Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Bought a non running 05 2.4l from an auction. Timing belt was missing teeth in multiple places, 3-4 teeth in some places. I turned the crank by hand and the camshaft timing marks lined up perfectly. What I did not notice was where the crank sensor blade was, if it was in the proper location. now the car cranks and I have spark but it still has no fuel which is another topic.

I shot fuel into the intake and it spit a fireball back at me. Leading me to believe that it is in fact out of time or I have some bent valves. I will compression test today and get back on that.

Question is this, how do I bring the engine back in time if it has slipped out. In other words how do I get the crankshaft back in time with the camshafts.
Is the only way to do that by removing the head??

any help is appreciated

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Hello Again..
I see you started another thread...
If you have 3~4 teeth missing on the old belt you may also have bent/broken valves
and/or damaged pistons. After replacing the TB I would do a compression test to see if you still have a usable engine.

I believe you have access to kiatechinfo and have been through out the site...
If you use the select table function and select REPLACE and then timing belt if you select remove (and install) it will show you where the timing marks should be...
Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dave thanks again for responding to me.

I picked up a compression tester this morning and I will be attacking that in a few minutes.

Hoping for the best expecting the worst. or at worst no piston damage maybe only valve damage. A very good friend of mine is a 30 year mechanic and race engine builder but he lives in FL. I gave him a call last night and he had said that in his experience. The Kia valve stems are very thin a weak and that more times then not he piston is undamaged because the valve bends so easily. Hopefully this is my case.

I started a new thread on this one since it felt like a different issue. Dont know if that was wrong or not.

Dave, any input on getting it back in time if I am lucky enough to have no damage to the heads. I think it might be out because the CAS blade is not on its mark when the camshaft sprockets are.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
The valves DO bend and also break off. A minor bend may cause the valve to stick and not close fully.. A compression check will show if the valves are closing properly. (and will probably indicate "if" they are bent.
The valves have also broken off and have gone down through the top of the pistons on this engine when the pistons came back up.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts