Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX | 2009 Borrego EX (gone)
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I own a 2009 Borrego EX. I have a couple questions about the audio system.
1) at volume 0, there is no sound, no hiss, nothing (just like it should be). However, at volume 1, there is a hum, like the gains are set too high. Since I listen to a lot of coffee house music, this hum is VERY irritating.

2) This is third car I have owned with satellite radio. I constantly get 'acquiring signal' error messages on the Borrego - but I never had these issues before. With that being said, the other 2 were aftermarket units, not a factory unit such as this one.

Thanks for any advice.
Erik

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
Hate to be master of the obvious... but,

Is this only on the sat radio? Doe the other functions work.

Did you activate sirius? If not does the preview channel work?

If answer is yes and yes... then maybe problem with antenna or connection to it. Take it to dealer.

You say you normally have good sat coverage where you live?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey smuook...
The hum noise is with all audio - iPod, SAT, CD, radio, etc.
SAT is working great! I am getting all of the channels without issue - I just 'acquiring signal' a lot - I mean a lot. On my drive to work, I loose the signal about 4-6 times. On my other cars, not once. When I do loose the signal, it is only for a second or so, but it's annoying...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - here is what I wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Here are some more details:

HUM ISSUE:
Sound settings:
Bass: -3
Midrange: +1
Tweeter: +2
I have the 10 speaker Infinity system with center channel and sub.
I do not think this unit has an EQ button like the Sorento model does, but I could be wrong.
The hum I hear happens no matter what you do – play cd, SAT, iPod, etc. It doesn’t seem to be affected by the sounds setting levels either.

SAT ISSUE:
It didn’t happen as bad this morning, I think only twice. But when it did happen, I was cruising down the highway, no tunnels, bridges, buildings etc.

Thanks for the help guys!
Erik

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX
20 Posts
edwelly,

The same "acquiring satellite signal" happens to me all the time too. I notice it more on certain channels than others. Disney Radio (115) is the worst. I lose the signal a couple of times per song! Drives the kids nuts. I've had XM for years and never had this happen except in tunnels, etc. I'm glad it's not just me. I haven't heard the "hum" before, but then again, I haven't really listened for it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Jimmy1405 -
Don't listen for it. If you are like me, once you hear it, you will always hear it :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MizP - when you say upgrade, what exactly do you mean by upgrade? And why the upgrade?

·
Registered
2009 Borrego
3 Posts
They used a USB stick and did an update on my sirius. I find the only time I loose reception now is when I park underground, before I would loose it quite often.

The 10 speaker system is not available here only the basic 6 speaker with Sat/Ipod/CD and USB/AUX by shifter for the EX 6cyl. I have about 10,000 miles on the truck already and never had a problem with noise from factory deck, but again I only have the 6 speakers no center channel or sub.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply on is. am going to check out more info on the update via the USB connection!!!

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX
20 Posts
Erik,

Against better judgement I went and listened for the "hum" on volume 1. Nothing. I'm going to check on the radio "update" also. That would be awesome if that solved the satellite reception problem.

Jimbo

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks Jim for checking it out for me - MUCH APPRECIATED on this end. I am going to do some digging on the USB update as well. let me know what you find out and I will do the same for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts