really glad you mentioned that, because I hadn't looked in the engine bay yet. Is it just the old style metal prop rod? It seems crazy that they'd put a strut in some models and not others.

Could I trouble you for a pic of the Kia-installed hitch, or at least your impressions of it? The 2" one I installed myself on my Outback is an Torklift Ecohitch, and it's a very clean looking and minimally protruding hitch, which I'd prefer. It bolted up inside the bumper so that only the receiver tube itself showed on the underside, as shown here:

I hope the Sorento factory one is a similar "hidden" style (as the Telluride hitches seem to be), as I've seen a few really ugly ones that also ruin the rear ground clearance.j...

Btw, regarding the easily scratchable accent pieces on the B and C pillars...
...I assume the car's too new to have aftermarket protectors available yet? I wonder if something like clear Tenacious Tape could be sized and cut to fit them?...
  1. YEP, Sorento has an old style metal prop for it's large and heavy hood. Pretty dumb.
  2. The KIA hitch is high quality but not terribly "stealth". I'll get a photo on here later.
  3. Scratchable Pillars: I'm not familiar with Tenacious Tape but I think 3M Vinyl wrap would go on easy and do the job. I don't know if I'll try black or clear: https://www.amazon.com/3M-G12-GLOSS...hild=1&keywords=3m+wrap&qid=1614982435&sr=8-1 ; https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Clear...&keywords=3m+wrap+clear&qid=1614982754&sr=8-6

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
93 Posts
Thanks in advance! As long as it's not one of those hitches with the inexplicably large steel tubes jutting out on either side -- I think U-Haul specializes in that...style (air quotes). They're atrocious.

And yes! I'd bet 3M's wrap is very similar in look and feel to the vinyl used in tenacious tape, and idea would be the same. Just something semi-permanent that both protects AND doesn't show the scratches.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hitch Pics, without removing my bike rack. EDIT: LOL, I was saying the hitch is pretty hidden but I looked again and it is noticible. I was looking only from the sides because the bike rack was blocking it from the rear.... : Tow hitch for bike rack?

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rim
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey - if they missed that, have you checked your tire pressures yet? They'll have been at 50psi during transit from the factory to stop them flat spotting, and they are meant to be reduced to the correct pressure by the dealer during PDI, but it's a frequently missed step. Check the tire pressures of rental cars and 4 times out of 5 they will be way over inflated for that reason.
My tire pressures are stable at 35 PSI after 3 months. The auto engine shut-off is on as the default when starting. It's 19 degrees F (-7 C) and you stop at a light and the engine shuts off along with the heater blower. At 19 degrees F the car gets real cold real fast. There is a button to disable this but it would be nice for the car to take into account how cold it is before shutting the heat off. I am surprised the Koreans did not think of this. Winters on the Korean Peninsula are brutal.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts