Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

This is my first post here. My Girlfriend just bought a 05 Sorento EX 4x4 yesterday. We got a great deal and my initial inpressions are this truck is awesome. I can't believe the leg room this thing has and being that I'm 6'3" I was a little worried. I can't wait to see what this thing has after its broken in.

My main concern is the towing capacity. I know the manual says 3500lbs max, but the freakin dealer told my GF that the 4x4 can pull an extra 1000lbs. I can't find anything that supports those claims. We want to get a boat in the future and the total weight will likely be 3000-4000 lbs. Does anybody have boat towing experiences they can share? Any input is greatly appreciated. I've read a lot of past posts but most of the heavy towing has come from Europe and thats with the diesel engine.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
dont know if this helps- here goes - My sorento is rated at 2800 kgs towing capacity.- and I think that's standard- i,e 6160 lbs.. It is a 3.5 automatic gas engined. But I believe the problem is one of "norms"- although I have the same vehicle as you in all mechanical respects, the vehicle in Europe is rated at 2800 kgs towing capacity- perhaps in the States the same vehicle is rated at half this.

Ignoring all these stupidities the vehicle tows my boat ( 2600 kgs with trailer) very, very well. I can do some 80 mph with the boat. So dont worry about towing
4000 lbs!!!!!

Good luck

Jonathan

·
Registered
44 Posts
here you go Ryan- this is my Sorento 3.5 automatic towing gross train at 2760 kgs+ driver!!!

Even at prolonged speed the box doesnt get hot and the ATF is still a fine red -i,e havnt burnt anything

jonathan

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response eupa!

I have read into this topic a lot lately and it seems like towing is a non-issue with the Sorento. I can sleep now knowing that I don't have to buy a smaller boat. Of course I don't intend on towing 2760kg (6000lbs!) but its nice to know that I can if I had to.

Thanks again Eupa, nice ride too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts