Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a number of 3rd party LED lamps that replace OEM incandescent Bulbs for turn signals and brake lights.
Apparently they screw right into the OEM sockets.
I have a 2012 just a year before they started to use LED all over.
(Only have LED's roof brake, and mirror turn signals)

Has anyone tried to replace OEM with LED on a 2012?
It looks like the Sorento brake light circuit is pretty sensitive, (warranty?)
The reason I'm interested in the LED, is because they really stand out from other Red incandescent lights, specifically in peripheral vision.

I have had too many close calls, almost been rear ended a few times by people texting and driving, I've noticed LED's are very effective in peripheral vision.
The light has a buzz to it.
You have to be medically blind not to notice them!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I had some LED bulbs in my tailights for a while. I got them from DDM tuning and wasn't that impressed. It simply wasn't bright enough at night and when you hit the brakes, the difference between brake on and brake off wasn't noticable enough. During the day you could barley even see the brakes...only the centre mount was noticeable.

I'm sure if you got some real expensive bulbs it wouldn't be a problem, though.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
there are some options

1. there is a 25w led cree bulb 5 total leds all over 5w each in a bulb
it is available in china and ebay, if you buy from china like alibaba.com its cheaper if you also buy front led turn signal and rear ones and include your interior leds if you want.
i say cheaper because they ship through dhl.. when they ship to canada its fast, about 3 business days, cheaperr shipping about say 5-7, the cheapest 4 weeks..

2. osram leds.. also available like the above option

go to alibaba.com

this site i got most of mine for my civic and my bike also the sorento..
Dongguan Boguan Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. - led car lamp,led fluorescent,led ball lamp

i know what you mean the red leds on those cree/osram leds are really bright and very crisp in color

im not affiliated with them or anything its a cheaper and better option i could find compared to ebay

hope this helps

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
I bought SuperBright LEDs and had the same experience as Rento. The bulbs were insufficient and disappointing...and less safe in my opinion.

The Cree lights that kobi mentions are interesting, but I'd have to see that they are actually brighter than the stock lights before I'd buy them. And, that supplier mentions has a ten piece minimum purchase for each style bulb.

The LED signal lights that work so well are complete designs. The housings, reflectors, and bulbs are designed as a package. Add-ons usually do not work nearly as well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's a shame no aftermarket company has made LED tailights for the Sorento yet. They have them for the Optima and they look like the real deal (SX LED Tails)

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
if you know the sx tails are blinding when brake is applied here are the samples of daytime

brake light is on as well as turn and reverse

if you compare them with other leds its somewhat like this

the last person i talked to is lincy i think on that store.. it doesnt have to be minimum of 10.. i did not buy that many lol just saves you shipping cost if you upgrade all lights to leds

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you for the feedback everyone.
What's the chance of fitting the 2012 SX light's (whole assembly) to the EX.
Yup I know it's going to be expensive but possible?
Or possibly some internal components one can retro fit to house the LX LEDS inside?

·
Registered
532 Posts
What's the chance of fitting the 2012 LX lights (whole assembly) to the EX.
Or possibly some internal components one can retro fit to house the LX LEDS inside?
You mean SX, right? They have the factory LED's.

Some people have tried it on here but unfortunately it won't work. The wiring for the taillights is different and doesn't allow it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 Luxury
89 Posts
What's the chance of fitting the 2012 SX light's (whole assembly) to the EX.
The wiring on the SX is different then the EX & LX. What my plan is to go aftermarket. I have seen a few front headlights I like but, not too much are out there for the back.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The wiring on the SX is different then the EX & LX. What my plan is to go aftermarket. I have seen a few front headlights I like but, not too much are out there for the back.
Which really sucks because like i said before, there is a company making aftermarket LED tails for the Optima that look like the real SX factory tails.

If we could get something like that it would be perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts