Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'13 RIO 5
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One little thing I don't like about my Rio is the skinny tires (looking at it from behind) I would like to get wider tires. I would like to know wich are the widest ones I can put on the stock rims? Would it make any difference? Or my only option is to change the rims too? I have the 15' ones.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Your user manual should show the range of wheel/tyre sizes for your car. For an given wheel size, there is only a limited number of tyres that will fit. This might only give you an extra 10 mm. Varying the tyre may not be permitted; some countries insist on placard sizes only.

Don't do it for cosmetic reasons. There's really very little to be gained performance-wise.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
Don't do it for cosmetic reasons. There's really very little to be gained performance-wise.
imho, incorrect. just upping tire width a couple mm and changing brands does wonders...

i put 205/60-15 falken ze912's on my rio. i have had them for 11k with no issues. they are right on the edge on fitment on the 5.5 wheel, but are within spec for the tire manufacturer. it handles much better with better wet weather performance too.

gas mileage took a slight hit (1-2mpg depending on circumstance), as the tires are wider and softer then the stockers. stock tires were cooked with nearly 30k as i wasnt gentle on them... i am happy with my decision to upgrade and would do it again. ;)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Like I said, you won't get much extra width to improve matters unless you go to wider rims. Your good results are most likely due to better brand of tyre rather than the few extra mm. But brand of tyre wasn't the issue here.

I still thank that you won't turn a Rio into a racer by fooling with the wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts