Kia Forum banner

Purge valve? Incorrect gear ratios? 06’ Rio LX

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ron1004 
#1 ·
Okay, SO. I replaced all plugs and coils, solving my misfires. Got a transmission flush to attempt to solve my incorrect gear 4 ratio, sadly that did not work. However, after refueling my car hates to start and I’ve found out this is most likely due to a bad purge valve (also the reason behind my car throwing an evap code). Could this also be the reason my gear 4 ratio is throwing a code? Could the purge valve solve this as well?

#2 ·
Doubtful the two are related....the transaxle does not care about the charcoal canister purge valve.....

#6 ·
FWIW while this won't help you with your transmission issue, like many I also experienced this problem of my Kia Rio being hard to start and then stalling after a fill-up. After researching it and eliminating various other potential causes, I decided that it was probably a bad purge valve. So I ordered an OEM replacement on Amazon for $21, and installed it (which was a bit of a pain since I don't have clamp pliers and it's in a semi-tight area), and the problem went away. My gas mileage also appears to have improved, although it's too soon to tell for sure. I need to put 100-200 miles on the car and then find out. As for your gear 4 ratio issue, could it be a bad/slipping 4th gear?

#9 ·
I have also ordered the purge valve and it is arriving and will be replaced Saturday. I've decided there's too many possible outcomes as to what the gear 4 issue could be and am having it diagnosed at AAMCO this week. But the purge valve solving you startup after refuel is really good to hear and I'm hoping mine will result the same way!

#8 ·
Ten second Google search......
Good place to start!

P0734 Kia Description
If the actual gear position is higher than the position (4th) supposed by TCM, the slip ratio will be more than normal. In case the ratio exceeds the specified value, TCM judges this diagnosis malfunction.
www.autocodes.com › p0734_kia
P0734 KIA Fourth Gear Incorrect Ratio - AutoCodes

Feedback
About Featured Snippets
People also ask
What is the code p0734?

How do I fix error code p0734?
What Repairs Will Fix P0734?
  1. Change transmission fluid / filter.
  2. Repair or replace damaged wiring and/or connectors.
  3. Repair or replace failed transmission or torque convertor component.
www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com › p0734
P0734: Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio DTC Trouble Code

Search for: How do I fix error code p0734?

#10 ·
Did you get the new valve installed and did it at least solve the stall after refill issue? My gas mileage also improved, but not quite as much as I'd hoped. I mostly do urban stop and go driving for relatively short distances, plus it's winter so more stress on the car, so maybe that's it. Also, 157k miles, so older engine, looser pistons, lower compression, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.