Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my windows tinted eventually, but I am REALLY leery of having someone tint those tiny little front windows given the way they are positioned around the dash and A pillar. I would obviously go to a shop where they use computer cut tint film and not the old razor blade method. Even using plastic tools I am still worried they will scratch or knick up something in that area. Can anyone tell me from experience if they had any issues with any of the above happening? I am already anal enough about the car, I dont need to add something else on there that I can un do once its been done.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
The dealer I bought mine from outsourced my tint job with a local guy. He did a great job...no damage to any trim, and no bubbles or no discoloration after over a year.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I don't have those ones tinted on my Rio but my Versa had the same little windows and I had those tinted. There were no issues at all.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Just go to a reputable place and they will have the tools, knowledge and know-how to do it. Had ours done and there are NO dramas whatsoever. Saw a Rio the other day that had full tint except those windows and it really stood out!
Get it done.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX (auto)
47 Posts
i had mine done at a shop and when they did them they came out just fine with no error that im aware of just look at there work they usually have cars there they worked on

Attachments

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
on my previous vehicle, a '08 Rondo I had all the windows tinted (it did not come with any tinted windows at that time) including the small side windows at the front and were done by a specialize tint shop and did an excellent job. All the pieces are laser cut on a pattern for that specific vehicle. I also used high grade material which had a lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
I got those little ones done on mine and it's fine. No issues at all.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
I just got my Rio5 done yesterday and am stoked with how it came out. 34% all the way around, even the tiny windows up front. I'll post a picture in a bit.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
45 Posts
Got mine done too. No issues whatsoever except for the fact that the small side windows are not tinted just like the windshield. The rest of the windows (doors and rear) have a slight tint already in the glass and so if you look carefully at the rest of the windows you can tell they are ever so slightly darker.

One thing I did learn when getting the tints is that they can now apply a clear (non-tint) film to your windshield that cuts down UV and therefore helps reduce heat in the car. Has anybody tried this ?

·
Registered
Clear White 2012 Kia Rio5 EX w/ Technology pkg.
25 Posts
I am looking to get my windows tinted eventually, but I am REALLY leery of having someone tint those tiny little front windows given the way they are positioned around the dash and A pillar. I would obviously go to a shop where they use computer cut tint film and not the old razor blade method. Even using plastic tools I am still worried they will scratch or knick up something in that area. Can anyone tell me from experience if they had any issues with any of the above happening? I am already anal enough about the car, I dont need to add something else on there that I can un do once its been done.
They cut the patterns (olfa knife method) on the outside of the car. A knife will never come near the plastic panels on the inside of the car. If you've ever seen a tinter work, they have to cut them, heat them, shrink them, etc...which is why I don't like precut tint. It's a crutch. If you have just enough to cover a given area and then shrink it to match the curves, then it's not going to fit as well. We have a tinter come in to our shop 2-3 times a week. He did my car and it turned out great.

Jay

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
i had mine done at a shop and when they did them they came out just fine with no error that im aware of just look at there work they usually have cars there they worked on
Did you paint your hubs? Howd they turn out? I'm using mine for winter tires considering doing somethings with them

·
Registered
Kia Rio S 2012 (3-door hatchback)
41 Posts
I had mine done at a local workshop in my city (Ultratint, Southport for Gold Coast residents out there). The workshop guy is a certified trainer of tinting film application for 3M. I went with the darkest option (35% light going through), which looks very nice from the outside. It is dark enough to give us privacy, but not dark to the point that I can't see anything while driving at night. Will upload some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
Kia Rio S 2012 (3-door hatchback)
41 Posts
The guy also tinted those tiny windows in the front in my car. This was done perfectly (even though there's already a dash mat lying just below).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts