Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened to me four times now. Twice today. I will get in my Sorento, hit the start button, engine cranks but doesnt start and it will beep outside and inside telling me that it has lost detection of the key. Only thing is I'm sitting in the damn thing with the key in my hand.

It will crank, beep inside and out and continue to crank all day long if I allowed it to.

Push the button again to turn everything off, try again and it works fine.

Very strange. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue before. I may switch keys to see it that helps any.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
could it be battery of the fob?
try putting it in the slot in your console see if it works right away if it does could be battery...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
try putting it in the slot in your console see if it works right away if it does could be battery...
That's what i'm thinking too. It happens all at once. Push the button and instantly the audible beep happens and it cranks until I hit the button again. After that it's all fine. I think I might hit the button a little quick.

I've gotten so used to the Push button now I'm not even in the thing for 2 seconds before I crank it up

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
OH WAIT... remeber the brake interlock safety switch issues some sorentos have? try depressing the brakes lightly only and then try with depressing it deeper.. see if there's changes then putting the fob in the slot and off the slot in the mid console.. thats what i can think for now..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH WAIT... remeber the brake interlock safety switch issues some sorentos have? try depressing the brakes lightly only and then try with depressing it deeper.. see if there's changes then putting the fob in the slot and off the slot in the mid console.. thats what i can think for now..
There ya go. I knew it might be something like that! I'll try that tomorow as long as my Sorento doesn't blow away overnight or a tree comes down on it...:huh:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
This right here...helped out another guy with the similar issue and also my wife as she was always hammering on the brake pedal to start it...just rest your foot on it, works every time.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
583 Posts
Ken, do we have the key slot in our SX's? I don't seem to notice it.
It would be of help to know in case I need to insert it.

Picture please :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This right here...helped out another guy with the similar issue and also my wife as she was always hammering on the brake pedal to start it...just rest your foot on it, works every time.
Well unfortunately it didn't make a difference. It never did it all day. I guess my Sorento is a girl.

Ken, do we have the key slot in our SX's? I don't seem to notice it.
It would be of help to know in case I need to insert it.

Picture please :)
It is right in the centre console. Open it up and you can't miss it unless its full of stuff

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
also.. i had some accessories plugged in to the 2- 12 volt slot.. i was wondering during key take-over from remote starter the sorento beeps.. i have the keys on my hand.. after i removed the cellphone charger, the key-fob worked normal again..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nearly caught it in the act on camera. Look at the gauge cluster the split second the video starts. It literally stopped cranking as I hit record.

I also meant to say it cranked for about 10-15 seconds before it *Stopped* on its own

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
woahh.. ignition problem? did dealership say anything?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
woahh.. ignition problem? did dealership say anything?
I honestly don't even know what to do at this point. Im going to have to start going to a different dealership since my local one is garbage.

The only issue is that this problem is so intermittent its hard to duplicate. A dealership at this point wont help.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
155 Posts
I honestly don't even know what to do at this point. Im going to have to start going to a different dealership since my local one is garbage.

The only issue is that this problem is so intermittent its hard to duplicate. A dealership at this point wont help.
My '13 Forte SX P2S also started doing the same thing. I believe its completely related to brake pedal safety switch or module. If I am too quick to start or pedal not depressed to a certain level, a false starts begins until cancelled. It's only happens 2 or three times but this could be a sign of impending total failure as it is intermittent as you say.

Find a respectable dealer that is not a hybridized or harmonized ex-GM dealer and get to know the service manager. For now I'm keeping an eye but if you follow through, keep us posted. I smell a TSB around the corner over this - if there isn't one already buried somewhere.

Good luck

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My '13 Forte SX P2S also started doing the same thing. I believe its completely related to brake pedal safety switch or module. If I am too quick to start or pedal not depressed to a certain level, a false starts begins until cancelled. It's only happens 2 or three times but this could be a sign of impending total failure as it is intermittent as you say.

Find a respectable dealer that is not a hybridized or harmonized ex-GM dealer and get to know the service manager. For now I'm keeping an eye but if you follow through, keep us posted. I smell a TSB around the corner over this - if there isn't one already buried somewhere.

Good luck
That's almost exactly what I am dealing with. I am too quick to start it, this happens. But not all the time. I am not convinced it's related to the brake pedal switch aswell.

Thanks for the reply and I will keep you all updated. I might give Kia a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
its a replacement no tsb actually happened to my friend already

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
the switch; brake interlock safety switch i believe..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
I read about this. I ended up having this issue. Well... I actually had a perfect storm. Last weekend my battery was dying, so that was preventing the car from starting. Then, I would have intermittent times when the car still wouldn't start using the push button.

Although I could start the car with my remote start.

The brake on my Sorento felt like it was harder to press in, when this was happening also.

I ended up taking the car into the dealership. They replaced the brake/interlock switch and it is all better.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
I just read your original post though. On my car, the brake interlock issue won't cause the car to turn over a little, but not start. The symptom would be, the car will act like you aren't even pressing the brake. IE.. it just switches to accessory, etc and doesn't even try to start.

It sounds to me like you have something else going on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problem Here

I just had the exact same problem occur in my wifes 2011 Kia Sorento EX.

We depress the brake, click start, the engine makes 1 revolution then there is a abnormal beep, and the Immobilizer Light and Malfunction Light are both illuminated.

The battery is fine, we recently replaced the key fob battery as well.

I tried bypassing the brake switch issue by starting the kar without depressing the brake by holding the start button down, but after it begins to turn over it stops just as before.

I've tried taking it in and out of gear, depressing the brake with varying degrees of pressure, etc. I also tested all of the fuses and they are good.

And of course it's Sunday... Hope to hear back with any more ideas.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts