Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Sorento SX --

We have been having intermittent problems starting our Sorento with push button start. It has been going on for several months.

Description of what happens: 1) Car in park, depress brake pedal, push button to start.
2) Everything in the car starts up EXCEPT the engine. There are no sounds of engine turnover. Car appears to be completely on except the actual engine doesn't start.

We can usually get it started using a brake bypass method (shut everything off from previous attempts to start -- I even open and close the door since our car's auxilliary stuff runs even after we shut off the engine until we open the door -- and WITHOUT putting your foot on the brake, tap the start button and a yellow symbol will appear on the dash on the left. Then press and hold the start button -- for what seems like a very long time -- and it will start.

We called the dealership and they told us to test our key fobs the next time this happened (to make sure there wasn't a problem with the battery in the fobs) by pressing the actual key fob to the start button (how you start the car when your fob battery is weak). This made absolutely no difference. When the car is doing this we have tried all of our key fobs and this isn't the problem.

The last time it happened (on the weekend, of course) we couldn't get it started for over a day. After I finally got it started, I pulled it out of the garage in case we had to have it towed. The following Monday (it started okay that morning), we took it to our local dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. (No code.) They kept it over night and kept testing it and couldn't duplicate the problem.

Three days after getting it back from the dealership it wouldn't start again, behaving exactly as described for previous failures. We had to use the bypass method of starting it to get it going.

When I google this problem, I find reports of this happening in prior years, but not in the 2015 model. I suspect we have a faulty brake switch, but I can't prove it and the dealership isn't going to proactively change it out until they have definitive diagnosis.

Any of you had this problem?

I have links to other forum posts on this for earlier model years and a youtube video and a link about a recall on this issue (but dealership acts like they never heard of this happening) but this user forum won't let me post them since it is my first post here.

·
Registered
'15 SX, '19 Stinger GT2 AWD
1,106 Posts
Try to observe whether the brake lights are illuminated when it fails. If not, it's the switch.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2011
3 Posts
I'm having this very problem right now with my 2011 Sorento. Same exact thing. Dealer cannot duplicate the issue and thus does not know what to fix. They have, however, replaced the brake switch for free and I still have the intermittent problem. I have a new starter and a new battery, also. So those cannot be the culprits. I am at a loss as to what to do and Kia is zero help around here. I'm trying another dealer tomorrow just to see what they know, if anything. The longest I have been stranded is one hour before it decides to start up again. Sometimes it is five minutes.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ksheffield16, I believe there was a recall for the 2011 Sorento for this problem. I wonder if your car was part of that recall and if it was ever fixed. Here's some info about it:

Recall Number
13V114000
Recall Date
04/01/2013
Component
SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:SWITCHES:BRAKE LIGHT
Summary
Kia Motors Corporation (Kia) is recalling certain model year 2007-2010 Rondo, model year 2007-2011 Sedona, Sorento and Sportage, model year 2010-2011 Soul, model year 2008-2011 Optima, model year 2010 Forte, model year 2007-2009 Amanti, and model year 2009 Borrego vehicles. Originally, in April 2013, Kia recalled 623,658 model year 2007-2010 Rondo and Sportage, model year 2007-2011 Sorento, model year 2007 Sedona, model year 2010-2011 Soul, and model year 2011 Optima vehicles. In September 2013, Kia informed the agency that it was adding an additional 356,719 vehicles to this campaign. The total number of vehicles being recalled is now 980,377. In the affected vehicles, the stop lamp switch may malfunction. A malfunctioning stop lamp switch may cause the brake lights to not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed or may cause an inability to deactivate the cruise control by depressing the brake pedal. Additionally, a malfunctioning stop lamp switch may also result in intermittent operation of the push-button start feature, affect the operation of the brake-transmission shift interlock feature preventing the shifter from being moved out of the PARK position and cause the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) malfunction light to illuminate.
Consequence
Failure to illuminate the stop lamps during braking or inability to disengage the cruise control could increase the risk of a crash. Additionally, when the ignition is in the 'ON' position, the transmission shifter may be able to be moved out of PARK without first applying the brake. This may lead to unintentional movement of the car which may increase the risk of a crash.
What Owners Should Do
Kia will send an interim notification to owners in May 2013. When parts are available, owners will receive a second notification and dealers will replace the stop lamp switch, free of charge. Owners may contact Kia at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's recall campaign number is SC098.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I had to get mine towed from home for that very reason, and they replaced it at the dealer.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you ever get any sort of resolution to this issue? I have a 2014 Kia Sorento with the same issue.
Sorry to say that we did not. We haven't had it back to the dealer though and it only happens every once in a while. We have to do the manual override (which has worked every time, thankfully) or we wait a little bit and try to start it normally and it works.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Did you ever confirm that the brake lights were (or were not) coming on when you have the issue?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
Did you ever get any sort of resolution to this issue? I have a 2014 Kia Sorento with the same issue.
Funny you brought this old post up as coincidentally I was going to ask the same thing or start searching today. Over the last month, I think last night was the third time my wife had told me this was happening. The bad was until last night, every time I went to check into it, the car started fine. Not knowing about the manual override, I tried to start the car maybe 30 times with a combo of pressing and depressing the brake, engaging car from N to P, and opening the door all while watching volts (has newer battery). In the middle of those 30 tries, I did get it to start twice. then finally at the end it started a consistent 5 or 6 times. I will check the brake lights tonight to see if part of the problem but this morning it was fine again. Mine is 2014 as well (roughly 70k miles on it). Looks like I need to figure out this manual override just in case in does it somewhere else outside our garage

I have a feeling mine is not the brake switch as when you do this you don't hear the relay click when you do not press the brake. On mine I can hear the relay under the hood click when brake is pressed in. Like I mentioned above I have replace the battery in the last year but possible it bad I guess, or possibly bad starter or open to any other suggestions as well

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
The manual override is to press and hold the start/stop button for 10 seconds or more until the engine starts. It is designed for those situations where the system can't see the brake pedal depressed (fuse is blown or pedal switch is faulty).

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
Yeah still having the issue here. Mine is definitely not the brake switch or battery but that is as far as I have gotten. It's so random when it does it that its hard to track down. I was going to test if a signal is sent to the starter next but I need it to happen at home, which 90% of the time it's when I am out and about. Two days ago at work it wouldn't start for about 5 tries then magically its fine and has been the rest of the week and probably will be for a few more weeks until it does it again. Frustrating but not the point of wanting to get rid of the car but the wife did bring that up when it did it the last time. Between this and the AWD coupler (which is also just a annoyance) I can see us not keeping the car as long as we expected to

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
547 Posts
The center dash area indicated if something is not right to allow starting when it doesn't. EG Fob not in the car, brake not press and much more. There is not indication of any of this diagnostics being consulted above or even noted. Hence all the above is meaningless.

·
Registered
2014 KIA SORENTO
1 Posts
I feel your pain. My 2014 KIA SORENTO started with this same issue sometime in 2016. I reported when I would take my car in for service or just to check out the problem. Each time they couldn't find anything wrong. Then in 2017 the issue started escalating and was happening several times a month. Again I would take it to the dealer and nothing. I had several recordings on my cell phone and showed them. I even gave them a thumb drive of the recordings.

One Sunday, I was sitting for over an hour in a hot car waiting for a tow truck. When he arrived, he told me that it was my push button start. He said it was not isolated to KIA; but, all the models with push buttons where having problems.

The dealership told me to put the vehicle in NEUTRAL and it will start. It worked. There is something in the instruction manual for this also.

Several months later with growing frustration, my KIA did it while there. Guess what, it was a problem with the push button. The tow driver was right. Of course, the dealer didn't believe me. They replaced the part sometime in October 2017. All was going well.

Here I am, less than 1 year after they replaced something with the push button and I am having the same problem again.

I am going in requesting a Service Technician from the KIA corporate office.

I will keep you posted if I get positive news.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
547 Posts
You were saying its the actual button last time?

When it won't work was any message displayed on the dash as to why it didn't start. If the switch is working something is displayed. EG Brake no pressed etc, Key or immobilizer indication but not nothing.

Only way I can see its nothing is what was said before. The actual Start switch is defective or other input circuit connected to it.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
The center dash area indicated if something is not right to allow starting when it doesn't. EG Fob not in the car, brake not press and much more. There is not indication of any of this diagnostics being consulted above or even noted. Hence all the above is meaningless.
Not sure if in regards to my post or not but in my case there is no message of any kind. No battery fault, no key fob fault, no press the brake fault. Basically the accessories all come on as normal for that split second then I hear a relay click under the hood. I hear this click with each time I press the button to start it (foot on brake) but that is about it. It doesn't try to crank The click is tied to the press of the button so not sure it would be the button on mine (but who knows). I need to record it next time it happens at home. When it does happen I can duplicate it over and over (say 30 times) and in that time I have checked for messages, brake lights working, shifter is indeed fully in park or neutral, hold start button for 15 seconds (to override brake) and just get the click. Tends to not happen at home so havent had tool or volt meter on me (or the wife doesnt have them) to check signal getting to starter. Then on the 31st time it will start and its good for the week (getting to be days now though). It does seem to act like the car isnt in park but I will pull it into neutral and try several times, as well as put into park very firmly with still no starting result but there is no message about this either

Weird thing is, and I am not sure coincidence or not, out of the 20 times it has done this, twice my wife has had someone jump it and it works first time after cables are hooked up. I have checked the terminals are clean and tight at fuse panel, fuse link and battery and also installed a second new battery to also be sure. I was even looking at getting a higher end battery just to check if the CA are weak but everything is in spec. I have had the batteries tested in and out of the car by you franchise auto parts places and all has been good there

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
547 Posts
Well I'd ensure the Start Relay contacts are good in that case since it closes but doesn't get power to crank. Had a problem on a Hyundai and had to jumper the terminals in the socket to start it with a pair of long allen keys. If there is no 12V at on of the terminals to the relay then nothing will happen. Its what trouble shooting is all about. A meter and/or a light probe is needed after that.

PS They'er dirt cheap. Less than $20

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2014
7 Posts
I have to say I'll be leaving my 2014 Sorento at the dealer tomorrow (again) because my wife was stuck for 30 minutes today. So far since 2017 the dealer has replaced the starter twice and the brake switch once. Is anyone getting an "align steering wheel" message when this happens? I've noticed it more than once. Also, wife couldn't get the push button trick to work. The car previously was looked at in late August.

Further: Now the Inhibitor Switch has been replaced. Has anyone had that done and continued to have starting problems?

·
Registered
Sorento 2018
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Sorento EX and I am also having starting issues with the exact same symtoms. Car does its self test and all is fine, hit the start button and car does nothing but make a very mild click on the passenger side. I have taken the car to the dealer twice were they can not replicate the issue and refuse to do any work on it without confirmation of what is wrong..... Guess standard troubleshooting is out the window now a days. I am picking it up tonight and I bet you tomorrow it wont start but just happens to start for the dealer every time but never starts for us unless its in our garage. I honestly think it hasnt started for them and they cant figure out the cause and are just telling us that it starts just fine. Any ideas. Battery is good and it looks normal just doesnt crank over at all until you push the button up to 40 times.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento LX, V6
8 Posts
Just curious if you’re still having this issue? I have a 2014 Kia Sorento LX and am having the same issue. It happens randomly except today it happen twice. I’ve booked it into Kia on Monday but most likely they won’t know what the issue is unless it happens while there. When the issue happens all interior lights turn on and the engine just clicks. I was unable to turn off the lights and it would continue to try starting. My battery is new. Thanks to another forum, I read to place the car in park and move it into neutral and try starting. So far that has worked each time but HOW FRUSTRATING! If anyone could shed some light on this issue before I bring it in would be most helpful.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just curious if you’re still having this issue? I have a 2014 Kia Sorento LX and am having the same issue. It happens randomly except today it happen twice. I’ve booked it into Kia on Monday but most likely they won’t know what the issue is unless it happens while there. When the issue happens all interior lights turn on and the engine just clicks. I was unable to turn off the lights and it would continue to try starting. My battery is new. Thanks to another forum, I read to place the car in park and move it into neutral and try starting. So far that has worked each time but HOW FRUSTRATING! If anyone could shed some light on this issue before I bring it in would be most helpful.
Yes, I originated this thread and I'm still having problems. It did it to me today. I hadn't been back to read additional posts to this thread and I may ask for them to replace the push button. Let me know what happened with your vehicle at the dealership, if you don't mind. Thank you!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts