Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Sedona 2.9 LX Auto 27,500miles on the clock on an 02 plate and my first diesel.

I've been reading through this forum and I have kinda scared myself a bit.

1) How reliable is the J3000 engine, is it a Merc' engine and briefly what is common rail?

2) On UK motorway runs I'm a little heavy on the accelerator, what can this vehicle comfortably cruise at all day?

3) I have been told that short stop /start trips with this vehicle ruins the engine
any truth in this?

4) Does one have to remove the head light unit to replace a blown lamp?

5) It's just out of its 3 year warranty, can I extend this for a further 2years with Kia?

6) It has roof rails but as I intend to use it for work, (decorating), I would preferably like to fit a large roof rack, if not roof bars to the rails, I need part numbers as well as names or has anyone had a custom one made?
Many Thanks
Seacam

·
Registered
391 Posts
I know that the warranty can be extended kia should contact the owner before the 3 years is up.. I think it is about £600..

I don't know about short trips ruining the engine anymore on a kia than any other engine, although it is the only diesel I have heard about where the manual tells you to keep the engine running for 2 minutes when you stop if you have driven at more than 50 mph..

I drive at a comfortable speed although you will find that it gulps the fuel if you are driving over 2000 revs.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Thanks for your reply,

If one can rely on what the handbook says for the Sedona
the 2 minutes before switching off is required for the turbo charger to cool.
Seacam

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seacam,
1 - common rail is the way the diesel fuel is supplied injected into each cylinder - go for a google search for a proper answer
2 - 2000 rpm cruising will make you a mobile chicane :grin: When my sedona was new (100 miles on it) it was driven across france to switzerland and did over 600 miles in 12 hours sitting at 80 - 85 mph quite happily.
3 - short trips will kill any engine and rot the exhaust out too from condensation.
4 - God knows but the back light comes out very quickly !
5 - Quite possibly or try warranty direct or similar.
6 - If you find out let me know too !
As for the turbo (or anything turbo) if you don't let the turbo cool down by switching off the engine immeadiately, you then starve the tubos bearing of oil hence its still spinning with no lubrication causing it to wear rapidly. As for the engine labouring a diesel is worse than thrashing it, if its rough or smokey (clogged up) try some "Forte" diesel treatment (ebays cheapest) even my dealer is selling it now with the servicing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Eco,

Thankyou for your reply, I forgot about Google.

As for extending the warranty I finaly got hold of Kia's warranty department
today on 0208-603-9936 who told me that because it's out of it's warranty they can't extend it, however they inform me had that not been the case they could have for an extra 2years at a cost of 1,230-00.

Thanks for the information on the turbo.
Seacam

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Originally posted by clartsonly@Jul 11 2005, 09:59 AM
Question: is the Design of the Sedona Engine a good one, there are so many different types of diesel engines.
Now theres a question.
So many things make a good/bad engine.
In general, mechanical reliability is very very good, VERY few failures of the engine itself.
Let down by a slightly fragile fuel system/electronics imho.
Not the quiestest engine, certainly not the smoothest, but an acceptable compromise of noise/power/harshness.

We shall see what the new model has in store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts