Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Kia Spectra '07 Kia Sedona
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Dave,
I'm new here and it seems you are very knowledgeable about Kia's. Here's one for ya. My '07 Spectra----when I first bought it couple years ago, I noticed that it didn't seem to be going as fast as the speedometer said. After using a couple GPS's and also going exactly 60mph between mile markers, it seems my speedometer is off about 4mph. I took it to the dealer as it was under warranty at the time but they said that this fell under normal parameters. I didn't find that acceptable but I left it alone and now am used to it. The real problem though is that I started logging actual mileage and what the odometer was reading. Turns out for every real mile I go, my car registers about 1.1 to 1.2 miles on the odometer. I did this also using GPS and mile markers on the highway. So my Spectra with 111,000 miles on it really only has about 105,000 actual driving miles. Again the dealer wouldn't admit the discreprancy. I've used factory specs on all my tire changes as well so that wouldnt be a factor. Not much I can do now, but wondering if anyone else has been as anal as I have concerning these issues. Test yours and let me know your results?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
It seems most Spectras are "off" by around this amount. There are other posts in the Spectra/Cerato area of these forums about this also.

By using your logic you should be reading 1.0667 miles for each actual 1 mile so it's closer to 1.1 (under) than to 1.2 .

The area of ".066666666" leads me to believe it's a computational error...

So reading 111,000 you have closer to 104,069 miles on it.

see... http://www.kia-forums.com/cerato-20...pectra5-speedometer-odometer-misreadings.html
and
http://www.kia-forums.com/cerato-20...474-my-speedometer-definitely-reads-fast.html

Looks like it might be an error created by the ECM... I'd bet that the calculating powers of these microprocessors are not too good and they have rounding errors... They are probably 8 bit processors and not 32bit or 64bit found in today's "real" computers... (or an "INTEL" math problem like they had hardcoded into one of their processors years ago :) ).
Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't believe they never recalled this issue being that I ran out of my warranty a lot quicker than I should have. Kind of deceiving to consumers when you're supposed to get 60000 mile warranty but your car really only has about 56000 true miles on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way Dave, how far is Massillon Ohio from Indianapolis, cause I would gladly pay you to put a timing belt on?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
Just 300 miles one way :)
If you have done basic mechanical work before, have metric wrenches, sockets, extensions, and two hydraulic floor jacks you CAN do a timing belt on a Spectra.
They are the least problematic of all the KIAS to do and we have info on HOW here.
I'm an electronic technician by trade (retired) and got involved with kia-forums.com because of my wife buying an 07 Spec. I have done all my cars mechanical work since I was young (I'm 64 and still agile enough for doing TBs).. so I'd bet you can....
Gonna be doing another for a friend of my wife (hers is an 08) and mine (06 with just 40k miles) within the next two weeks.
Dave

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I noticed that it didn't seem to be going as fast as the speedometer said. After using a couple GPS's and also going exactly 60mph between mile markers, it seems my speedometer is off about 4mph. I took it to the dealer as it was under warranty at the time but they said that this fell under normal parameters. I started logging actual mileage and what the odometer was reading. Turns out for every real mile I go, my car registers about 1.1 to 1.2 miles on the odometer. I did this also using GPS and mile markers on the highway.

...Wondering if anyone else has been as anal as I have concerning these issues?
I have to admit being a bit that way about odometers etc. -Speedos generally read 3% high, while odometers are usually within 1% in my experience. Note that tyre wear will alter both calibrations by at least 1% over the life of the tyres.

Your speedo seems to be 7% high, and you would need to test your odometer again to tie down that figure more precisely (1.1 to 1.2 miles/mile travelled is not very precise!). Since odometers only tick over every 0.1 mile, you'll need to pick a longer distance. A GPS journey of less than 100 miles will report a distance-to-destination precise to 0.1 mile, so see what your odometer says at the start and end of the trip. Various odometers on my cars are accurate to about 2 km over a 711 km known distance.

Not much you can do about any errors in the speedo/odo. Check the tyres again, and maybe think about getting a higher profile; that could fix it by up to 3%.

·
Registered
2007 Spectra5
93 Posts
I just did this same test last week on my newly purchased 05 Spectra, i found that being dead on 70mph on the gauge read between 67-68 mph on my GPS. I was looking into getting new tires, and with this information im now targeting my new tire size to be 205/55-16, which based on calculation should put me exact on the speedo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts