Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX; 07 BMW 335i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals,
Newbie here. Just got our '13 sorento sx and have a couple of questions. please be gentle, our very first kia..
we got the sx premium pkg which has the nav system..i noticed that we don't have the HD Radio anymore, is this true for our model? also, we don't have the compass in the rearview mirror either, is this also true for our model with the incl. sx prem pkg? thanks and happy motoring! :)

·
Registered
2011 Titanium Sorento SX - 39,000 miles since 03/2011
106 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I have the 2011 SX, and wanted both these features as well, but they were not available for that year. The GPS screen has a compass, but that is not as convenient of having it right on the mirror. I did inquire at my dealership, and they can take off the current mirror and put on the one with the directional indicator, but it was about $500, so I personally did not think it was worth it.

I was also disappointed to not have HD radio, and the UVO system for radio/phone/music control. I just checked the Kia site and it looks like the GPS/back up camera package including HD radio is optional. So if you have the GPS/back up camera, I would think you should have the HD radio too. It might be a setting buried in the menu somewhere... I would say check through the documentation you received and see if you can find anything.

Hopefully someone with a 2013 SX will weigh in.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Cadenza SXL, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Hemi V8, 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6
48 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I have the 2011 SX, and wanted both these features as well, but they were not available for that year. The GPS screen has a compass, but that is not as convenient of having it right on the mirror. I did inquire at my dealership, and they can take off the current mirror and put on the one with the directional indicator, but it was about $500, so I personally did not think it was worth it.

I was also disappointed to not have HD radio, and the UVO system for radio/phone/music control. I just checked the Kia site and it looks like the GPS/back up camera package including HD radio is optional. So if you have the GPS/back up camera, I would think you should have the HD radio too. It might be a setting buried in the menu somewhere... I would say check through the documentation you received and see if you can find anything.

Hopefully someone with a 2013 SX will weigh in.
The Navigation Radio is not HD compatible for years 11, 12, & 13. You can only get HD Radio with the Standard UVO head unit. I was disappointed about this as well when I bought my 2012 SX.

It appears that the upcoming 2014 models equipped with Navigation will have HD Radio as well as UVO eServices Telematics. Here's the link to it... 2014 Kia Sorento Overview

·
Registered
Sorento SX; 07 BMW 335i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys,
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Yeah I checked with the Sales guy (although I'm not confident he knows much) and he said that the Nav system replaces the UVO HD unit, and that the Nav basically removes the HD Radio receiver as well. That's unfortunate because I would like to have that feature. I also have the premium pkg, yet it does not include the HD Radio. Not cool. My Nav does come with SiriusXM satellite radio, and I have a 3-month free trial right now, but I don't plan on subscribing to it, when I can stream music from my phone. So now I guess I'm stuck with a radio receiver that is not HD!! Again, not cool.

Also, same as doxcyguy mentioned, my Sales guy said since I have the Nav, the digital directional compass is provided by the Nav, at the upper left corner of the screen, albeit very small to see. I still prefer the compass on the rearview mirror, however, as I tend to look around my car when I drive, about 60% looking at the rearview mirror for high way patrolmen :). And I'm not about to pay $500 for another mirror that has the compass embedded in it.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Cadenza SXL, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Hemi V8, 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6
48 Posts
Hi guys,
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Yeah I checked with the Sales guy (although I'm not confident he knows much) and he said that the Nav system replaces the UVO HD unit, and that the Nav basically removes the HD Radio receiver as well. That's unfortunate because I would like to have that feature. I also have the premium pkg, yet it does not include the HD Radio. Not cool. My Nav does come with SiriusXM satellite radio, and I have a 3-month free trial right now, but I don't plan on subscribing to it, when I can stream music from my phone. So now I guess I'm stuck with a radio receiver that is not HD!! Again, not cool.

Also, same as doxcyguy mentioned, my Sales guy said since I have the Nav, the digital directional compass is provided by the Nav, at the upper left corner of the screen, albeit very small to see. I still prefer the compass on the rearview mirror, however, as I tend to look around my car when I drive, about 60% looking at the rearview mirror for high way patrolmen :). And I'm not about to pay $500 for another mirror that has the compass embedded in it.
I totally agree on your points...

As for Sirius, it's really not worth the subscription. Especially when you can stream Pandora or Stitcher Radio. Sirius blindspots are horrible.

All these things have me seriously wanting to look at the 2014 when it's released. Supposed to be some major changes/improvements that could make it worth trading.

·
Registered
2011 Titanium Sorento SX - 39,000 miles since 03/2011
106 Posts
I took will be looking at the 2014 for some of these new features, specifically the automatic rear tail gate.
I am two weeks post op with a lower spinal fusion, so the push button looks like it will be a good feature for me.

For those of you looking at possibly upgrading - will you sell your current Sorento's privately, or go the trade in route? This is the first car I have bought new, so I haven't done this type of thing before. I will have the 2011 paid off by the time I look into doing this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Sorento SX; 07 BMW 335i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, the 2014 sure dose look promising, with apparently more than 80% new or upgraded parts/accessories. Unfortunately, we couldn't wait that long, so we had to get the '13 model, but I guess nothing's perfect, we'll just have to deal with some of the shortcomings. On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with the '13 so far, and we'll see how it goes. This is our first Kia vehicle and my 2nd brand new car. I was debating between the Sorento against the Ford Edge. Pretty tight competition there...

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
If you are trying to sell, if it is the AWD V6,EX or SX optioned, you will be in luck. They are high demand vehicles at least in my area. Prices are much, much higher than the GDI and I4's. This is especially true if you bargined hard and got a good original deal on the 2011s before they caught on with consumers. You might do well just selling it yourself. Dealers historically will only give you trade in prices unless they have a potential buyer on the hook. Remember bottom line only counts. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts