Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning folks,

I'm interested in buying a 2000 sportage 2 door soft top, and was just hoping to get some advice from you guys beforehand.

A quick history: I had a 2002 4 door sportage for 3-4 years and I really loved it. It was kind of a legend in my circle of friends. The sportage and I went to hell and back together and it treated me very well. I had some minor issues with it but overall it was a great experience. Fast forward a few years, I have a real job now and am ready to buy another vehicle to replace my ford taurus. I've been looking at more expensive options, mostly a 2009 subaru forester, but I'm reluctant to spend that much money on a car when my commute is only across town. So when I discovered this sportage, it kind of hearkened me back to a simpler (and cheaper) time, and I've been interested in it ever since.

It has 75000 miles and some vacuum issues with the 4x4. It looks like that's fairly common with this generation sportage. They've got it listed for 3900 but the guy said he'd help me out on the price given the 4x4 issues. So maybe 3000-3500. When I owned my sportage, it was under warranty which gave me some peace of mind. I always tend to ramble on in these things, so I'll just fire off some questions and if you can answer any of them, I'd be grateful.

1. Do you think it's worth that price?
2. Would just putting lock hubs on the front be an easy solution?
3. How intuitive is that soft top to remove and install?
4. How brutal will that soft top be during minnesota winters?
5. Any other issues I should be aware of?

So again, the particulars are 2000 Kia Sportage base soft top, 75,000 miles, manual transmission, 4x4 vacuum issues. 3500ish probably. I just think it could be a pretty fun little rig. I enjoyed my old kia as it was unique and unpretentious. The 2 door seems even more unique.

I apologize for the bombardment, but things are moving kind of quickly and I'll probably be buying (or not) this weekend. So any advice would be much appreciated.

-Boe

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Welcome / price seems a little high not knowing the condition of the body / top / and maintenance of the vehicle .that's your call .

As for the hubs/manual locking hubs are the way to go,about 150 dollars a pair. Change over is ez about 20 minutes for both.

As for the top removal not having one i don't know, maybe you can some feed back from other members.

Also living in snow country, i know what a pain it can be , again top condition is important.

At 75000 miles check an see if the timing belt was changed.
Their are some quirts with these buggies but there are many members on this forum that are willing to help.

Chief

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
If you do much highway driving the soft top can get quite loud. That is my main issue with it. I've never had the top of of mine because the rear window zipper is messed up.

You have to be careful with the plastic windows. You darn sure do not want to use a brush in them when it snows because you will scratch the living hell out of them. You also have to be careful how you clean them.

There is very little cargo room in a two door. I removed the rear seat as it takes up most of the rear cargo area.

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
649 Posts
1. Do you think it's worth that price?For CA its price is good but sounds like for others it is high
2. Would just putting lock hubs on the front be an easy solution?Definately plan on $150.00 for manual hubs
3. How intuitive is that soft top to remove and install?Top removal is easy but putting it back on when it is cold is a real pain. It may need to be replaced if it is worn out so plan on $350.00 for a new one in a couple of years.
4. How brutal will that soft top be during minnesota winters?Heater is really good in mine but I live in CA
5. Any other issues I should be aware of?Plan on doing the heater core sooner than later. $50.00-$125.00 if you do it yourself, around $1000.00 if you have KIA do it. Road noise is higher, Turning radius is incredible, They look great lifted!!

Hope this helps, UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
195 Posts
I guess you are from MN, so I would check good for any rust issues. The price seems a bit high to me. I would not buy a soft top for a daily driver in MN. There, that's my opinion and good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
+1 on the Timing Belt, if original it will need to be replaced soon, and would recommend the full TB service, including water pump.. Parts for an OEM Kia kit cost around $250-$300, more or less, if you do the repair yourself, $700-$800 if you have it done at a shop / at the Kia Dealer.

+1 on the Warn Hubs, when the auto-locking hubs go south :D, it's always at the time you really need them..

If the body and frame are in excellent condition, the price is towards the high end for an excellent condition Sportage in this area,

although I would start subtracting $$$ for your bid, based on service history, tune-up items needed, potential brake service, tires, and the above.

Best of luck on the purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, folks.

I appreciate your feedback. I decided to pump the breaks on the immediate purchase. I really hate rushing into things, so I've decided to do a bit more research. As for this sportage, I'm still considering it among other vehicles. I mostly think it would be kind of a fun/quirky direction to go in, that my friends and I could have fun with and that would serve me well for a year or two. I'm just a little reluctant about its reliability. When I bought my '02 sportage it was sort of a saw it, drove it, bought it, impulse decision and I turned out to really like it, but upon doing some research later it seemed like a lot of people didn't like the first generation. Kia certainly makes a fine product these days (a bit too progressive in the styling for my liking, however.)

I wish the vehicle was a bit closer. It's about 300 miles away so driving down there would be an investment in itself. The other rigs I'm considering are a 07- Honda Element and an 09- Subaru Forester. Each are progressively more expensive and bring their own distinct value to the table I guess. I just feel like the Kia could maybe fulfill some of my needs without feeling the burn of spending 15-20k. On the other hand, I would really hate it if it turned out to be a lemon and the 4k I did spend was essentially wasted.

I guess that's sort of my plight at the present time. I appreciate your insights and will be perusing this site in the coming days as I make my decision.

·
Registered
2002 sportage 4x4 manual
102 Posts
I paid $4500 for a 2002 4x4 4 1/2 years ago with 75000 miles so seems high $ to me . same issues with 4x4 but cheap fix , maybe $5 for new hoses. use fuel hose , holds up real well.maybe spent $400-500 scince , valve cover gasket , battery, fan clutch , little probs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts