Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2007 Kia Rondo LX. The dealer gave me one regular key to the car. The car was not advertised as having a remote keyless entry system, so I assumed it didn't. However, only the drivers door has a key hole, the passenger side does not. I thought this was weird, until I read this in the owners manual:

"If your vehicle is equipped with the remote keyless entry system, there is no key lock on the front passenger's door"

I am assuming by this that my car does indeed have remote keyless system installed? Do you agree?

If so, how would I go about getting a replacement fob? I will check with the dealer (Chevy dealer) next week where I bought the used car, but since it was not advertised as having this feature, I expect him to simply say he doesn't have one. Someone told me that getting a fob from a Kia dealer can cost close to $200, is that true? I also saw some on ebay for about $18, but said you have to go to a Kia dealer to get them programmed, is that also true? How much should that cost? Does anyone have any experience in getting these?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
it would be helpful if you could fill in your location profile as vehicles are not equipped the same worldwide.

I had an '08 Rondo EX which had a remote. I am pretty sure that any of the models only had the drivers door key lock and was never one on the passengers side. The driver's door key can open and lock all the doors from the one door lock so the passengers side is not really necessary.

I have old brochures on the Canadian models, and the '07 LX model did not come standard with the keyless entry, is was part of the EX package. I am not sure on the US model.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
Since you only have a key hole on the drivers side, it should have keyless entry. If you go to the dealer to price the transmitter, write down the VIN, and the parts dept. will be able to verify that your Rondo has RKE, and give you a price on the remote if it does.

Another thing you could do is call the dealer you bought from and have them check to see if they have one. Most dealers that sell used cars have boxes of remotes lying around. You will probably need the part number. Another way to tell a Rondo remote is that it will have a small (UN) on the back of the remote on the tag with the part#. As long as it has a UN on the back, it should work.

Only a Kia dealer can program these remotes.

This is for US only, it may differ if you are elsewhere.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX V6 2.7L
7 Posts
Hey.. I don't know where your located, but in Ottawa I got a remote from MR Remotes MR Remotes Inc. Inc and they included programming for $50 and yes it works great!! (although I didnt notice the sticker on my hood stating my model has a remote starter so I simply got the FOB to lock/unlock ect). Yes they do require the vehicle so if your out of town and don't have a similar option you may be stuck with the Dealer. Another suggestion is to check only for an automotive locksmith in your area. I found 2 in Ottawa but they wanted $70-$90... Good luck..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts