Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent some time reading the sticky at the top of the forum and still have not found answers to these questions. I have a 2013 Sportage without premium sound and purchased this GPS unit
. Although it looks nice there are wires that look like they need to be connected outside of the harness. I thought it would be plug and play and I dont really want to splice into the factory wires. If I do have to splice into the wires does this look like it is the right model for my car?

Here is a photo of the back of the new radio. Do all of the wires on the right need to be spliced in since they are not inside the factory replacement harness? Wouldnt those wires exist in the factory harness, or maybe not since I dont have factory GPS?

New harness.

What is the factory connector for that is circled?

By itself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I plugged in the gps radio after I taped up the 5 or so wires that weren't in the harness and everything functions except I get no audio. I called Crutchfield for their help and he confirmed my theory of an amplifier in my car even though I don't have premium sound. If you note, in picture 3 there are 8 empty terminals on the smaller factory connector, and that is where the speaker wires normally go to per Kia technical website info. It seems that Kia re-routed those 8 wires to an amp and the mystery 4 pin connector is the line level feed to that amp. (?)

I cannot believe I am the first person to run into this!! Crutchfield has no documentation on the connector in question but they will start to investigate.

Is anyone familiar with, or maybe knows someone who would be familiar with this harness? If its just a line level feed, I can make a adapter to take the pre-outs of my new radio and feed this harness. I will probably also need to trigger the amp on. I guess the next step will be to dig through the car to find where this harness goes and decipher what connections are there. I asked Crutchfield how the fader in the radio would work if there are only 4 wires feeding signal to the amp (left-, left+, right -, right +) and he said the fading may take place at the amp.

Help!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stating where you are located country-wise probably will help.
Good ole USA. I spoke with Metra today and tech support said that my vehicle has an amplifier. They make an interface box but i am not convinced it will do the job, and for $120 I am not gambling. More research is required.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like your unit has the digital amplifier which would require the canbus interface box.
In photo #2 of my original post, one of this red boxes on the harnes has a sticker that says CANBUS INTERFACE. Are you referring to this or something different? Do you know of a specific model or manufacturer if its another interface that I would need?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts