Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX V6 AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a used 2011 Sorento EX V6 with the AWD, and the vehicle didn't come with the manuals. I have a question about the AWD; is it active all the time or do we have to push the AWD button on the left side of the dash to activate it? My 2010 Ford Escape has that "intelligent AWD" where the onboard computer determines how much torque to send to the rear wheels when needed, not sure if the Sorento is doing the same thing or if the AWD needs to be turned on manually when needed. If it is like the one on the Escape, what does that AWD button do then?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
The AWD system is like your Escape, it is a "Smart" AWD. It only comes on as needed. Immediately as soon as it senses front wheel slippage.

The "AWD lock" button is to lock it in up to approx 25mph, usually not needed unless the going gets tough. As long as it's engaged, as your driving it will kick in by itself up to, and when dropped down below 25mph.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,525 Posts
you can download owners manual for free from KGIS. https://www.kiatechinfo.com/Index.asp - you need IE to use it.

the AWD drive is an in-house design, similar to your Escape, "under normal operating conditions is operates like 2WD, however, if the system determines that there is a need for the 4WD mode, the engine's driving power is distributed to all four wheels automatically without driver intervention."
4WD LOCK - this mode is used for climbing or descending sharp grades, off-road driving, driving on sandy and muddy roads, etc., to maximize traction.
This mode automatically begins to deactivate at speeds above 19 mph and is shifted to 4WD AUTO mode at speed above 25 mph. If the decelerates to speeds below 19 mph, however, the transfer mode is shifted into 4WD LOCK mode again"
(this is all from page 5/22 in the owner's manual).

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,006 Posts
i dont think this is the case for the sorento.. we are still using the Borg-Warner iTM3e same with the 2006-2012 santa-fe (as i have no info about 2013 awd system) the dynamax is only for the sportage in the kia line-up..
the Borg-Warner iTM3e splits 95:5 power ratio 95% front, 5% rear and has limited slip .. i tried sliding in the snow few times, making it slide, (in normal awd mode) it puts brakes on to the wheel that is slipping/spinning.. thus makes your suv straight again.. if we had that dynamax heck sorento should have been able to do what that sportage did on that video.. (starting on a hill climb with ice on Front left & Rear left wheels and pavement on the right no problems) though i have no complaints about that as the advantage of Borg-Warner iTM3e awd system can split 50/50 power on the push of the button when needed.. as i have read it was also used on some porsche

some infos i have read

http://www.borgwarner.com/en/News/PressReleases/BWNews/2007-04-17_BorgWarnerWins2007PaceAwards.pdf
Four-wheel drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BorgWarner's Innovative All-Wheel Drive Technology Powers New Porsche Sports Car
Santa Fe's All Wheel Drive System Information Here - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

on the other hand, i guess some of the sorento owners here have experienced this "braking on the wheel affected" when one tire spins on our awd system.. i have tried accelerating turning on 35-40km/hr speeds before on ice and when the rear left spins and turns sideways, the rear left wheel stops spinning and corrects the angle of the sorento of some sort.. the sorento would just slow down almost feels like its stopping then the esc blinks...

anyway, am not an expert, just based on my experience.. an expert and professional should chime in..

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
on the other hand, i guess some of the sorento owners here have experienced this "braking on the wheel affected" when one tire spins on our awd system.. i have tried accelerating turning on 35-40km/hr speeds before on ice and when the rear left spins and turns sideways, the rear left wheel stops spinning and corrects the angle of the sorento of some sort.. the sorento would just slow down almost feels like its stopping then the esc blinks...
anyway, am not an expert, just based on my experience.. an expert and professional should chime in..
But with the esc off you can avoid this right? Or is this the TC system that is doing this?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
yeah i remember that, but in my awd, i tried accelerating the ice, now what happens with esc of and esc on (this is based on esperience when i was on a pure icy corners.. trying to have fun, im not suggesting same..)

normal- esc on
accelerated, wheel spin, reacts right away... over steer corrected slows down almost to full halt

esc-off
accelerate, whell spin, moves a little traction control reacts late.. (reaction same with esc on)

4wd on, accelerates as expected, whole sorento turned sideways. if turning too fast

but still both situations, it applies brakes to whichever wheels are spinning..

anyway, dynamax is only for sportage, sorento does not have that option... look under neath a 2011-2012 santa fe awd and sorento 2011-2012, they have same differential at rear, while the sportage with dynamax is totally different..

the sorento has to slip first before it reacts.. unlike the dynamax its pro-active.. monitored and actually anticipates action to be taken before it happens..

in this article it was also nicely explained... some best awd, one of them is dynamax in sportage..
All-wheel Drive

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
the sorento has to slip first before it reacts.. unlike the dynamax its pro-active.. monitored and actually anticipates action to be taken before it happens..

in this article it was also nicely explained... some best awd, one of them is dynamax in sportage..
All-wheel Drive
I try to get it to slip some times by hammering the gas down but even with the v6 I rarely get any slip at all. The system may not anticipate slip but it reacts super quickly ive found. As ive smoked all kinds of cars and 4wd trucks in slick road conditions from standstill, of course i have new tires and not those inferior stock ones.:D

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I try to get it to slip some times by hammering the gas down but even with the v6 I rarely get any slip at all. The system may not anticipate slip but it reacts super quickly ive found. As ive smoked all kinds of cars and 4wd trucks in slick road conditions from standstill, of course i have new tires and not those inferior stock ones.:D
yeah me too.. it reacts right away if esc is on (which is normally on) have you tried on a dead start stepping on the gas with ice? and to think i have nokian tires which is good, its just that the v6 we have is too powerful to spin it.. well it would be different story if we have studded tires lol..

i rarely slip on normal winter driving, i just tried the maximum capabilities it has.. which is really good the, awd corrects the over steer right away... when the sorento tries to fish tail..

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't see how dynamax is any different from itm3e. Its described operation is exactly identical. Maybe the logic controlling it is superior, but based on that video I don't know how anyone could conclude that dynamax is superior to itm3e.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
can educate us more about this too? or anybody.. what i read and see is what i get usually.. further explanation is great.. i really want to learn.. anyway.. i dont think the sorento can climb up that patch of ice on one side and the pavement on the other without slipping, stopping because esc reacts right away.. i think dynamax is similar to acura's sh-awd? it will continue climbing up straight like nothing... unless we turn on 4wd

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX V6 AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies and the links for the manual(s); I was able to download them which is better than paying for a new set.
I'll have to test the AWD system to see how well it actually works.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
can educate us more about this too? or anybody.. what i read and see is what i get usually.. further explanation is great.. i really want to learn.. anyway.. i dont think the sorento can climb up that patch of ice on one side and the pavement on the other without slipping, stopping because esc reacts right away.. i think dynamax is similar to acura's sh-awd? it will continue climbing up straight like nothing... unless we turn on 4wd
Sometimes it's better to turn off the ESC (traction control), to regain traction.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
How well the AWD system works is also dependent on the quality of the tires. The factory tires are OK for very LIGHT snow and all season use, but I wouldn't depend on them if you're off in the mud or in more than an inch or two of snow. If you NEED AWD in the winter, I'd invest in some cheap rims and a set of winter tires. That will dramatically improve things.

Best,

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't see how it could be based on that video linked. There is no indication that it can shuttle torque side to side like SH-AWD or Mitsubishi's S-AWC, and no indication of an actual LSD on either the front or rear axle. What it *may* be have is much tighter integration with the ESC system than the Borg Warner iTM3e system. If this is the case dynamax may be able to intelligently send torque to the front and rear axle, while braking spinning wheels and *not* cutting the throttle too much. That would be able to get it up an icy side like in the video. The sportage is also many hundreds of pounds less than the Sorento, which will help getting up something like that as well.

I'd love to hear more about it, and see a side by side comparison. If the car can get the traction logic done well enough in theory all one needs (in a non robust capacity) is an ability to link the front and rear axles, and to brake individual wheels. If you are doing something like slogging around in nasty terrain these types of systems probably won't cut it. They overheat and you'll kill your brakes fairly quickly.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
How well the AWD system works is also dependent on the quality of the tires. The factory tires are OK for very LIGHT snow and all season use, but I wouldn't depend on them if you're off in the mud or in more than an inch or two of snow. If you NEED AWD in the winter, I'd invest in some cheap rims and a set of winter tires. That will dramatically improve things.

Best,
So True Sauron! ;)

How can a car company that designs a decent AWD system put crappy run of the mill highway A/S tires on it? :rolleyes: It's like they willingly chose even the worst of that A/S lot!

After having my 3rd AWD Hyundai vehicle, with less traction in any weather then previously, I was questioning the ability of my vehicle? Until I got a decent set of tires. What would a "newbie" to AWD think?

My mind is at ease now :cool:

·
Registered
Sorento SX-V6 AWD
411 Posts
AWD sells. Not the actual AWD system, mind you. Just the acronym. Very few people know what it is or how it works. They just know it says AWD on the back, and the commercials show it safely delivering kittens to orphanages in snowstorms, therefore AWD is the end-all be-all for safe features. Another thing that sells is MPG numbers. One of the biggest things impacting MPG is the amount of traction your tires get. The Kumhos on the sorento are LRR rated, or Low Rolling Resistance. That means that the tread blocks are close together and the compound is hard, reducing traction. However, it also means that it takes less energy to spin them, thus the vehicle gets another few percentage points better MPG. Case in point, look on here for the number of threads and the vehemence of the poster on two different subjects. First, look for 'mileage is bad' then look for 'AWD doesn't work well'.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
So True Sauron! ;)

How can a car company that designs a decent AWD system put crappy run of the mill highway A/S tires on it? :rolleyes: It's like they willingly chose even the worst of that A/S lot!

After having my 3rd AWD Hyundai vehicle, with less traction in any weather then previously, I was questioning the ability of my vehicle? Until I got a decent set of tires. What would a "newbie" to AWD think?

My mind is at ease now :cool:
A quick visit to tirerack.com shows that you can get 17" alloy rims + blizzak snow tires + TPMS sensors mounted, balanced, and delivered to your door for about $1200. I won't need them this year, but I'll definitely buy a set for next winter since I'll be moving back to a more rural area in a few months.

Best,

·
Registered
Sorento SX-V6 AWD
411 Posts
Snow tires are definitely the single biggest improvement you can make for the snow. A few years back we had a big snowstorm, and I had left my truck at the office. My wife had to drive me in, in a front wheel drive minivan, that had snow tires. I then had the joy of telling my coworkers on the phone, as they called in to say that their SUVs couln't make it out of their parking spots, that my we took the minivan that day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.