Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the solenoid that opens the vacuum line to the gas vapor tank. It should be located somewhere in the engine compartment, but I can't find it.

Does anyone know where it is on a 2005 Kia Sportage V6? A picture would be an extra bonus.

In case you're wondering why I'm trying to find it. The card starts easily and runs great EXCEPT the first time you start it after filling up with gas. Then it doesn't want to start and when it does, it may or may not run rough for a few minutes. After those few minutes, it's back to the wonderful little SUV it usually is. A little internet research suggests that it could be the PCSV has failed open. SO first step is to find it and test it before I start throwing parts at it.

Thanks for your help.

Gavin

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Hi Gavin,

Recommend you sign up at the kiatechinfo website (see my sig.) using Internet Explorer, there you can view the [Service Info] for your Sportage..
--
In the interim, see attached pdf file showing the location of the PCSV on the '05 v6 motor,

Regards,
GottaCruise

Attachments

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
304 Posts
I have had the same issue with my Sportage (2006 2.6l V6). If you over fill your tank, i.e. keep filling to get as much fuel into the tank as you can, then fuel runs into the canaster that is connected to the purge contronl valve. When it opens, the liquid fuel is sucked into the engine, as apposed to just the vapors. The engine can't compensate for the extra fuel going in. I found this out after watching my air fuel ratio and fuel trims as well. When it happens, the fuel mixture goes very rich, and the ECU can't work out where the extra fuel is comming from, so it leans out the trims. A tip is after the first and then second cutouf from the fuel pump (at the gas station), don'tput any more fuel in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry to take so long replying to this. For the V6 the valve is located slightly behind and below air intake to the manifold.

I replaced it and the car now starts just fine after filling up with gas, so that problem is solved. Interestingly, the valve tested ok initially, but when irepeatedly applied and removed 12volts to the sontacts on the valve it would intermittently hang open. So even though it looked good at first it was failing at inopertune times.

New valve, no more problem.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good to see it is rectified:)

·
Registered
2009 Sportage LX V6 4WD, 2011 Mack GU813 405M
62 Posts
A personal rule of mine is to only fill up to the first click off for fuel economy calculation reasons. Good to know it serves more purpose than just that

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been experiencing same problem with the engine dying right after filling the gas tank on my 2005 v6 Sportage. I think I've located the purge valve that I have to replace to solve the problem. It's in the attached pics. Can someone please confirm that I have located it correctly, and what would be the procedure to replace it. I can't easily reach it or see it entirely.

Thanks!

The big picture with air intake hose disconnected . . ..jpg Here's the bigger picture. I've disconnected the air duct leading to the air intake port.

Is this the purge valve just below the air intake port, with the hose leading from its center.jpg I think that's the purge valve in the center of the pic located just below the air intake port with a clamped tube connected to the valve.

Here's the new one:

Dorman 911-800 Fuel/Emissions Purge Valve for Hyundai/Kia

61j0YjKGIFL._SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
304 Posts
That is it.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks tysinbad! I'm not sure how to get the old valve out since I cannot see the back of the valve to see how it's attached. Judging by the looks of the new valve, it has a tube leading from the back as well as the front, so I'm not sure I should yank on the valve to remove it. Can you tell me how the valve is attached?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks tysinbad! I'm not sure how to get the old valve out since I cannot see the back of the valve to see how it's attached. Judging by the looks of the new valve, it has a tube leading from the back as well as the front, so I'm not sure I should yank on the valve to remove it. Can you tell me how the valve is attached?
If I remember correctly, the valve is affixed to a bracket that is bolted to either the cylinder head, or the inlet manifold. Actually, I just looked at the pictures you posted. The valve is fixed to a bracket that is bolted yo another bracket that holds the inlet manifold to the cylinder head.

If you go searching for advice on how to remove the spark plugs, then you will most likely find a picture of the bracket I am talking about. It is a bit of a prick to get to. Not actually hard, you just have to lie over the top of the engine to reach it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ah, laying my body on top of the engine - didn't think of that! I'll be ordering the part soon, then I'll do the replacement. Thanks again, tysinbad!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I gave up trying to do this myself. I could get my hand around it, but I could not fully see it. So, instead of risk getting it wrong, I got my mechanic to install it for only $30! It now works great. No more hard starting after refueling! Thanks again.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Worth it for 30 dollars I think :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts