Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX AWD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2019 sportage EX. Have had it for just over 2 months has 1300 miles on it. Twice, a few weeks apart, I have gotten in the car, put my foot on the break and hit start. The car...grinds(?) for several seconds before turning on, it's like you would expect when it's negative degrees outside, except it has the sound of full power behind it not the slow, low sound that comes with the cold. It did eventually start both times, but, I'm concerned with the hesitation given it only has 1300 miles on it. I cannot find any connection between the two times except it was sitting in my work parking lot. It has just under half a tank of gas so that shouldn't be an issue. Only 1300 miles and less than 3 months if driving so it isn't due for an oil change.

Anyone have this issue or any thoughts on a cause and/or if I should worry/get it checked out?

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
811 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my Push Start in 3 years. Definitely have your dealer look at and DOCUMENT the problem at your first oil change.
I had my first oil change at 5,000 as well as a few after that. I now do every 6,000. 42,000 miles and 3 years without a single problem!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Its well known here but has only been reported a few times. Fortunately the fix is insanely easy - just press and hold the starter button instead of punching it.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX AWD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its well known here but has only been reported a few times. Fortunately the fix is insanely easy - just press and hold the starter button instead of punching it.
ok! So i would hold until the car actually starts?
I'll also report it with my first oil change so it's documented just in case.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just press it - starter disengagement is now automatic so you can't hold it too long. I guess I press mine for about 1 second. I believe the problem is when you punch/release the button the starting algorithm sometimes does not fully load so fuel delivery is delayed. Its an odd little quirk but I'm just finishing a year of pressing the start button without a single delayed start where before I tried this I was getting extended cranking every few days when just stabbing and releasing it.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX AWD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just press it - starter disengagement is now automatic so you can't hold it too long. I guess I press mine for about 1 second. I believe the problem is when you punch/release the button the starting algorithm sometimes does not fully load so fuel delivery is delayed. Its an odd little quirk but I'm just finishing a year of pressing the start button without a single delayed start where before I tried this I was getting extended cranking every few days when just stabbing and releasing it.
Ok, I understand, it just needs to be a full push instead of a very brief tap. I'll do that from now and report back if I have any further issues. Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX AWD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well a month + later and I have been making sure to do a full pushs to start. No issues until yesterday. Yesterday morning it completely failed to start with a full push. It sounded like it wss going to but then did nothing.

Today it did the excessive cranking after sitting all day. It was a good 3 full second before it turned on. Just under 2k on it now.

Think I should probably take it in to be checked out, although I'm not sure how you diagnose an intermittent problem like this?

Also considering changing gas brands to see if that is a factor although I go to the same gas station most of the time so I would think if that were an issue it would be a bit more constant?

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX AWD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took my Sportage into the dealership Monday night. First of all. Horrible service. They were suppose to look at it first thing Tuesday morning. (they wanted it to sit over night to see if they could replicate the problem, which I also provided them a video of).
Monday at 4:30pm had still not received a call (mind you I'm in a rental that Kia says they will only cover the cost of it if turns out to be a warranty issue, what could cause a problem with a car starting at 2300 miles that is NOT a warranty issue, I have no idea). I called about 445 and was on hold for 10+ minutes only to be told someone would have to call me back at nearly 6pm, a woman called back (who was perfectly pleasant) to basically tell me she couldn't tell me anything because the person I gave my car to on Monday wasn't there.

I agreed, because what choice did I have a 6pm when they close at 6pm. She promised someone would call me today. So, at 5:15pm again, after hearing from no one today. I called, and told them I was pretty put off that no one could be bothered to keep me updated, or even call me at all without prompting. The guy basically made excuses that he was off yesterday. They of course cannot replicate the problem. They said they try to start it, it's fine, let it sit for 4 hours and try again and it's fine. It hasn't thrown any codes for them to see, so they have no idea.

I said "so what you are saying is you want to keep it a few more days to see if you can get it to replicate the issue" his response was "If that's what you want us to do" ... ... ... no, I want you to give me back my brand new car that has trouble starting so I can continue to worry every time I go to start it that it isn't going to start. I mean seriously.

I said, well, you can see that it has an issue in the video, correct? and you would agree with me that this is not normal behavior for a car with less than 3k miles on it that I've had for 4 months, correct? He of course agreed.

seriously. Do a little actual mechanical work beyond looking for codes and checking the battery. Honest to goodness. I feel like I need to call them up and asked them if they have checked x,y, and z that can cause excessive cranking. I did call them back and instructed them to drive it for 20 minutes in stop and go traffic in the morning, let it sit for 8 hours undisturbed and than try to start it at the end of the day tomorrow. We will see if I hear from them before 6pm tomorrow.

Part of me wants to make them keep it until they figure out the problem regardless of how long that is. The other part wants to take it back and take it to a different dealership. I am so incredibly frustrated with their seeming lack of effort of the obvious lack of communication. I did tell them that I expect to be updated on their progress.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,803 Posts
Giving you the rental on condition of their findings is BS - they have to make the call up front.

In addition, the diagnostics could take forever with their lack of expertise, with the risk that you foot the bill for a lengthy rental term.

You need to get in touch with Kia Corp.

PS. Could you post a link to the video?

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX AWD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's funny, I called a friend after I talk to them and she said the same thing, go straight to the top. I have no issue doing that but how would I go about doing that?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,803 Posts
That's funny, I called a friend after I talk to them and she said the same thing, go straight to the top. I have no issue doing that but how would I go about doing that?
Call and insist on speaking with the service manager and let him know how dissatified you are and that if cannot offer a more acceptable solution you intend addressing it with Kia Corp.

Get his email address and start creating a written trial of the issue with the dealership.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Its not just a KIA thing either - we also have an Odyssey and the same thing has been reported over there. My 'fix' worked for that owner as it did for me but this one here seems to really have a bad case of it. It would be easier if the starter did not crank the engine but it does, which rules out many avenues of interest, such as the start switch, battery, starter, starter relay, etc. Now we should be looking for what is missing on the starting cycle; fuel or ignition. I think its the fuel that is not getting turned on but it could be the ignition or even both.
Whatever, it is an ECU programming problem and it will probably take a flash to fix it.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX AWD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I uploaded it to youtube. It's a little hard to hear and blurry for some reason and forgive the load radio commercial at the end. You can sort of see the stirring wheel shaking.

·
Super Moderator
9,803 Posts
If I were you I'd keep the phone ready to capture a better video than that to support your case.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts