Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hesitating about buying a Kia Sedona 2020 or Toyota Sienna 2020, the price is roughly the same.

Both of the models are the base level, so the sliding doors are manual, etc.
The interior/exterior, equipments, it doesn't mean really much to me, but I want normal maintenance, good space and comfortable ride (oil, brakes,etc.)

I know Sienna have less equipments vs Sedona on the same price (like heated steering wheel, seats, etc.) but I don't base my decision on that.

I have road tested it and we were surprised how it rides.
We have to wait for testing the Sienna, the dealer doesn't have it yet, but they've ordered it for me.

I'm wondering, owners of Sedona, what is the reliability of your car?

Do you think this is a good long-term ownership?

Thinking to keep it around 7-10 years or more.
My RAV4 is 5 years old and I would keep it but, we are looking a new car to accomodate 3 childrens (in the future, less than 2 years)
Also both of the models are about to refresh, the price are really nice right now.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sedona SXL 8-Pax, 2012 BMW 335i (F30), 2005 Lexus RX330
123 Posts
I'm hesitating about buying a Kia Sedona 2020 or Toyota Sienna 2020, the price is roughly the same.

The interior/exterior, equipments, it doesn't mean really much to me, but I want normal maintenance, good space and comfortable ride (oil, brakes,etc.)

I know Sienna have less equipments vs Sedona on the same price (like heated steering wheel, seats, etc.) but I don't base my decision on that.

We have to wait for testing the Sienna, the dealer doesn't have it yet, but they've ordered it for me.

My RAV4 is 5 years old and I would keep it but, we are looking a new car to accomodate 3 childrens (in the future, less than 2 years)
Also both of the models are about to refresh, the price are really nice right now.
I have had my Sedona since late 2015 and it has been trouble free... I love it how it is much better quality than the Toyota Sienna. The Kia Sedona is such a undeservedly under-rated car/van... Most people make the mistake of over-looking it and easily dismissing it for the wrong reasons.

As you mention, a brand new Kia Sedona will be coming next year... Which will be an even better product, building on what it is great.

Fear not, get the Sedona, it's a newer van than the aging Sienna...

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SX Limited with Tech Package and Pursuit Remote Start New Beige/Beechwood Pearl
75 Posts
I have a 2015 Kia Sedona with only about 55,000 miles on it and I'm very satisfied for how well it has held up. The only problems I had were both original motors for sliding doors had to be replaced and the window washer motor was replaced. All work done at no cost under warranty. I would definitely buy another Kia someday.

Reactions: SedonaXL8

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sedona EX
21 Posts
In terms of reliability, we have been very happy with our 2016 although we haven’t racked up that many miles on it. I’m pretty sure the Sienna and the Sedona are ranked #1 and #2 in terms of reliability so if it were me, it would come down to how they drive and price. The Sedona is built on a newer architecture and drives (in my opinion) nicer than the Sienna. The Sienna of course has legendary Toyota reliability and from what I recall, you can move the second row seats way further back to create a huge amount of leg room for that second row of seats. Also, the Toyota will have better resale value.

When we were choosing between the Sienna, Odyssey and the Sedona, it really came down to us preferring how the Sedona rode and finding an absolute steal on a leftover model that was still on the lot. Honestly I’m a little surprised that the Sienna and the Sedona are the same price since I’ve seen some crazy deals recently for the Sedonas (it could be because youre looking at the base modes). It might be worth trying to find a 2019 leftover still on the lot that a dealer is willing to make a deal on since I’m guessing dealers right now are itching to get things sold. Anyway, hope that helps

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
152 Posts
TL;DR: Very reliable, best warranty, bargain pricing, and safety*

Safety in that I believe the Sedona reduces road rage; how? It's the least minivan-ish, meaning I... er, most men don't feel the need to compensate by driving like a Bimmer owner. Sienna? Opposite end of the spectrum. (Seriously. Just don a pair of mom jeans why doncha?). I say this coming from the sports car of minivans, the Mazda MPV. [The foregoing was humor, no diss or harsh on any demographic, group, person, reader, mod, or censor; thx.]

Main point: Buy a 2-yr old KIA, save thou$ands

Fer instance (I love telling this story): I paid $22k for my 2015 CPO w/20k miles. Stickered at ~$38k. Former lease, all service documented w/dealership, remainder of 5/10/100 warranty, delivered to my house from VT. 50k on the odometer now and van still looks new. Only issues have been (1) seat-rail, repaired at dealership and, (2), recently developed a rear-suspension "creak" upon stopping.

Rearranging, because I didn't realize question was re: base model:
Addendum: Oh, the base model:
2020 EX w/731 miles(?!) for $31k
Mmmm, pretty blue 2020 EX w/15k for $27k
2019 EX w/4k miles for $21k(?!)

A quick spin on cars[dot]com shows me
2018 SX-L w/93 mi (that's 93, not 93k) on the odo for $34k
2018 SX-L w/15k for $28k
2019 SX w/14k for $32k

So, using the first example, does a 20% discount (before negotiating) off an essentially new vehicle affect your reliability equation?

As for negotiating: I did all mine via email and setting alerts on cars dot com. Much easier than in person for us introverts (and no time spent waiting around the dealership playing stupid salesman tricks).

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX, 2019 Mercedes GLC300
58 Posts
Have 137,000 mi. on my 2015 SX with no problems. Still runs very strong and is much better looking than the Sienna IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you for answers, for the Canadian version, the LX version doesn't have the power sliding doors, I may expect a problem with the windshield washer fluid motor that breaks/leaks in the long term.

When I said the price was rougly the same, right now my RAV4's payout is 480$, the Sedona would be around 450$ and the Sienna, 508$.

We really liked the Sedona, the price, ride, specs, etc.

But, I have two questions,

1- on high speed, the handling is, somewhat weird, like ... floating ? Is it over-assisting problem ? I didn't notice when testing the Sorento
2- When accelerating, from stop, when the motor goes up to 3k rpm, it feels slow to move, like when we engage on 1st gear on manual gears or a turbo motor.

The consumer reports's Quebec version (Protégez-Vous) gives the best buy award for the Sedona with good reliability. Sienna is really good reliability.

The Sienna needs to ride reaaaally comfortable to beat the Sedona, haha.

But, to do a final decision, I have to test out the Sienna.
The dealership ordered one for me, I want to be fair and do a road test.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I didnt notice any floatiness at speed (went about up to 100mph, not much more that this id say... ) handles great and all... car brought us to florida and back to canada... twice basically drove itself I was behind the wheel 23, 24, 28, and 30 hours straight (last trip was longer because we towed our caravan too)... The seat is adjustable and pretty cosy for long drives, automatic doors, i dont recommend, Im happy to have saved like 25 bucks bi weekly by refusing my wife gets this...

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
152 Posts
Never noticed floatiness. For a full report re: long distance driving, comfor, and mpg, search my posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I’ve been wondering if it’s the hydraulic power steering, the SX version has EPS, might be the reason...

it’s when you go off the center of the steering wheel a bit, just before the car starts turning. I cannot express the feeling, it just feels a different handling vs RAV4/Sorento @ 60mph

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
225 Posts
1- on high speed, the handling is, somewhat weird, like ... floating ? Is it over-assisting problem ? I didn't notice when testing the Sorento
2- When accelerating, from stop, when the motor goes up to 3k rpm, it feels slow to move, like when we engage on 1st gear on manual gears or a turbo motor.
I did notice a bit of floatiness at higher highway speeds right after I changed out the original tires. Not to the point of being unsafe, but just less surefooted. That has gone away after the replacement tires were about 1/3 worn, so I would attribute that to the characteristics of the tires, not so much the vehicle handling itself. I'll pick a different - more performance oriented - tire the next time around, to see if the Sedona handles better with better tires.

Off the line acceleration is okay. The 3.3L V6 is definitely not as torquey as the 3.8L V6 in the previous gen Sedona. I love that big V6. Had it in a Veracruz and still have it in my Genesis sedan. I know Kia went to the 3.3L for fuel efficiency reasons, and it is considerably more so than the 3.8L, so I suppose it's a fair trade off.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona (2 of them)
40 Posts

If my experience is to be believed you can buy a used 2012 and get 7-10 years out of it no problem. I have two 2007s and a 2009 all with long miles and they're still cruising with no serious issues. My total mileage on the three is well over half a million miles.

These have been the best vehicle purchases I've ever made. Short of Kia's quality falling off a cliff since then you're going to be in great shape.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
152 Posts
I did notice a bit of floatiness at higher highway speeds right after I changed out the original tires.
I would add that steering effort changes with the driving mode. "Comfort" is much less firm/weighty/direct than the normal mode.

As for tires, I'm a Continental fan. The van rides on H-rated TrueContacts 235/60-18, and I think they're just fine for this application (UTQC 800 A A). In other applications (not sportscars but "sporty" sedans), I was happy with Z-rated Conti ExtremeContacts, and for fun I've considered putting them on the van or even plus-zero sizing with 255/55-R18

Agree with all points. Talk about floaty and disconnected: Sienna. Wife disliked the Odyssey (I forget why). But most importantly, YES, maybe the first vehicle where I didn't groan getting out of the car after 6-8 hours on the road. "Real easy on the bones" indeed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine hasnt burned oil, I got oil change with synthetic at a couple places (the dealership confessed they used a blend of synth/dyno)
So I stopped getting oil changes anywhere, tired of this lying , and I use 0w30 or 5w30, doesnt burn oil. I might be a bit too early to have GDI carbon buildup issues, I wouldnt say I dont worry about it, because its something I expect before 100k kilometre, considering kia history with the fortes.

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
225 Posts
About oil consumption and GDI Carbon build up, does it affect the V6?
Neither. IMHO the GDI carbon build-up shtick is a non-issue raised by folks trying to sell snake oil gadgets.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sedona LX
2 Posts
But, I have two questions,

The consumer reports's Quebec version (Protégez-Vous) gives the best buy award for the Sedona with good reliability. Sienna is really good reliability.

The Sienna needs to ride reaaaally comfortable to beat the Sedona, haha.

But, to do a final decision, I have to test out the Sienna.
The dealership ordered one for me, I want to be fair and do a road test.
I recently got a used 2017 LX. I agree on the steering -- some of it is that it's just a big vehicle, but I agree there is a bit of floating, or perhaps twitchiness, or something. I'm not a car guy, so hard to describe.

All that said, I'm getting used to the steering and feeling more precise with it every day. Also, it came with a new set of tires and I believe that what Volfy said may be correct: as the tires wear a bit, the handling is feeling more secure. (This could just be me getting used to driving it.)

Now, back to the original question: I think that at the same price for the same year vehicle, with the same amount of mileage, and similar features, I would have bought a Toyota. However, I paid thousands of dollars less for a Sedona with lower mileage, higher end features, and 2.5 years left of original factory warranty.

It's your call on what you want. Dollar for dollar, I felt the Sedona was a better deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts