Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SX has two sensors that look like buttons on the front dash, right near the bottom of the windshield, situated immediately in front of the driver and passenger. There appears to be a photo of what is described as a singular sensor on Page 4-134 of the Canadian manual in the Automatic Climate Control section. Manual says not to place anything over it to ensure better control of the heating and cooling system.
I would not think that these are temperature sensors given exposure to the sun.
They are the likely spot for monitoring humidity except the thread under Rain Sensor, says the sensor on the windshield on the passenger side of the rearview mirror is the humidity sensor.
I have also wondered where the "auto" head light sensor is as in previous cars, it was on the dash near the windshield.

·
Registered
427 Posts
^^Exactly! A strong sun in late spring can make the inside of your car feel quite hot, even on a cool day. So the system says "ok, it's only 55 deg outside, but the sun is very intense, so let's set the HVAC to send cool air instead of warm air"

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured there are temperature sensors, presumably in a shade area under the dash, separate ones for driver and passenger. With a "hot" sun on a spring day, sun would cause temperature inside the car to rise. Assuming it rose above the temperature setting, then cool air would be generated, external air if cool outside, from the A/C if not.

·
Registered
05 Mitsubishi MPV, 2013 Sorento 2.2. diesel RHD AWD
64 Posts
One is a light sensor for the auto headlights, the other is a solar intensity sensor for the auto climate control.
May I know which one is for the light sensor, the left or right? I toying with them by covering each with black cloth but still can't tell which is which? :mad:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Put it out in the sun with the ignition on and the lights in Auto. Cover one sensor. If it's the photo sensor, the lights will come on in less than 5 seconds, if not...they won't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts