Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off.....I just bought a 2014 Sorento SXL and wanted to say thanks for all who make this a great community. I have been reading threads for many days now.

Here's my question...the dealer I bought it from has sort of a gimmick where they give you free tires and batteries for life....IF.....you do their service schedule with them.

Now....I looked at the service schedule and they require you back every 4 months for oil change and tire rotations and then alignments every year. Then you have mileage service tune up requirements. The fees aren't too bad for the first year or so but as you get to the every 15,000 mile and 30,000 mile tune ups, the costs start to get up there.

The dealer is about a 30 minute drive from me in the opposite direction of anywhere I would ever go to (wasn't the closest dealer) and every 4 months may be a pain.

So...my question is...how long do these stock tires usually last? What has been everyone's experience?

Also...how much have new sets of tires been? I did a search on Tirerack and it seems they run about $800 - $1,000 for a set of 4.

I usually don't do all the service dealer's recommendations on my cars. I always buy new and keep all my cars to the 100,000 mile mark and have never had problems. I also prefer synthetic oil and don't see a need to change every 4 months as we don't do a lot of driving. I just don't see the need to do all of this work but wanted opinions of current Sorento owners.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured I'd post all the data.....Here are my expected costs at mileage intervals (this does not include 6% "sales tax plus shop supplies")

5,000 - $50
10,000 - $64
15,000 - $215
20,000 - $64
25,000 - $50
30,000 - $246
35,000 - $50
40,000 - $64
45,000 - $215
50,000 - $64
55,000 - $50
60,000 - $246
65,000 - $50
70,000 - $64
75,000 - $215
80,000 - $64
85,000 - $50
90,000 - $246
95,000 - $50
105,000 - $487

So....I'm guessing that the drive and service work may be worth it for the first set but maybe not the future second set.

Anyways....any feedback would be helpful....Thanks again

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
As we all well know, nothing is free. You're paying for the tires both by the excessive maintenance requirements and perhaps by giving the stealership more opportunity to talk you into jobs you really didn't need, or could get done well elsewhere for less. Keep in mind that the new cars sales aren't a big profit item for the dealer, used car sales do better for him, and the service department is the gold mine.

As you see from the Tire Rack review, the stock KL21 tires are pretty mediocre.
Consumer Survey Results By Category
(From the tires shown on the Tirerack list, I'd pick the Continental LX20 for my needs. It does well in wet traction, OK in snow...but I use real snow tires...and good in comfort and tread life. It is H-speed rated, which is very good for these reasons: http://www.barrystiretech.com/speedratings.html Barry is a tire engineer.)

The new tires the dealer supplies could be even worse. Or, you can buy the tires that best suit your needs for a reasonable cost (there is much more to tires than just round, black, and hold air). You say you don't need a high mileage tire, but you might need a tire with superior wet braking, or snow traction, and you can do much better than these OEM tires. I'd pass on this deal.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
I agree with KLS. Have over 30K miles on mine and still have 9/32" tread left. They are not the best tires, but hard to wear out. Though the dealer rotates them for no charge at every oil change interval 7k+ they have yet to need even a rebalance and definitely never needed an alinement. A friend got a set of Perrillis and they really make a difference, even sharper handling and much softer ride over small bumps. Don't think they will last as long.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The prices don't seem too bad to me. I just wonder what is actually done during the $50 and $64 services, apart from rotating the tyres. At 15,000 miles per year, they'll be giving you 2 sets of tyres and a battery over the (estimated) 6 years, so "do the math". Oh yes, forget about the last service at 105,000 miles; it's too expensive. Sell at 99,000 miles. :)

Sounds like you might be doing less than 15,000 miles per year, and you could definitely extend oil changes to once yearly and buy tyres of your own choosing as needed. Provided you protect the warranty by doing handbook servicing, you might be ahead. What synth. oil do you use? I like Castrol Edge and Total Quartz.

Personally, I get the first couple of services done by the dealer and then go to a local mechanic for "essential maintenance" and otherwise look after upkeep of the car myself. As mentioned, not all tyres are created the same, and tyres such as Michelin & Yokohama are reasonably priced and offer fuel-saving benefits. Dealer tyres are likely not to be "top shelf", and buying them yourself, you have the opportunity to pick up good deals.

One of our cars is well out of warranty and gets "minimal servicing" every year ($90 + oil); it's been going well for 6 years under this regime. Another car (now sold) survived well with servicing every 2 years, but it was doing low miles/year. My Nissan does low miles/year, and is about to go out of the 3 year warranty and into the extended warranty period. Extended ("Free") warrranty requires continued dealer servicing at inflated prices, so I'll give that a miss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses!

I agree that nothing is free and you're obviously paying for it through the dealer service pricing. I usually just do synthetic oil and tire rotations every 10,000 miles on my current SUV. They run about $70 per oil change. So....I can get to the end of the warranty period with about $420 in oil changes and tire rotations.

Doing this service schedule with the dealer...it will cost $1,378 + tax + shop supplies (whatever that may be). I would get some items done like 4 alignments, couple of air cabin filters, fluid top off, free car wash and their multi-point inspection which I assume would come up with all sorts of things for me to fix and pay for.

Seems to be almost a wash when you factor in new tires. Just have to decide whether to make that drive every 4 months (30 minutes there....30 minutes back to work....30 minutes to get the car and then 30 minutes back home....so.....2 hours of driving every 4 months).

I certainly wouldn't take the car there after the warranty period as I have lost faith with non-warranty work by dealerships.

Again...thanks for the input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The prices don't seem too bad to me. I just wonder what is actually done during the $50 and $64 services, apart from rotating the tyres.
The $50 includes oil/filter, tire rotations, top off fluids, set tire pressure, car wash.

The $64 includes all of the above plus fuel system additive (which I assume is similar to the $5 bottle of additives you can buy at any auto parts store).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What synth. oil do you use? I like Castrol Edge and Total Quartz.
I try to get Mobile 1 when possible but I'm flexible but most places down here tend to use pennzoil platinum (i think)

I read that on the 2014 Sorento...they used Synthetic from factory. Anyone know if that is true. I asked the service director and he said no...all Kia's come with conventional or blended. Just curious...

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I try to get Mobile 1 when possible but I'm flexible but most places down here tend to use pennzoil platinum (i think).

I read that on the 2014 Sorento...they used Synthetic from factory. Anyone know if that is true. I asked the service director and he said no...all Kia's come with conventional or blended. Just curious...
I read that KIAs come from the factory with Total Quartz Synthetic, certainly KIA is mentioned on the "approved" list of the Total fact sheet. I've had various recommendations from KIA dealers about oil for our 2.0 petrol Cerato (Forte). Latest has been 10W-30 Caltex Havoline Premium Plus conventional; this has been OK, but I intend changing to Total 5W-30 Quartz synthetic, which has been excellent in my other cars. BTW, 30 Grade is a very common recommendation for most newer cars in Australia.

You mentioned Mobil 1; retail cost is $95 per 5 litre jug in the land of Oz. Yes, you read correctly $95! Conventional oils are about $35/jug while Total synth. is $50 direct from the dealer.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
I would never want to be bound to a single dealership like that. They will know they have you for good and can treat you any way they like, good or bad. Personally ive found my 2011 awd V6 to be very low maintenance as long as you treat it right. Usually I don't go to the dealer more than twice a year if that and they are very close. Most if not all of the smaller stuff they will charge you a fortune for can be done easily and for much less cost. If you don't mind the extra time and expense then do it because if you have a warranty issue at least you can say that they did all the required work.;)
If they are still using those kumho tires then I would say there is much better out there for the same cost.
Good Luck and congrats on the sweet knew ride..

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
What's your time worth?

I look at it this way...

I can do my own oil change in about 10 minutes for about $40. And that's with a factory oil filter and full synthetic oil of my choosing. If I had a dealer do it, it would (at a minimum) require me to drive it there, wait a couple of hours, then drive it home. It would also cost me about $60-80 and then I'd have to worry if they actually used synthetic at all or even put the correct grade of oil in. (My local dealer put "lowest bidder" bulk 5W-30 conventional oil in last time and swore up and down that was the "correct" oil...but I digress).

I can do a tire rotation myself with my own impact gun and a pair of floor jacks in 10-15 minutes if I'm loafing along. No trip to the dealer required. Out of pocket cost...practically zero.

The annual alignments are completely unnecessary.

The tune-ups are simply plug changes. Again, do-able at home by myself in a half hour loafing along.

Air and cabin filter changes can be done at home in minutes.

Fuel system cleaner? Really? Buy name brand fuel, change your air filter annually and if you still feel paranoid, throw a bottle of Techron in the tank once in a while instead. This is pure dealer profit.

3 visits to a dealer in a single year when I consider what my labor rate is easily exceeds the cost of a set of tires all by itself. I'm not seeing the value proposition here unless the vehicle owner can't or doesn't want to do simple maintenance on their car.

If the owner just doesn't like doing those things then sure...you're going to pay for that stuff anyway and you're going to blow those hours of your time at the dealer anyway...so why not get a "free" set of tires out of the deal?

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
On my previous vehicle (T), 2003, I had the dealer do all the oil changes over the ten years I owned it. Dealer recommended 5K mile change but I always changed it around 3k. Why? wife was a low mileage driver, 3-4k was about 1 yrs worth. :eek:. Dealer wanted to rotate tires @ 5k, but due to low mileage, 6K miles (2 years) I would have the tires rotated. He also gave us lifetime on tires, probably one of the few that took him up on it. Our favorite adviser noticed that the tires, although they had plenty of tread, that we had them on there for 5+ years. She enforced the lifetime tire warranty for us. Fortunately for us, they did not have factory "oem" tires, they were upgraded at no cost to us. Between dealer coupons and several of my complaints of the tec's not cleaning the oil off of the frame resulting in drips on my garage floor, cost was $20 for the change not counting the complimentary oil changes for the drips. Often, the servc tec's recommendations to me for additional service was answered with "Thanks for pointing that out to me" and I did the service myself, cabin filters, battery, air filters etc. The adviser was ok with that, winked at us and we were on our way. Thankfully, our vehicle was trouble fee the whole ten years, so no real issues/discussions with the dealer were necessary.

·
Registered
13 Kia Sorento LX AWD convenience pkg
8 Posts
I try to get Mobile 1 when possible but I'm flexible but most places down here tend to use pennzoil platinum (i think)

All Kia's come with conventional oil from factory. (not sure about cadenza yet).

Kia does not either recommend or discourage the use of synthetic oil.

Experience --- Certified Kia Service Writer

----------------------------------------------

also a respond to the main question. I would be interested in what the dealer is actually doing at the 15k / 30k / 45k mileage services. An alignment every 15k miles should not be needed. Seems rather expensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts