Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Kia experts,

On my 2013 Kia Sportage 2.4L, I got a DTC of P200A "Intake Manifold Runner Performance".
I think I found the Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) (pictured on a Sorrento manifold).
So,

1) Should the vacuum motor be actuating on engine start or gunning the throttle? (Mine doesn't)
2) Does the actuator return the butterfly valves in the manifold to the wide open position if the actuator is dead?

It doesn't seem to affect the car performance in any noticable way.

I read somewhere on a Kia forum that there was ECM software update that is really the cause (not mechanical). Any info on that?

Otherwise I'll take any help you can give.

Much thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
This system turbulates intake air, operates only during the first few seconds of a cold start, and is mechanical not vacuum. How did you determine the motor is not working? This code is normally set as a result of damaged or dirty parts of the system located in the intake manifold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This system turbulates intake air, operates only during the first few seconds of a cold start, and is mechanical not vacuum. How did you determine the motor is not working? This code is normally set as a result of damaged or dirty parts of the system located in the intake manifold.

Hi kiaguy002,

Well, I'm still not sure I'm looking at the right part of the manifold. See the pix in my post. I drew a red box around the mechanism. Is that the IMRC? Am I looking at the right part?

I had a friend start the car when cold while looking at that actuator arm that turns the rotating shaft in the pic and it didn't move. Reving the engine didn't move it either.

Do you know if it returns (with the return spring) to normally open? That's where it is currently sitting: at the returned position.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
BW20,

I have a 2017 Sportage with the 2.4 L engine, and here is what that item does on my car. The part with the red box in your picture is the Variable Intake Solenoid Actuator. The electrically operated valve in the upper left of your red box is the Variable Intake Solenoid Valve. The valve opens or closes based on a signal from the ECU. When open, it allows engine vacuum to energize the actuator, shortening the length of the inlet manifold. The valve opens at low and high engine speeds, but is closed at medium speeds.

The system that creates turbulence in the intake is the Variable Charge Motion Actuator. It is a mechanical system that operates on start, then opens up once the engine reaches 2,600 rpm. On my engine it's mounted on the opposite side of the intake manifold. For my car, P200A refers to this part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BW20,

I have a 2017 Sportage with the 2.4 L engine, and here is what that item does on my car. The part with the red box in your picture is the Variable Intake Solenoid Actuator. The electrically operated valve in the upper left of your red box is the Variable Intake Solenoid Valve. The valve opens or closes based on a signal from the ECU. When open, it allows engine vacuum to energize the actuator, shortening the length of the inlet manifold. The valve opens at low and high engine speeds, but is closed at medium speeds.

The system that creates turbulence in the intake is the Variable Charge Motion Actuator. It is a mechanical system that operates on start, then opens up once the engine reaches 2,600 rpm. On my engine it's mounted on the opposite side of the intake manifold. For my car, P200A refers to this part.
karlh and kiaguy002,

That really helps. I was way off.
I found the VCMA. It is on the opposite side of the manifold, like Karl's 2017. I can see the motor shaft move about an eighth of a turn on starting and maybe another eighth revving up the RPMs. So it looks like it is operational but maybe the rotation is restricted if there is a problem inside the manifold.

So, is my only option to remove the manifold and debug it from there?

Much thanks for those helpful replies.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
.... So, is my only option to remove the manifold and debug it from there?...
One Forte owner reported that when he removed the VCM, he could see rust/corrosion on the components inside the manifold. He sprayed MAF cleaner into it, and let it sit for a few hours, and that apparently did the trick for him. I'd choose throttle body cleaner, but there's probably not much difference in those product either.

Another guy did remove the manifold instead of trying the cleaning first, and discovered that one of the component parts inside the manifold was bent. He couldn't figure out why that happened, but he managed to get it back together ok.

If this happens to mine I'll certainly try the cleaning before removing the manifold, but this is your vehicle and your choice.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
.... Attached is an excerpt from the service manual for my 2017 Sportage. .....
WOW - your manual is light years better than the KGIS garbage that many of us use for the earlier KIAs. I'm guessing that KIA has simply stepped up their documentation on the newer vehicles, and didn't go back a do anything similar for the prior vehicles. But just in case I'll ask where you found that manual, if you don't mind sharing that information.

·
Registered
158 Posts
WOW - your manual is light years better than the KGIS garbage that many of us use for the earlier KIAs. I'm guessing that KIA has simply stepped up their documentation on the newer vehicles, and didn't go back a do anything similar for the prior vehicles. But just in case I'll ask where you found that manual, if you don't mind sharing that information.
What I posted earlier I got from the KGIS about a year ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
karlh and kiaguy002,

Great repair manual page, karlh. It helps visualize what's going on although mine looks a little different with no connecting rod and direct drive.
It is certainly easier to take off the VCM and spray cleaner in there but I have to ask how rust can build up? My manifold and VCM external parts are plastic. It's all cleaned air after the air filter so what rusts/corrodes, the flap shaft?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
... how rust can build up? My manifold and VCM external parts are plastic. It's all cleaned air after the air filter so what rusts/corrodes, the flap shaft?
Sorry but I can't answer your questions, because I only got the information second-hand, and it wasn't detailed enough to give the answers you're looking for. I'm guessing that the rust/gunk/corrosion was causing the contact surfaces of the rotating assembly to bind or stick, but that's just speculation on my part.

But given that removing the VCM and cleaning is relatively easy, my take is why not try it? I'm interested in finding out if simply spraying some cleaner every few years would be the answer to eliminating the code. But if you have the time, and are comfortable removing the manifold, that would of course give you a complete picture of what's going on.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
karlh and kiaguy002,

Great repair manual page, karlh. It helps visualize what's going on although mine looks a little different with no connecting rod and direct drive.
It is certainly easier to take off the VCM and spray cleaner in there but I have to ask how rust can build up? My manifold and VCM external parts are plastic. It's all cleaned air after the air filter so what rusts/corrodes, the flap shaft?
But you do have oil fumes and vapors(some condensation) from the PCV system that goes into the manifold and can (does) collect in the runners. Kia with IMRC are not the only cars with this problem. MOPAR 2.4L motors have the same concerns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But you do have oil fumes and vapors(some condensation) from the PCV system that goes into the manifold and can (does) collect in the runners. Kia with IMRC are not the only cars with this problem. MOPAR 2.4L motors have the same concerns.
That does make sense. That PCV condensate has got to go somewhere. Hate to yank the manifold but will try pulling the VCM first and shine a light in there. Much thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BW20,

Attached is an excerpt from the service manual for my 2017 Sportage. The diagram on the second page depicts the closed and open positions of the flap. It doesn't look like there is much rotation, but unfortunately the manual doesn't give a spec for the system.

Question? Does your Sportage VCMA intake flappers make a knock noise like it's sticking before it opens? Dealer here says that is normal?

I want to see if anyone has experienced this?

My Sportage is a 2017 AWD, with a 2.4l.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BW20,

Attached is an excerpt from the service manual for my 2017 Sportage. The diagram on the second page depicts the closed and open positions of the flap. It doesn't look like there is much rotation, but unfortunately the manual doesn't give a spec for the system.
Anyone know where I can find something similar for a 2.4 L Sorento? (2011-2015)

For the life of me, I cannot get to the 3rd and furthest bolt. A 10 min Job has literally taken days. Tried everything Except taking half of the engine apart.

Any help would be extremely coveted at this point.

·
Super Moderator
9,474 Posts

For the life of me, I cannot get to the 3rd and furthest bolt. A 10 min Job has literally taken days. Tried everything Except taking half of the engine apart.

Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

I've never found any decent documentation for KIAs in that range of model years. I can't say for certain that nothing (other than the well known KGIS garbage) exists, but the question has been asked many times on these forums, and nothing has ever been posted. And my Forte is not the same as your vehicle, so I can't even offer any hands on help either. Perhaps if you go to a stealership, someone there might take pity on you and give you the information you need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts