Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 Rio5 LX+ and interested in installing an HID kit but a little confused in terms of whether or not I can install an H11 size instead of H11b which is the original OEM size..? For all the people who installed HIDs on their Rio5 Hatchbacks, did you install H11B or were you able to fit the H11?

Also, can anyone recommend a retailer where they purchased their HID kits from?
Also, did I need a relay harness for the Rio5/hatchback?

I tried searching other threads but couldn't find anything specific to this topic.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the response, I'll check it out. Do you know how these compare to the cheaper HID kits on eBay that go for ~$25?

Also, how do the lights look without the projectors?

I got my kit from ebay from a seller that myself and a few buddies buy from. It is cheap, fast shipping and we have never had issues with them. I have had mine installed for a year now. I am not using a relay harness for mine, they just plug into the stock connections and working great.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Wholesale-Xen...21068012&_sid=143693842&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,791 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure the H11 kits need to be soldered/altered for the Rio? The link you posted is for the Rondo and I thought with the Rio it's just plug and play. Can anyone else comment on their experience?

there is NO true H11b kit.
All of them are H11 with the connector for power source trimmed to fit the H11b electrical socket.
Since this is a very poor design all of us (at least majority) ended up with either splicing wires or soldering or whatnot.

Hence, get any H11 kit you like and have fun.

Look in Rondo/Carens, Sorento forums for details.
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carens-rondo-forum/49128-hid-5000-k-h11b-2007-rondo-2.html#post232634

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,791 Posts
H11 and H11b are same in terms of socket (how the light bulb is inserted to the reflector).
However, H11b has two sticking connectors that will lock in the power socket, while H11 needs to be plugged in via connector on the back of the light bulb.

That's it.

The problem is how you are going to supply power from the car to the HID ballast. Solder or not... splice or not... your choice. The thing is there is no adapter for H11b power socket as there is no room for any.
If you use relays - this does not help much either. You still need a trigger for the relay...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts