Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
09 Rondo lx 4 cyl 2008 Corolla,2001 Taurus,1960 Chrysler imperial,1967 Chrysler imperial
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just turned 65,000 miles on my Rondo and to date have had very little trouble.
There has been a spell of hot and humid weather here in Minnesota the last week or so, which brings up my question for fellow Rondo owners.
Does the a/c in your Rondo keep you cool?
Since new that has been the one complaint with my Rondo.
Had it checked at the dealer last year , who told me the charge of freon was correct, and I needed to be going at least 40 mph with the unit on recirculate for it to be effective.
I know our 2001 Taurus, and 2008 Corolla both have a/c that is WAY cooler than my Rondo's .
My brother stopped by this week with his 2013 Soul with 1.6 and we went for a ride in it. Even though his Soul is black with black interior and it was sunny midday ,I was ready to reach over to turn his a/c down, something I have never experienced with my Rondo. Any thoughts ? :(

·
Registered
'08 Kia Rondo LX V-6 5seat, '01 Honda Odyssey EX, '01 Mazda Miata, '95 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
147 Posts
Ours is a gold '08 Rondo with rather deeply tinted windows (aftermarket) in the rear area and second row and somewhat tinted at the driver/passenger level. Currently has 52k miles and A/C system has little difficulty in cooling the interior down. Have you had the charge checked this year? My 1995 Mercury was alright last year but needed some R-134 put in once things heated up earlier this month.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Our 2008 does a good job keeping us cool, the A/C works great.

But don't you think it's odd that your dealership mentioned 40 mph? That is odd, because you think it would depend on the engine RPMs not the speed (also, your RPM could vary depending what gear the car is in when it's going 40 mph, because that could be either gear).

Now I think our compressors function by having a clutch that engages. So, I wonder if your compressor works, but the compressor clutch is slipping and so the compressor is not spun enough?

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
Now, after cleaning the coils/evaporator it works much better. Before that it took a while to start cooling and was not so efficient.

However, it is a big car (volume) and it takes a while to cool it down.
Even if your charge is good, make sure the drain is working, and check the cabin filter.
Those two things will kill the A/C.

On a side not - I think the evaporator size is too small for this car.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts

·
Registered
09 Rondo lx 4 cyl 2008 Corolla,2001 Taurus,1960 Chrysler imperial,1967 Chrysler imperial
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my cabin air filter is new, the condenser coils are clean, at least looking at them visually and giving them a good wash with the car wash wand. Ieven wrapped some of the ac lines under the hood with the split foam pipe insulation from Lowes(worked great) Left work this afternoon with a very un- Minnesota temp of 96 showing on a local bank thermometer. After a 13 mile drive home I can honestly say when I climbed out of my Rondo ,there wasn't much difference between the outside air ,and the inside of the Rondo. One of those pointed dial thermometers stuck in the dash vent showed a temp of 45, maybe 43 . It was cool, but just didn't cool the interior. I am going to start looking for a reputable local a/c shop to get a second opinion, vs the dealer.

·
Registered
'08 Kia Rondo LX V-6 5seat, '01 Honda Odyssey EX, '01 Mazda Miata, '95 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
147 Posts
Are all your vents switched to open (flowing air) position? Most air conditioner systems are thought to be in good shape if their output at the vent is somewhere around 50 degrees Fahrenheit - or around 11 degrees Celsius.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts